Why become a member? ×

Midland Bass Bash 4 13/05/2017

Si600

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1489540627' post='3257832']
Just caught up with this thread - I'm beginning to feel very under geared! If I go for 'full deployment' then I can bring my main bass, an Ibenez GSR200,
[/quote]

I have a GSR200 (the passive one) that I picked up for £60 secondhand. It plays so well that I often take it on gigs instead of taking my BTB1605. It's light, balances beautifully and has a lovely neck. Personally, I think it would be a good idea to have a few more 'budget' basses (Squiers, Yamaha BB's, Ibanez GSR's) at these gatherings for people in the market for an affordable bass to try. There's usually plenty of 'exotica'. Would be nice to see some basses from the other end of the scale.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1489604833' post='3258351']
It does seem like there will be an awful lot of kit there if everyone brings what they have mentioned. I won't be bringing anything except hopefully be thinline Telecaster guitar I've been building as I know it's of particular interest to some of the other builders that are attending. I live in the village though and can quickly pop home to fetch anything else that people may want to try.

I'll also try to sort a suitable raffle prize and maybe a cake too
[/quote]

I'm looking forward to seeing your Telecaster, even though it has too many, thin strings...!!

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1489870015' post='3260497']
Personally, I think it would be a good idea to have a few more 'budget' basses (Squiers, Yamaha BB's, Ibanez GSR's) at these gatherings for people in the market for an affordable bass to try. There's usually plenty of 'exotica'. Would be nice to see some basses from the other end of the scale.
[/quote]

I brought my Squier last time iirc. I can bring it again if you want. You're welcome to try it out through the house rig. It's my main gigging bass.

I'm adding this to my calendar - will let you guys know in April if I can make it. Saturdays are usually no issue. Have a bigger car now so can fit [b]more gear[/b] into it :) I'll be travelling up from deepest Cambridge(shire) if anyone needs a lift. New handbuilt bass will hopefully be ready in time!

Ta,
Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi .. I'm going to come along to this. Never been to one before, sounds fun. Space in the car from Derby if anyone needs a lift ... space for some basses too if I leave by double bass at home.

I can bring any or all of:

A Wal fretless, a (slightly odd) Warwick Dolph, a double bass, a TINY PJB amp (flightcase) and a LARGE Trace Elliot combo (if anyone wants to buy it!)

CU there

[quote name='NickA' timestamp='1493324793' post='3287560']
Hi .. I'm going to come along to this. Never been to one before, sounds fun. Space in the car from Derby if anyone needs a lift ... space for some basses too if I leave by double bass at home.

I can bring any or all of:

A Wal fretless, a (slightly odd) Warwick Dolph, a double bass, a TINY PJB amp (flightcase) and a LARGE Trace Elliot combo (if anyone wants to buy it!)

CU there
[/quote]
Derby must be a hot bed of TE kit, I have just bought a very combo and cab from a guy in Derby. I grew up in Spondon but don't remember much TE kit in the music shops in Derby, remember a nice Roland amp I couldn't afford though.

Edited by T-Bay

It was indeed a Trace hotbed "back in the day". I played briefly in an electro-folk band that looked like we had Trace sponsorship .. the stage glowed green with it all!

The shop at the top of the Osmaston Road that now is Rattle and Drum, was previously Play It Again Sam and before that was .... erm I forget.... used to be stosh with Trace Gear. At one time it was a fantastic 2nd hand gear exchange too. I bought my trace combo (new), my Wal and a Yamaha BB2000 from there over the years. Now it only really stocks new mainstream brands (Fender, Ashdown etc). Hey ho.

[quote name='j1mu5' timestamp='1493445123' post='3288316']
Hi, I've only been playing a couple of months but will be heading down work permitting.
[/quote]

Hope you can make it. You a sure to meet people who will interest and inspire you. I went to my first Bash (the South East one) when I had only been playing about 6 months. I was somewhat terrified, but found it a very useful experience.

I've been playing 6 years now. Can't believe it's been that long! Basschat has been an amazingly useful resource in that time.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1493503654' post='3288870']
Hope you can make it. You a sure to meet people who will interest and inspire you. I went to my first Bash (the South East one) when I had only been playing about 6 months. I was somewhat terrified, but found it a very useful experience.

I've been playing 6 years now. Can't believe it's been that long! Basschat has been an amazingly useful resource in that time.
[/quote]

I'm really hoping it will be a useful experience and have to agree it really is a terrifying prospect at the moment but will be good to meet new people.

[quote name='j1mu5' timestamp='1493634231' post='3289522']
I'm really hoping it will be a useful experience and have to agree it really is a terrifying prospect at the moment but will be good to meet new people.
[/quote]

There's no need to be terrified! We're an easy-going friendly bunch, and basically people chat about gear over tea and cakes, try out each other's basses/amps/effects etc, natter about bass, have a raffle and more tea and cakes, and more nattering about bass.

It's great - good to meet other players at various stages of their bass-playing life; some play at home, some are out gigging regularly, and some in between.

It's just a friendly get together really. I can't make it this year, but been the last two years and had a great time, even making a few new friends along the way.

[quote name='j1mu5' timestamp='1493634231' post='3289522']
[/quote]

I went to my first Bash last October with similar feelings. More so perhaps because it was a double bass bash and I don't play upright. I was curious and it was a great opportunity to meet some of the characters on here.

I think you'll get something out of it, if only cake...

See you there.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1493825247' post='3291023']
Sadly I am out :-( Dad's taxi services taking priority on a Brownie day out. Will make the next one with any luck.
[/quote]

Make their day out a trip to the Bass Bash. Like take your daughters to work day only you're taking everyone else's too... Can't hurt to get them interested in the low frequencies early on now can it?

Unless there's a stripper no-one's mentioned booking...?

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1493818434' post='3290912']
There's no need to be terrified! We're an easy-going friendly bunch, and basically people chat about gear over tea and cakes, try out each other's basses/amps/effects etc, natter about bass, have a raffle and more tea and cakes, and more nattering about bass.
[/quote]

That's good to know that :D I won't be bringing any gear with me but will be nice to see other people's bass although I don't think my credit card would agree.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1493824518' post='3291010']
I think you'll get something out of it, if only cake...

See you there.
[/quote]

Cake is always good, I'm looking forward to it now, should be there for about 1ish with a bit of luck.