Why become a member? ×

Wooly sounding Ampeg combo?

LITTLEWING

My recently acquired Ampeg BA-115 combo (100 watt 1 X 15") seems to sound a little 'lifeless' in the top end department although the tweeter is really crisp with the treble on full and the bottom end is awesome. I played thru one years ago regularly at a local studio and don't quite remember it sounding that way. Is there a crossover in there that may have failed that I can bypass or is it something amplifier-wise? It's not unplayable by any means and sounds okay with a bit of middle in a full band situation but just seems lacking in top end presence.
If there is a crossover in there, how does the front baffle come off to remove the speaker to access the inside?

I do not know your particular combo but most 15" tweeter combinations have a dip in the response, either side of the crossover frequency.

I recently had the pleasure of hearing a 12 with tweeter, properly crossed over and it revealed how much I am missing.

I have a Gallien Kruger MB115.

Have you turned the Tweeter control on the back all the way up? Also try angling it up a bit towards you. I had one and it was fine - mine was on casters so I took the back wheels off to add a little bit of tilt to the cab. You do need to be a little bit away from the cab to appreciate the full sound though. Close up it does sounds a bit muffled.

The grill is on a wooden frame and is held on with pretty tough Velcro - it just pulls off the front but needs a bit of oomph!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, most satisfying update!! Removed one of the bass ports on the rear, shimmied one of my fortunate small hands into the cab section and slipped the positive wire off the tweeter/horn annoying device. NOW I can turn the treble up and get that sweet edge without it sounding like a wasp's nest every time I move a finger up or down a string.
I know I'm going to sound old fashioned, but unless your entire set consists of every slap and pop tune in the world, there is no bleedin' point putting an HF horn of any description in a bass, yes BASS, cabinet. It's meant to reproduce low notes and low notes only.

Rant over. Merry Xmas dudes!!

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1480328165' post='3183319']
Have you turned the Tweeter control on the back all the way up? Also try angling it up a bit towards you. I had one and it was fine - mine was on casters so I took the back wheels off to add a little bit of tilt to the cab. You do need to be a little bit away from the cab to appreciate the full sound though. Close up it does sounds a bit muffled.

The grill is on a wooden frame and is held on with pretty tough Velcro - it just pulls off the front but needs a bit of oomph!
[/quote]
I oomphed quite a lot using a larger screw to replace one hole used to secure the badge. It doesn't want to play the game. Good news though. (see my latest entry)

[quote name='LITTLEWING' timestamp='1481465832' post='3192450']
I know I'm going to sound old fashioned, but unless your entire set consists of every slap and pop tune in the world, there is no bleedin' point putting an HF horn of any description in a bass, yes BASS, cabinet. It's meant to reproduce low notes and low notes only.
[/quote]Every low note consists of a fundamental plus harmonics that extend all the way up to at least 8kHz. There's nothing wrong with tweeters, the issue is that there's a big gap between where woofers, especially fifteens, drop off and tweeters kick in, on average at least an octave. Why? Because using tweeters that go no lower than 3.5kHz, if that, is the least expensive method of augmenting a woofer. The right way to do it is to either use a true midrange driver, or to use tweeters that can go to 2.5kHz or lower. But that jacks up the price.

Bill M is so true, it WAS that frequency gap with the combo which made it so annoying. Maybe if there was a control to adjust to taste, that would have made it for me.
I'm all for a full range speaker system to make a bass sound great but my Ampeg combo was a bit like when you go round someone's house and the colour telly is so full of colour everyone looks orange.