Why become a member? ×

Another newbie

GeoffD

Hi everyone, been lurking the last few days reading all your opinions on lightweight 12" cabs, so thought I ought to join up.....

Been playing bass for 4 years now, I decided one Saturday morning (at the age of 55) for no apparent reason to go buy a Yamaha TRB174 & a Roland cube 30 & start playing.... anyways here I am, I know have 2 Precisions, a Jazz and several other basses.... At the moment I use a Markbass little mark 3 amp with a 102HF & a 151HR.... although I have just bought a very lightly used TH500 head & this morning ordered a Barefaced super compact.... so I'm looking forward to trying those out very soon....

I spent the first 3 months wearing my fingers (and the wife's patience) out in the spare room, then I joined a pop/rock band & had my first gig a month later.... to say I was crapping myself was an understatement... left that band a year later due to musical 'differences'..

I now play in a great rock blues trio, where I know I'm punching above my weight.... I just know I'll be found out soon... :gas:

Cheers

Geoff, welcome.
Out of interest, what did you do in those three months to be able to play in a band so soon? I always feel like such a slow learner when I read these sort of feats.

BTW, this is a genuine question not a doubt. After 30 months I am still not a gigging bass player

Edited by Bobthedog

Hi Bob... I don't know really, just sat down and learned songs, I didn't know anything about scales or what notes I was playing... and I only played songs that I knew inside out, after a few weeks of that I talked a mate into dusting off his guitar & jamming with me at home.......... We met a guy in the pub one night who was looking for a bass player, so we both ended up jamming in a rehearsal studio with his band .... we did a couple of freebie gigs for friends parties.........then started gigging in pubs, etc.... I also used to go to blues jam nights & forced myself to get up and play, which was really difficult.

Edited by GeoffD

[quote name='GeoffD' timestamp='1480117722' post='3181883']
I also used to spend hours every day practising..... and I still practice every day, I never get bored with it
[/quote]

That's the key! If you get bored and need patience, it won't happen and you won't learn. If you love it, you will learn and grow.

My teacher tells me he much prefers students of our age (I'm 61 and started two years ago) to the youngsters - he says we're more motivated, and more willing to put in the hours every week between lessons to really make progress.

Well done you! Stay on the roll :)

[quote name='GeoffD' timestamp='1480117486' post='3181881']
Hi Bob... I don't know really, just sat down and learned songs, I didn't know anything about scales or what notes I was playing... and I only played songs that I knew inside out, after a few weeks of that I talked a mate into dusting off his guitar & jamming with me at home.......... We met a guy in the pub one night who was looking for a bass player, so we both ended up jamming in a rehearsal studio with his band .... we did a couple of freebie gigs for friends parties.........then started gigging in pubs, etc.... I also used to go to blues jam nights & forced myself to get up and play, which was really difficult.
[/quote]
[quote name='GeoffD' timestamp='1480117722' post='3181883']
I also used to spend hours every day practising..... and I still practice every day, I never get bored with it
[/quote]
Thank you. Practising songs I can understand, it is the non song practice I was trying to understand. I too play everyday, but always on technique and for my grades. I think I have gone wrong on not spending enough songs away for the grade stuff

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1480118230' post='3181886']
That's the key! If you get bored and need patience, it won't happen and you won't learn. If you love it, you will learn and grow.

My teacher tells me he much prefers students of our age (I'm 61 and started two years ago) to the youngsters - he says we're more motivated, and more willing to put in the hours every week between lessons to really make progress.

Well done you! Stay on the roll :)
[/quote]

Thanks Josie....you're right, I even have my first bass in the office at work, for when I get a quiet spot.... I reckon I still play around 20 hrs a week, trouble is although I'm sure I must be getting better, I don't think I am..... :mellow:

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1480125179' post='3181912']
welcome

be careful, lotsa murders around Durham,I see them on TV, about once a week hehe

But you have a very good copper, Inspector Gently, he'll look after you
[/quote]

Haa.... if only the coppers around here were like Inspector Gently..... :angry:

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1480119266' post='3181890']
Thank you. Practising songs I can understand, it is the non song practice I was trying to understand. I too play everyday, but always on technique and for my grades. I think I have gone wrong on not spending enough songs away for the grade stuff
[/quote]

I don't do any grade stuff to be honest.... I just play songs, I spent the first year playing with a pick... I thought all bass players used picks :unsure: I have gradually moved over to using my fingers & now practice 100 percent with fingers & gig probably 70% fingers & 30% pick... that's probably the only technique I work on... although I have been trying (and failing) to slap for the last year or so.... I just can't do it.... you guys make it look so bloomin easy.....