Why become a member? ×

Guitarists Eh?

Phil Starr

Fantastic playing if that is your thing, although a little dated.
I may be wrong but, isn't Moonlight Sonata about the night, quite time of the day, a time to relax. This version seems a little heavy for my idea of a "Sonata" but that is just me. :rolleyes:

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1480934123' post='3188089']
Fantastic playing if that is your thing, although a little dated.
I may be wrong but, isn't Moonlight Sonata about the night, quite time of the day, a time to relax. This version seems a little heavy for my idea of a "Sonata" but that is just me. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
The title Moonlight Sonata wasn't Beethoven's. I once read that is was written because he had an unrequited crush on one of his pupils, to whom it is dedicated. He wasn't commissioned to write it either which is interesting. It has a terrible beauty to me moving on to a rather disturbed and agitated passion, terribly sad and shading into madness. He broke the rules of the classical sonata in writing it that way with the build up towards the end.

I'm not sure I'd ever listen to the guitarist playing it again, just pointing out the virtuosity in one of her party pieces.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1480935307' post='3188105']
The title Moonlight Sonata wasn't Beethoven's. I once read that is was written because he had an unrequited crush on one of his pupils, to whom it is dedicated. He wasn't commissioned to write it either which is interesting. It has a terrible beauty to me moving on to a rather disturbed and agitated passion, terribly sad and shading into madness. He broke the rules of the classical sonata in writing it that way with the build up towards the end.

I'm not sure I'd ever listen to the guitarist playing it again, just pointing out the virtuosity in one of her party pieces.
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on that man, well said. :D

Edited by bigd1