Why become a member? ×

Slap

Nicko

You can get started via Youtube.

I don't slap very well and I've never been in a band that wanted me to. Most slap players seem to be wedded to the "[i]a lot isn't enough[/i]" concept of bass playing. The more notes they can fit in the better it seems to make them feel. I've yet to find a band that thinks the same way.

I was once actually thanked by a band for [i]not[/i] slapping.

Edited by chris_b

There's some stuff on YouTube by Scott Devine that looks pretty good, you could sign up to his lessons too, costs a bit but seems to be rated by people on here.

Also I used this back in the video days, don't know if it's available on DVD but it helped me a lot,

http://youtu.be/BMTgvcX6bts

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1480332384' post='3183362']
I have tried and failed. Admittedly I give it a go and it sounds pants, so I stop trying. Is this a technique anyone can aquire as long as I put in the hours? If yes, where should I start.
[/quote]

You can learn most things if you put in the hours. ;)

Although this clip is probably from the 80's, IMO it is one of the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aK-QFwaRZc

I love funk and I love slap but there are those slappers who have groove and those that don't. The faster you try to play and the groove is lost. Personally I don't care for Flea, though I may be a bit prejudiced as I loathe the RHCP. Vic Wootten's slap impresses but it doesn't move me. Now Larry Graham and Louis Johnson have/had groove by the bucketload. My 'bible' of slap was LJ's vid for 'Star Licks'. You can see it on You Tube and I wholeheartedly suggest you check it out.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I love slap. Not great at it, working on it, getting there.

A surprisingly high amount of bassists are offended by this technique, and I think in bass circles it's the equivalent of shred guitar in that it's often done with neither taste nor restraint.

I read a quote by Doug Wimbish the other day, something along the lines of "Learn how to slap properly, then use it tastefully - OR NOT AT ALL."

I wholeheartedly agree. I love to go for it at home, but in a band situation it's best to use it pretty sparingly.

There are some great starting points on YouTube, the Sklarevski programme is good as it preaches patience and developing accuracy - sloppy slappy is horrific. My tips would be:

1) Accuracy is really really important, along with consistency of attack

2) You don't need to whack the strings as hard as some may think - let your amp do the hard part. Look at players like Marcus Miller, who slap with incredible efficiency and control.

3) Practice simple stuff like octaves and hammer-ons to begin with

4) Make sure your bass and amp are set up in a manner conducive to slap bass.

5) Lighter strings are worth considering. They certainly gave me an advantage when learning. I play standard .45-.105 now and they don't slap anywhere near as easily or as nicely as lighter, lower tension strings do (imo)

6) Check out Scott's Bass Lessons, MarloweDK, Cambridge Bass Lessons and Talking Bass on YouTube. They've been invaluable to me in learning slap bass.

Good luck, have fun, and don't let anyone or anything put you off :)

Edited by Funky Dunky

Depends how far you have got with it.

No one likes slap riffs anymore so less is more and you'll find it far more effective in the track, IMO, if you limit the slap to fills.

For me, Flea is the worse reference because it just isn't funky. Now, Larry Graham just is, and also he has a timeless take on it. He doesn't get complicated or go mad, he just has his sound and feel right down, and you don't need to have super chops for that.

All you need to be able to do..IMO.. is slot between a fingerstyle groove and slap fill ... no one wants a slap bass solo in their song, unless you REALLY want a slap bass solo.

Depends who you gravitate to but pick a good reference from a groove guy. For me, if you want a popular name for that type of player, start with Ready Freddie Washington.
Anything with Bobby V is funky too but it doesn't matter what plucking style he starts with, he just has it. :lol:

So, now, time alone wont do it... all that does is get the speed going-which you may need-, but you can't buy taste or groove

As Freekbass said at the LBGS - you don't have to be fast to be funky.

Seems to be quite a few techniques out there, I for one can't get along with the 'straight thumb' technique as I find it easier to mute when I bend my thumb back and strike with my wrist a touch higher (almost Flea-style but not quite). So that's not me saying my technique is better, it's just that a lot of the videos you find try to get you into a certain thumb position that you might not naturally be comfortable with.

Edited by MisterT

Guest bassman7755

I have tried and failed. Admittedly I give it a go and it sounds pants, so I stop trying. Is this a technique anyone can aquire as long as I put in the hours? If yes, where should I start.
[/quote]

This is pretty much the gold standard for slap basics

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMTgvcX6bts"]https://www.youtube....h?v=BMTgvcX6bts[/url]

Try to work through the whole thing, don't skip any exercises that seem too easy or basic. Slap is very much a walk-before-you-run proposition so I recommend working through a structured tutorial like this one rather than trying to cop licks from various random youtube vids. The other thing about this course is it sticks to musically useful stuff as opposed to "music shop" flashy tricks.

