Why become a member? ×

Precision pick ups

FinnDave

I have two US Standard Precisions, both fairly recent so they have the custom shop pick ups in them. I also have a recent Mex standard, and would like to get the same sound out of that s the US ones. I am not sure exactly which pick up the US Standards use, can anyone enlighten me, please? I assume they are available from Fender without a bass attached, but if not, would a quarter pounder or similar give me the depth and clarity I get from the US pick ups?

Avoid the quaterpounder, huge pole pieces and output make it a lovely pickup but nothing like the Custom Shop 60's P pickup in your bass - yes they are sold separately. Edit - as a 62 P Bass pickup, can't imagine them being too different tbh.

If that's what you like, go for it. I like them too, but chose a Lindy Fralin as they always knock me senseless :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

I'm struggling to work that out. They don't seem to market a 60's, but having owned a fair few basses with the the 62 CS P pickup in I can vouch for it being very nice. If it's the only one you can order, which I suspect it is, then I'd take the risk myself.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1480173947' post='3182254']
I'm struggling to work that out. They don't seem to market a 60's, but having owned a fair few basses with the the 62 CS P pickup in I can vouch for it being very nice. If it's the only one you can order, which I suspect it is, then I'd take the risk myself.
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking, there isn't a pick up in their line up that has the same description as the one listed in the US Standard blurb. Maybe I should try emailing Fender and see what they say.

The 'Fender Original' that they list has sometimes been called the '62 Re-issue' model. They are the vintage tone P pups I have always bought.

BAX have them at £61 [url="https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/bass-pickups/fender-precision-bass-original-vintage-design-pickups"]https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/bass-pickups/fender-precision-bass-original-vintage-design-pickups[/url]

I'm a bit concerned that the '62' P bass pick up is not the same as the '[font="SourceSansPro-Regular, Helvetica, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"][color="#000000"]Custom Shop '60s' as fitted to my US Standards. I've just written to Fender to see what they say. [/color][/font]

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1480176278' post='3182281']
They are definitely not the same, but I don't know what the difference is.
[/quote]

That's good to know, I won't buy one on spec if they're not the same. Let's see what Fender have to say.

Well, Fender customer service is pretty damn good! I got a reply from them in a few hours, on a Saturday (and a holiday weekend to boot, as they are in the US of A). Here is what it said:

[quote]we unfortunately do not sell that exact same pickup that comes in the American Standard Precision Bass. However, the Pure Vintage '63 pickups will be very, very similar as they are the same magnet type and wire used on the Am Std P Bass. In fact, the pickup in the Am Std is listed as a '62 pickup, so I'd imagine the '63's design isn't too far off. I hope this helps![/quote]

I thought I remembered you saying this when we met the other week. How does it sound wth that pick up? I gigged the black US Standard yesterday, lovely full warm tone but plenty of punch, then used the Mex P at a local blues jam this afternoon, the standard mex pick up is nothing like as good as the US one. It sounded too trebly, no real punch there.

It`s pretty near the same Dave, I`ve not gigged the Mex but at home volumes it`s virtually there, maybe a little toppier but I put that down to both the better wood and the thicker neck/headstock of the US accounting for the beefier sound.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1480175031' post='3182262']
The 'Fender Original' that they list has sometimes been called the '62 Re-issue' model. They are the vintage tone P pups I have always bought.

BAX have them at £61 [url="https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/bass-pickups/fender-precision-bass-original-vintage-design-pickups"]https://www.bax-shop...-design-pickups[/url]
[/quote]

+1, I used these on a 79 P and a Classic 50s P, fantastic results. Seemed to capture a fuller range than the stock pups they replaced.

Gave up on my quest to find an exact replica of the pick ups in my US Standards, and fitted a quarter pounder this morning. Not the same as the US, but a definite improvement on the Mexican standard. I'll need to try it with a band to decided how worthwhile the swap was, but back to back with the US through my little practice combo it's bassier, which I am happy about as it takes the treble ring off my playing now that I am forced to use a pick for everything. Doesn't have that lovely breathy edge of the US, but I suspect that is something i only hear at home, doubt if it comes across when playing with a band.

Interesting. I played a US Standard and a MIM P at Absolute Music last week and was shocked at the difference. The US was a lovely sound, the MIM had the worst sound of any P type I had ever heard. Thin sounding, my Peavey Milestone P is miles better.

I don't subscribe to body wood affecting the sound to any degree, although the neck may have some influence. So is it just the pickups? I suspect it is.

I refuse to accept that the wood serves any purpose other to hold the bridge, neck, and pickups in place and look good, so I am sure that the pick ups make all the difference. My MiM P bass wasn't the worst sounding P I've had by a long way, but the US is excellent. I think the MiM sounds a lot better with the quarter pounder, but I need to wait a few days until I can try it with a band.