Why become a member? ×

something from me

RockfordStone

[color=#333333][font=Interstate,]
I have been sat on this song for a number of years, and it has for various reasons never made it past a demo.[/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]
I have always been self conscious about people hearing my own work, which is bizarre as I am more than happy when it is my band stuff. As such, I have struggled to release my solo stuff (despite having a massive back stock of songs).[/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]
I decided then that I had to overcome this fear of letting people hear my stuff, so took some time to record this properly over the last couple of months.[/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]
I'm please with the result. It may not be "finished" in my eyes, but it is printed and will take it's place in my musical history.[/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]
give it a listen and let me know if you like it.[/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Interstate,]
[url="https://soundcloud.com/robslusarmusic/inner-light"]https://soundcloud.com/robslusarmusic/inner-light[/url][/font][/color]

Darn it..! I make a few precious moments available to give this a spin, and that's when Soundcloud decide to not respond..! Blast..! Hellfire and damnation..! Harrumph..!
Never mind; I'll try to give it another go tomorrow (or soon, if it's not possible then...).
To be continued...

The Good News is that I managed to play it through (and capture it, for replays...), so have now run it through a few times. The Bad News..? None, I'm afraid; in fact, the Official Term for pieces of this quality is 'Jolly Good; Jolly Good Indeed'. It's been quite a while since I've had the opportunity to listen to a solo piece as good as this.
Criticism..? Well, I could, if you insist, but that'd be simply a question of personal choices and taste, rather than really spot-lighting flaws (maybe a tiny glitch where the guitar solo comes back in, close to the end..?). The composition is sound, the arrangement fitting, the execution spot-on, the lyrics worthwhile, the singing correct for context. It made me think, if comparison is to be made at all, of Trevor Reznor in his 'noisier' days. My choices..? I'd have chosen a 'thicker' snare, maybe doubled with snares on during the refrains..? I'd have chosen more tonal separation for the principal guitars, to better distinguish them, I'd certainly have doubled the vocals (not that they're not well sung; in fact they're really excellent...), simply to, again, 'thicken' the voice in the face of the wall of shred behind, and which I'd lower by a brick or two. Tiny production details, really, that don't brig discussion; they're just choices. All in all, you can be rightly proud of the work, and need fear no exposure. I'm perhaps not the harshest of critics, but if it's bad, I'd say it's bad. It's not, it's Jolly Good; Jolly Good Indeed. Well done, lad; we'd like to hear more from you, in similar vein or otherwise.
Thanks for sharing.

cheers dad, thanks for the feedback, very happy with the reznor comparison :)

i'll have a listen again for that glitch, i've listened so many times while mixing this week i think i've become a bit blind earwise so i probably missed something.

i see what you mean about the snare, i did try and change it later in the mix, but it then started to have knock on effect everywhere else (i export from superior drummer rather than using its inbuilt processing ya see). I will keep it in mind for my next one.

this is one i needed to get finished and out. due to confidence issues and such i havent really recorded and mixed much in the past year so I am happy it has come out as well as it has. next one will be a bit tighter.