Why become a member? ×

Ampeg B15N - just the cab!

EliasMooseblaster

I know the Flip Top is a "classic" amp, and many notable artists have achieved great results. Indeed, it is one that I'll have the option to record through this weekend.

Trouble is, when I've had the chance to use it myself, I've never been enamoured with the tone. I assume it's the baked in scoop in the preamp, but I thought I'd seek some more knowledgeable opinion before I waste too many hours twiddling knobs on expensive studio time.

My question is: how much is the tone coloured by the cab? If I were to plug in my Ashdown Little Bastard, in place of the Ampeg head, am I likely to hear a marked difference*?

*And, ideally, not blow the speaker...

The B15n preamp doesn't really have a baked-in scoop unless you crank the bass and treble controls or use the Ultra-Lo switch. It should be somewhat flat with the EQ knobs centred. But if the Ashdown is your usual preferred sound, why not use that? Not all B15 models use standard jacks for the speaker connection - that would be something to check first.