Why become a member? ×

Slap

Nicko

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1480351691' post='3183612']

I had to turn down a suggestion of Can't Stop which got me thinking. I think the reason I haven't perservered is because it does't bother me that much, but its a bitch having to say "sorry I cant play it"!
[/quote]

Just had a look at it, it might not be a bad place to start learning, no real acrobatics or lightning fast machine gun slaps or hammer on/pull offs.
http://youtu.be/HQxMt2FUAN4

Start as slow as you need, speed will come.

Edited by Cato

When I first started looking for Slap lessons on YT I found that the most comprehensive and easy to follow where those by our own Scott Whitley. The first series of 6 take you from elementary (know nothing) to fairly proficient (technique wise). Great start and easy to build on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GObmwIYwnMQ

I found those Scott Whitley tutorials very useful too, although 'bassics' is pushing it for some of the later lessons. That run he does at the end of the theme tune took me somewhere between 10 and 15 hours to get down properly, all to play what is a 2 second section of music.

This series is where I started.

http://youtu.be/tGilCW0_Jf0

Edited by Cato

Book-wise I'd recommend 'Ultimate Slap Bass' by Stuart Clayton, and I believe the now very old 'Slap It' by Tony Oppenheimer is very good but I've never used it myself.

I think a book and a metronome is preferable to a video in acquiring the technique once you're past the basics.

Scott Whitley is immense! Shame on me for not including him in my list of channels to follow for slap. Great player and a damn fine instructor too.

As for to slap or not to slap? My position is this: Be as well-rounded as you possibly can. Learn all the techniques, then it's up to you when and whether to use them. I believe we should have as few limitations as possible. There are things which don't necessarily appeal to me, but I still plan on being able to do them just in case the need should ever arise. Be the most complete musician you can be.

I was massively into slapping in the 80's. I was a serious Mark King fan & had the Trace Elliot Stack & the Jaydee Supernatural bass to prove it. :)
I still really enjoy playing slap bass occasionally, but my technique isn't anywhere near what it was back then.

When I first tried learning to slap, after I'd been playing for a couple of years, I couldn't get anywhere. I gave up.

One day about three months later, I decided to try again and found that I could already do it! Since then, when learning all kinds of things, I've found that breaks for consolidation can be as important as the active part.

Slapping's not something I generally choose to do, and I curse the ear-splitting bang-clatter-bang of the people at bass guitar shows, but it's kind of fun, and it's a useful skill, especially when playing 80s musicals :happy: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgc_LRjlbTU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgc_LRjlbTU[/url]

I pretty much learned via time spent practising, occasionally watching Youtube videos of guys using techniques I didn't know and then trying to learn it myself.

I enjoyed learning it and still practice slap and funk techniques as it is always fun to learn different approaches to bass. Predominantly I play low tuned metal/doom or alternative rock in bands, so it isn't a technique that I really need to use much in a band context, though its nice to know I can use it if I need to.

I do find it annoying that every single bloody bass or amp demo online is dominated by slap bass playing. Maybe I want to to hear what it sounds like on fingerstyle, or played with a pick with a bit of overdrive?

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1480359316' post='3183703']

I do find it annoying that every single bloody bass or amp demo online is dominated by slap bass playing. Maybe I want to to hear what it sounds like on fingerstyle, or played with a pick with a bit of overdrive?
[/quote]

I don't find this at all, and I watch a lot of reviews. I find it maddening when a demo DOESN'T include a little bit of slap, actually, as I DO want to hear what the bass sounds like slapped. There are loads of videos out there which are all pick playing, and that bothers me just as much.

Ed Friedland knows what he's doing - always shows off pick, fingers and slap in a demo.

In my experience it's very much a 2 handed technique where the muting or complete deadening of notes is just as important as slapped or plucked note. It's more like drumming on the fretboard than anything else and requires a lot more subtlety than you'd think (especially after watching Louis Johnson!).

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1480360050' post='3183723']
In my experience it's very much a 2 handed technique where the muting or complete deadening of notes is just as important as slapped or plucked note.
[/quote]

Yeah, this is an important point. The host on Talking Bass said something about muting which was a bit of a gamechanger for me - think of the muted strings as your starting point, and open up to allow a note through, rather than the open strings as the starting point which you then choke off to mute.

