Why become a member? ×

Just bought a Darkglass Vintage Ultra and I'm disappointed.

nash

While I'm in no way a fan of the Darkglass sound, I think your thread title is a little unfair on Darkglass as it suggests you're disappointed with the product because it does what it was designed to do, rather than what you wanted it to do. Entirely your own fault on this one I'm afraid. Even a cursory glance at the controls would have told you how it worked. You're a generation ahead of what you're looking for I think - Doug has been hinting digital control and analogue signal paths on his social media accounts so an ultra with presets could be a real thing in the future... although I shudder to think how much that would cost...

On the bright side they sell like hotcakes second hand and you won't be left stuck with it!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1480675538' post='3186259']
Was confused by the VD (I've seen it mostly referred to as VMTD), but get you now. Only disadvantage I can see to that is you can't use the VMTD as a clean preamp in this case like you could with the Ultra.
[/quote]

I don't need a pristine clean TBH.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1480675947' post='3186264']
I'd be the same. My Blueberry clone is on all the time for a bit of light breakup that I stack my other pedals on top of.
[/quote]

Yeah that's it. Spot on. I'm trying to make my board be what FOH gets so it doesn't matter what amp I use.

That`s exactly what I do - saves all the headache of trying to get your sound from a variety of different amps. Luckily for me a Sansamp BDDI does what I need, and I`m not that fussed about the on-stage sound as long as I can hear it, FOH is where it`s at.

Suppose it comes down to whether your "clean" tone needs EQ, or your dirty tone does. If you need the DI from the VMTD you're stuck with the EQ on your dirty tone unless you have another DI somewhere in the chain.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1480677019' post='3186279']
That`s exactly what I do - saves all the headache of trying to get your sound from a variety of different amps. Luckily for me a Sansamp BDDI does what I need, and I`m not that fussed about the on-stage sound as long as I can hear it, FOH is where it`s at.
[/quote]

I'm starting to think about the Tech 21 VT Deluxe

I use a Darkglass vintage ultra - still learning it really - I have the clean channel for just that - set the distortion channel for 'hint of grit' and toss this signal into a B3K if I want more. The whole lot goes into a EBS microbass II - the DI from this then goes FOH, the output goes to a powered cab - its not 'elegant' but I like it.

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1480679584' post='3186322']
I use a Darkglass vintage ultra - still learning it really - I have the clean channel for just that - set the distortion channel for 'hint of grit' and toss this signal into a B3K if I want more. The whole lot goes into a EBS microbass II - the DI from this then goes FOH, the output goes to a powered cab - its not 'elegant' but I like it.
[/quote]

If it works for you then it works.

I'm now toying with the idea of a Source Audio Aftershock to go with the Ultra

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1480682283' post='3186351']
If it works for you then it works.

I'm now toying with the idea of a Source Audio Aftershock to go with the Ultra
[/quote]

Quite.

My advice is this - I haven't owned a pedal that didn't benefit from some period of leaning to get the 'best for you' out of it - could be you don't and will never get on with it - which is fine too

[quote name='No lust in Jazz' timestamp='1480684993' post='3186398']

Quite.

My advice is this - I haven't owned a pedal that didn't benefit from some period of leaning to get the 'best for you' out of it - could be you don't and will never get on with it - which is fine too
[/quote]

Just bought a Pike Vulcan to gain stack.

My issue is that there isn't any "vintage" tone on the clean part of the Ultra. Just a neutral eq.

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1480698609' post='3186581']

My issue is that there isn't any "vintage" tone on the clean part of the Ultra. Just a neutral eq.
[/quote]

Let us know how you get on!

Have you looked at the Two Notes Le Bass? You can get clean as well as nasty channels in one pedal. The clean A channel on its own can be broken up to be a little gritty if you have the right bass for it. With the super hot G&L L1500 bass i can do this. I have this as well as DG B7k and VMT and can vouch for them all for different reasons

[quote name='nash' timestamp='1480698609' post='3186581']

[/quote]

The "vintage" aspect is referring to the voicing on the dirt side, a name Doug now regrets using as it is only vintage sounding compared to the B3K, it gets very gnarly and modern on its own if set properly. The EQ is a very flexible clean pre. It does sound like you are after a 2 dirt channel DG pedal, which doesn't exist I'm afraid! You could buy a Vintage pedal and put it before the Vintage Ultra and that would give you 1 clean and two dirt channels, but thats getting expensive. The Pike may do the job, very similar pedals of course!

Edited by Kev