Why become a member? ×

Ashdown... What are you doing?!

Bigwan

They're an odd crowd and no mistake. They can produce the best equipment imaginable, IMO (CTM, ABM, sig series pedals for example), but there seems to be a total lack of a common sense filter... which means they also come out with, at best some mad design decisions (Dr. Green pedals), and at worst some total dross, as their website will attest (Meters Cubed bluetooth speakers, B-Social).

If you don't have a competitive advantage, don't compete!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1480444061' post='3184489']
Hey! I'm new to this thread, but I'm wondering if any of you guys can help me.

I'm trying to get a tone that sounds like a frog on a pogo stick. Any ideas where to start?
[/quote]

I've got a frog and a pogo stick that you can hire, but you'll have to train the frog yourself.

Bit harsh...I presume this is the pedal the artist was asking for, and is happy to put his name on and promote. Reminds me of an old Russian EH Bass Balls pedal I had, but never found a use for.

I'm pleased to see them experimenting with new designs and ideas - I'd happily use a B Social if I could afford it, but I've got a few old amps around the place. If I lived in a small flat, or moved around the country more frequently it could be a great way of integrating hi-fi, media and music work. Yes, some products are going to be hit or miss but it keeps things moving along nicely.

The move into consumer audio under the Meters name should be interesting. Its a huge and competitive area..with plenty of profits if you get it right (particularly the marketing!).

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1480445232' post='3184501']
Why is the shaft on the middle pot so much taller than the other two? I realise this is probably a pre-production model, but you'd think that if they were going to film it from that angle they'd take the extra five minutes to sort that out.
[/quote]

I assume it's a pull/push pot to engage some extra function

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1480684397' post='3186390']
Bit harsh...
[/quote]

That WAS sugar coated... If you don't have a competitive advantage, don't compete. Ashdown have no name in consumer electronics whatsoever. None. No name in consumer electronics is only any use if you're offering something entirely new that people will want, or you're selling something cheaper than anyone else. Another nameless bluetooth speaker set is a failure waiting to happen for them.

B-social - OK idea but HOW MUCH?!!!

I thought it sounded like a Bassballs too... which isn't good...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1480719019' post='3186779']
According to bc police, '***' may cause offence so my post got deleted.

So I'll repost.

Bloomin' heck, that sounds bloomin rubbish.
[/quote]

No need to get snarky - I'm not the BC Police but the owner of BC and your post was just...

I've got a lot of time for Ashdown, and I would definitely say their recent mini Class D amps are a good step for them.

But, it seems they don't have much of a set product line. Things keep changing VERY quickly. The amount of R&D that went into the B Social....I mean...????!??!? How many bassists do you know who own one?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1480933840' post='3188082']
The amount of R&D that went into the B Social....I mean...????!??!? How many bassists do you know who own one?
[/quote]

I've played through one. It's pretty decent. Just not £600 decent. But I don't know anyone who has bought one, no

Edit: Bax Shop have knocked £200 off the B Social Price.....

Edited by Muppet