Why become a member? ×

Removing pre-amp help

mimsy89

Just got an ibanez gwb35 and am not happy with the preamp (noisy) and would like to try the bass as passive. I found a wiring diagram but but sure how I'd remove it out the circuit?

Thanks

Wiring diagram-
http://www2.ibanez.com/supportResources/wiring/2006/WB040007.gif

You need to connect the hot output from the vol, middle contact/yellow wire, to the tip contact of the output jack, I would think it is the white wire but recommend you check this with a multi meter.
The black wire needs to be connected to the body of the output jack, one of the two black wires, I would guess wire number 4 but again check with a multi meter.

Are you are going to go passive without any controls?
First remove/un solder the pickup wires from the Vol control. Un solder the wires from the jack, (i'd make a not of where all the removed wires go in case you want to revert back to active. Then do as verb suggested.
It looks like your pickup wire is shielded so the center/hot wire to the tip of the jack and shield to the body. As verb pointed out, a multi meter is your friend to establish which contact is the shield and which is the "ring" or switch contact to turn the pre-amp on.
If you want a passive Vol/Tone control then after all the un soldering, remove the pre-amp and controls and Google the diagram for a Fender P Bass and use that.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1480325229' post='3183289']
Are you are going to go passive without any controls?
First remove/un solder the pickup wires from the Vol control. Un solder the wires from the jack, (i'd make a not of where all the removed wires go in case you want to revert back to active. Then do as verb suggested.
It looks like your pickup wire is shielded so the center/hot wire to the tip of the jack and shield to the body. As verb pointed out, a multi meter is your friend to establish which contact is the shield and which is the "ring" or switch contact to turn the pre-amp on.
If you want a passive Vol/Tone control then after all the un soldering, remove the pre-amp and controls and Google the diagram for a Fender P Bass and use that.
[/quote]

Personally I'd replace the jack socket as well since you no longer need a switching jack if you are going passive.

Unsolder the pickup from the volume control and then remove the whole pre-amp assembly as a single piece. That way you'll have less to do if you ever want to put it back in. Then look for a standard P-bass wiring diagram and follow that with new pots for volume and tone, plus a tone capacitor and standard mono jack socket.

Edited by BigRedX