This really helped me get my muting together and helped me kill a lot of that unwanted noise you get when slapping if your muting isn't up to scratch. He's the only person I have seen who spins it on its head that way, and I have to say, it helped me understand immensely. Wish I had thought of it that way sooner - I reckon I would be further ahead with my slap playing if I had.

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1480359551' post='3183713']
I would suggest starting with slower melodic groove based things like 'forget me nots' Patrice Rushen or something like this Azymuth
[which made me want to learn to slap ] tune before moving onto fast percussive patterns that can take a lot of learning.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Dx_Iq0c1A[/media]
[/quote]

I'd say that was only pull-offs...... for the most part.

Forget me Nots, whole different thing technically, IMO

Just sayin'

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1480360050' post='3183723']
In my experience it's very much a 2 handed technique where the muting or complete deadening of notes is just as important as slapped or plucked note. It's more like drumming on the fretboard than anything else and requires a lot more subtlety than you'd think (especially after watching Louis Johnson!).
[/quote]

This was definitely my epiphany.

The rhythms you create with the ghost notes and left hand slaps are the absolute key to a decent slap technique.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1480361640' post='3183740']

I'd say that was only pull-offs...... for the most part.

Forget me Nots, whole different thing technically, IMO

Just sayin'
[/quote]. Its a mixture of slap pops and fingerstyle ,and I guess it is technically easier than forget me nots but the feel is what it's about for me.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1480360025' post='3183721']
I don't find this at all, and I watch a lot of reviews. I find it maddening when a demo DOESN'T include a little bit of slap, actually, as I DO want to hear what the bass sounds like slapped. There are loads of videos out there which are all pick playing, and that bothers me just as much.

Ed Friedland knows what he's doing - always shows off pick, fingers and slap in a demo.
[/quote]

I really like Ed's demos. Dan/Dood's reviews are generally really good as well for showing a mix of different approaches.

To answer your question - yes you can learn it - I'm proof of it. For me it's taken a very long time to develop the technique (I first played it in the mid 70s - Rose Royce songs but have improved over the last few years) - I can now do it well enough to play entire songs, fills or small solos with it. I use it quite sparingly however (as did my 70s bass heroes most of the time).

My experience is that audiences like it (they also like Fretless). I saw Level 42 at Hammersmith Appollo a few weeks back and it was packed - Mark King's bass solo as an encore attracted a frenzied response from the audience.

In fact it seems the only people who really don't like it are some musicians and particularly some bass players - no doubt some music producers also. Each to their own I guess, but I suspect it challenges some people's perception of what a bass should do/be.

In moderation I think it's great (always has been). IMHO it can be quite an exciting element when used well and musically.

Edited by drTStingray

For my money the best example of how to slap with groove is Mister Magic by Troublefunk with Big Tony Fisher on bass. I don't know how to put up YT stuff in a post here. For the funkless, Troublefunk were the big band of Washington DC's 80s Go Go scene. Big Tony was /is a monster player and deserves more acclaim.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I must say I had a quick look at the LJ Yootoob lesson and it doesn't look like a starting point to me! The talking bass vids on there start really slowlywith very basic technique - I think I might start with them. Although the Scott Devine lessons look good he does seem to have a tendency to talk a lot and I get friustrated watching these vids.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1480376963' post='3183961']
Anyone got any tips as to the best eq settings? Also neck or bridge pickup or a combination? Whenever I try the technique it just sounds awful. Ta very muchly.
[/quote]

Best EQ outside of a band situation is the smileyface EQ. Bit of a bass boost and bit of a treble boost. Boost each/either to preference.
Doesn't always work in a band context though as you can get lost in the mix.
As for pickups, i'm guessing your using a jazz, i don't use one, but i know a lot of people like the "both on full" approach.

I don't mind it, but I can't be bothered to get really good at it, because I've never used it in a band....ever...just for my own personal practice.

A Stingray sounds phenomenal when slapped, but I barely do it.

I think what winds people up is that people assume 'hey, I'm demoing a bass on youtube, watch how many notes I can play!' a bit like guitarists who have no 'feel' yet can shred like it's a mathematics test. Art vs technique.

Marcus Miller and Melvin Davis along with Will Lee for top, top in your face, on it, in the pocket groove playing - It don't get any better.
Clean sounds that are well articulated, lots of 'ghost' notes and mostly very melodic.
Yep, I like my slap from the best... :D

Edited by lowdown