Why become a member? ×

Warranty or not

Nicko

My recently purchased Squier 70s CV PB appears to have an issue with the socket. When plugged in, if the lead is moved slightly I get a pop or squeal, suggesting either a short or a dry connection. Should I just return it to the shop for investigation rather than attemptng to locate the fault and fiix it myself. I'm worried that if I attempt a repair I will invalidate the warranty - I haven't touched a soldering iron in probably 30 years. On the flip side I dont want to trudge all the way there for something that I could sort out myself. The shop is central London so the best option is a near hour round trip.

Assuming everything else about the bass is ideal for you, I'm with Bert. If you takeover back, the retailer won't have an identical bass to give you, so you'll have to wait for it to go back and be assessed and all that...
Lift the lid and check it out.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1480419716' post='3184182']
Sorted, although probably only a temporary fix, the jack socket appears to be made of something with the strength of (used) chewing gum
[/quote]
Correct.
I guess this is the issue, you take it back and the jack socket gets changed for the same part already in.
As a Squire VM owner I can confirm the jack's are absolute pants. first job I did was change it for a Switchcraft one. Swiftly followed by changing the pots to CTS ones.