Why become a member? ×

New Barefaced sub

MoonBassAlpha

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1480196724' post='3182506']
I started a thread on General Discussion yesterday on this - just a 'heads up'

:)
[/quote]

Try to keep amp/cab specific discussions in the amp/cab forum, it's what its here for after all :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1480437425' post='3184399']
Is this for use as a bass cabinet?
[/quote]

I'd hope not... I suspect it's aiming squarely for the 18 PA Subwoofer... where high performance is usually the domain of very heavy, very pricey units. I'd like to see more on the specs associated with this unit because if it can reliably compete with it's competitors at circa half the weight, then they may be onto something.

It would make a great partner to the FR800 I'm sure... however I've not seen any word on a crossover, so it may be the case that some speaker management needs to be factored in.

Guess the details will come out in time... but there's some brave guys buying without the specs being clear!

Looks like there is DSP on board so no need for X-over

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1480438777' post='3184412']
I'd hope not... I suspect it's aiming squarely for the 18 PA Subwoofer... where high performance is usually the domain of very heavy, very pricey units. I'd like to see more on the specs associated with this unit because if it can reliably compete with it's competitors at circa half the weight, then they may be onto something.

It would make a great partner to the FR800 I'm sure... however I've not seen any word on a crossover, so it may be the case that some speaker management needs to be factored in.

Guess the details will come out in time... but there's some brave guys buying without the specs being clear!
[/quote]

Agreed DSP on board [quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1480439381' post='3184422']
Looks like there is DSP on board so no need for X-over
[/quote]

Agreed - but it looks like the audio out is a true through (e.g. it's in parallel with the audio in) - meaning that it's going to send full range to the tops - unless my understanding of the analogue out from the documentation on the power amp is wrong. That can't be ideal? It would depend on your top having it's own crossover too... which most don't... but a certain FR800 could if it's using the same power amp module... but what happens if people don't want to use BF tops?

The DSP could be really quite interesting - do BF subs have a built in cardioid setting for example? That would be a big plus for large scale use.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing what these subs have.

Edited by EBS_freak

Only if you are using half decent powered tops. most manufactures these days have some sort of DSP or at least filtering in them.

The cardioid feature I cant see as a benefit.... you'd need to buy extra units to make the feature work plus I can't see anyone wanting to (no offence) use these units for those sort of gigs

DSP to tune and HPF for speaker protection for sure... - but a box set to be operating with a crossover as a default? A crossover slope vs a HPF are two very different things.

Agreed, you'd be looking for a minimum of 3 for such a setup but I don't know if you'd expect that feature or not - I would wager that one of the competitors to this BF would be the ETX18SP, which has a cardioid DSP at this price point. As you say, I don't know if BF are gunning for the larger PA market or not, I wouldn't like to say.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1480440921' post='3184442']
DSP to tune and HPF for speaker protection for sure... - but a box set to be operating with a crossover as a default? A crossover slope vs a HPF is two very different things.

Agreed, you'd be looking for a minimum of 3 for such a setup but I don't know if you'd expect that feature or not - I would wager that one of the competitors to this BF would be the ETX18SP, which has a cardioid DSP at this price point. As you say, I don't know if BF are gunning for the larger PA market or not, I wouldn't like to say.
[/quote]

I think the Cardioid feature in portable products never really gets used, or at least not by those that understand it properly. If BF are looking to go into mainstream I think they need to look at the cosmetics of the products compared to other brands. Though if they perform.... The light weight feature is ideal for the weekend warriors (EV ETX18SP weighs the same as a small tank)

Apart from a 'ta-da' mail and pic (which I stupidly deleted), Alex has gone very quiet.
The original offer (ten only) was almost too good to turn down - had I still been
actively working I'd have gone for that without a moments hesitation.
I don't think anyone who bought blind at that price will regret it..............

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1480441151' post='3184445']
I think the Cardioid feature in portable products never really gets used, or at least not by those that understand it properly. If BF are looking to go into mainstream I think they need to look at the cosmetics of the products compared to other brands. Though if they perform.... The light weight feature is ideal for the weekend warriors (EV ETX18SP weighs the same as a small tank)
[/quote]

I've known of a couple of guys that use it on smaller gigs - admittedly they are more into the DJing side of stuff rather than the band stuff but it's a feature nonetheless.

Cosmetics... well, theres a whole forums worth of arguments on that one.

The lightweight feature for the weekend warrior and DJ is defo a good market... if it can compete/surpass the competition. These BFs aren't cheap subs - so they'll need to perform and stand up to some abuse. Those EV subs are indeed heavy - circa 50kg - but without looking, I'd say most comparable performing subs are of that sort of magnitude? Anyway, isn't that what the blue wheels were invented for? :P

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1480454688' post='3184610']
I hated gigging with stuff on poles - the sound was simply wrong........
I had some trouble in convincing Alex that I REALLY wanted two Dubsters
(it's a different ethos) to get that 'grunt' out of a 'disco' system.
(hate that word, it sends out all the wrong messages)

[/quote]

Sound simply wrong?

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1480501432' post='3184826']
I could spend the rest of the morning trying to explain -
it's a whole different thing, just as trying to logically define 'heft'.
For this reason (among others) I stopped running a 'disco'
a long time back and called it a Sound System instead:
people seemed to get what I meant..........

[/quote]

I think if you are looking to run a 'rig' then you are not really gonna be using that for bands.... at least I hope not