Why become a member? ×

Bass cable question

josie

Question from a relative newbie: how important is it to use a specifically bass cable with an electric bass? I understand why it's important to have a bass amp, and stuff about the properties of low-frequency sound waves, but the cable?

I'm asking because I need another cable, and "bass" as opposed to "guitar or bass" cables seem to be hard to find, and expensive when you can find them. Given that I'm playing through a Marshall 15 watt bass amp at home, and through whatever general-purpose rig is available when I'm out, is it worth holding out for a bass cable, or will a decent quality general-purpose one be good enough?

Any advice welcome!

There is unlikely to be any difference in tone, to make it worth seeking a "bass" cable. Its true that cables, the length of cables, and whether they're curly or not, does affect tone, but its easy to re-adjust if the cable makes the tone too dull or bright using the tone controls on the amp. So don't worry about it (especially with a 15W Marshall amp) and choose cables according to length, L- or straight connections and durability. Also you can get ones which tend not to kink up, which is handy.

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1480195265' post='3182490']
Question from a relative newbie: how important is it to use a specifically bass cable with an electric bass? I understand why it's important to have a bass amp, and stuff about the properties of low-frequency sound waves, but the cable?

I'm asking because I need another cable, and "bass" as opposed to "guitar or bass" cables seem to be hard to find, and expensive when you can find them. Given that I'm playing through a Marshall 15 watt bass amp at home, and through whatever general-purpose rig is available when I'm out, is it worth holding out for a bass cable, or will a decent quality general-purpose one be good enough?

Any advice welcome!
[/quote]

Don't stress about it. There is NO DIFFERENCE (yes I know I'm 'shouting' :-) between the criteria for a bass vs guitar cable.
Assuming you have a passive output (no battery powered preamp) then the important thing is that you have a 'low noise' cable cable. This means that it has a semiconducting layer between the inner conductor and the shield. (This reduces noise caused by movement of the cable). Proper 'Guitar' Cables have this.
This is related to the impedance of the pickup rather than the guitar / bass frequencies - they are only an octave (x2) apart which is nothing in electronic terms.
The other issue is Cable capacitance which will affect frequency response- not so much a bass issue but I'd suggest Klotz or Van Damme 'instrument cable' - as much for the mechanical properties as the electrical noise issue. Suggest see Studiospares offerings or OBBM on this site (no personal experience but plenty of seemingly good people seem to rate highly).

Thanks all. I popped into Johnny Roadhouse Manchester this morning (dangerously close to my work) and picked up the best they had, a D'Addario "instrument cable". I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet, but given the limitations of my amp I'm sure it will be fine.

Love the advice and support here!