Why become a member? ×

Slap

Nicko

[quote name='AdamWoodBass' timestamp='1480496119' post='3184768']

I think it was me and was probably a bit harsh so I hold my hands up to that. Don't get me wrong I love slap and I love getting the opportunity to do it, I just get a bit bored of it.
[/quote]

To be fair, it tends to be the thing people pull out of the hat to impress people in a solo environment, which I guess is pretty much the dictionary definition of 'party piece'.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1480496291' post='3184769']

To be fair, it tends to be the thing people pull out of the hat to impress people in a solo environment, which I guess is pretty much the dictionary definition of 'party piece'.
[/quote]

I would split hairs with you and say that you make a fair point, but I would contend that your definition is a bit harsh - context is a big deal.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1480514492' post='3185008']
I would split hairs with you and say that you make a fair point, but I would contend that your definition is a bit harsh - context is a big deal.
[/quote]

Hmm. I've heard more slapping on YouTube demos, and at bass bashes and music shops than I have at gigs. I can only speak as I find. :-)

Depends which gig(s) and artists one goes to watch.
I have been to Ronnie Scott's several times this year, along with the Jazz Cafe etc.
Granted, all major name players, but plenty of superb slap chops on display with immense groove.
YouTube and Trade Shows/Music shows do tend to bring out the wannabe basket cases.
If that is the only context a person sees and hears the technique, sure, some pretty horrible nonsense on show.

I'll learn slap when I can remember all of the scales and modes.... that'll be never then. I can't even play with a pick. All this technique stuff is a matter of priorities unless you really do have 12 hours a day to work on your bass playing.

It always looks like a great deal of pain and effort just to look like a smart-ass 14 year old. :rolleyes:

Edited by thepurpleblob

Based on the replies here it seems there's not a lot of love for funk, 'cos if you love funk it's inevitable you're a big fan of slap bass. Slap is what largely brought the bass from out of the shadows and helped dispel the widely held belief it's the easiest instrument in a band. Sure musicians recognise the skills of fingerstylists like Ox and Jack Bruce but it was noted thumpers like Mark King that brought it to the masses.

Edited by Barking Spiders

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1480589612' post='3185627']
I'll learn slap when I can remember all of the scales and modes.... that'll be never then. I can't even play with a pick. All this technique stuff is a matter of priorities unless you really do have 12 hours a day to work on your bass playing.

It always looks like a great deal of pain and effort just to look like a smart-ass 14 year old. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

will you wait to try 5 strings until you get all that mentioned in a 4 string first?

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1480602018' post='3185762']
Based on the replies here it seems there's not a lot of love for funk, 'cos if you love funk it's inevitable you're big fan of slap bass. Slap is what largely brought the bass from out of the shadows and helped dispel the widely held belief it's the easiest instrument in a band. Sure musicians recognise the skills fingerstylists like Ox and Jack Bruce but it was noted thumpers like Mark King that brought it to the masses.
[/quote]

Well said. Being the glue that holds the rhythm and melody together, I can't quite understand the vitriol towards bassists who explore the rhythmic side of the job. It can - correctly - be argued that "that's the drummer's job" but the two can exist in harmo......er....unison....both tastefully and musically.

I don't think the word 'slap' does it any favours either. Personally, it's the first word out of the box when it comes to describing it, maybe a UK thing, but 'thumping and plucking' doesn't roll off the tongue as well. You get the feeling from the name that it's based on imprecision, just bashing the strings... and that, as we know, is far from the case. In a similar vein to being on the other side of the fence, I don't hate it but I'm no fan of tapping, but the skill involved gets my respect.

@Funky Dunky & Barking Spiders - well said, you've either got the funk or you haven't.