Mullet optional.

Edited by bassman7755

[/quote]

I only started a couple of years ago after playing for 25 years.

YouTube got me started and after many hours of practice I suddenly got that riding a bike 'I'm doing it' moment.

One of the secrets to slap is that it's not half as difficult as it looks. Getting your left hand muting technique down is half the battle.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1480342380' post='3183514']
OP: do you need to learn slap, or is it something you feel you have to do 'cos it's what people on YouTube do?
[/quote]

I decided to learn after nearly 25 years of bass playing because I'd reached a bit of a plateau and wanted to find a new direction and besides I already owned all the necessary equipment.

I also discovered that there is something immensely satisfying about being your own drum machine.

Never wanted, nor tried to learn slap, never found it of any use or interest myself.
I believe if you really want something you can learn it, but like all things music it's never easy and if you are not fully sold on the idea maybe the reason you find it hard to progress.
Hard work and practice, should be the musicians motto.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1480335966' post='3183406']
Ha ha. I have that Slap Bass Program on VHS!
[/quote]
That's so last Millenia - I have the totally up to date DVD

I think in very small doses it's ok but I'm not rushing to learn it

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1480346642' post='3183558']
I also discovered that there is something immensely satisfying about being your own drum machine.
[/quote]

Glad to hear you're making this a priority. So many solo slap clips I see on FB and elsewhere is all over the shop when it comes to timing.

Yes . If you really want to do it you can learn it. You practice it because you want to be able to do it because it pleases you. You are inspired by someone else doing it so you would like to do it = can do.

. Set your bass up correctly.

If you can, get the action nice and low as its by far easier to slap. You can decide later down the line what you do and don't like about action.

You might find there are things that you can do really well and these are things you make up rather than lines that you try and copy. Id concentrate on that first till it starts to become second nature. After a while it drops into place.

Reasons for and against are another topic.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1480348218' post='3183571']
It can sound great in the right context.
Just don't try to crowbar it in everywhere :D
When learning, start slow. Accuracy is what will make a slap line sound good
[/quote]

Spot on - It can sound great, in the right song, in the right band.
When watching / listening to a really good slap player, I'm usually impressed if they are very quick
but if they play every song that way, I usually end up getting bored of their playing

The "groove" of a song isn't necessarily the fastest bass playing or the one containing most notes - so often, it's about muted notes, and/or the notes that are "left out" of a bassline that give it feeling, mood & groove

I'm not the best at slapping either, I try sometimes, if the song requires it.
yes, you can learn but it can take a lot of practice. Youtube can be your friend
But most of all - persist with it, don't beat yourself up if you find it difficult.... and good luck :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1480342380' post='3183514']
OP: do you need to learn slap, or is it something you feel you have to do 'cos it's what people on YouTube do?
[/quote]

I had to turn down a suggestion of Can't Stop which got me thinking. I think the reason I haven't perservered is because it does't bother me that much, but its a bitch having to say "sorry I cant play it"!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1480336206' post='3183409']

No one likes slap riffs anymore
[/quote]

Overhere, no here, yes me, at the back... i do.... sorry :blush:

Yea i like slap, not very good at it, but enough to get by,
have a few songs in my band thats just slap, nothing hard but just grooves.
i like both kinds, out and out in ya face mark king
and when used now and again in parts if there seems to be a place for it then why not
its just another form of expression,
was watching brian culbertsons vids on you tube he has some great players that are tastfull with it.

Is this a technique anyone can aquire as long as I put in the hours? If yes, where should I start.
[/quote]

Yep its an hours input thang, stay with it, some great youtube suggestions already posted here,
find another bass player in your area you can learn from, that will bring you on,
i got this for one of the guys i was teaching, he thought it was very helpfull as i could go through it with him.
he got really good at it.
Again hours input ;)
[b] LICK LIBRARY Bass Legends MARK KING[/b]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LICK-LIBRARY-Bass-Legends-MARK-KING-Level-42-FUNK-SLAP-LESSON-TUTOR-Guitar-DVD-/180281047901?hash=item29f9967b5d:g:q48AAOSwPhdVBdmQ#ht_1706wt_738