Why become a member? ×

UK towns (not cities) with a lively gig culture / lots of bands?

kiat

Hi,

Thinking of relocating in the future to a town where there's a lot of live music, musicians and bands. I realise it's all relative and I'm not looking for proof/data etc, just what people feel are towns with a lot of music. The North West music scene looks really lively (I landed on nwb.co by chance today) and it got me thinking - where are there loads of musicians and people who love going to gigs? The more places the better! :-)

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1480626673' post='3186014']
Why not cities? Some are smaller than towns. Gloucester is a city and quite small. The music scene is pretty dire mind
[/quote]
You're right, Brighton is also city but in my mind is a big town, which is perfectly fine too. I'm trying to avoid obvious big cities like London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool etc....which have music scenes. More to find out surprisingly intense, vibrant or large scenes compared to the size of the town/city/area.
Thanks for the ideas so far!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1480633810' post='3186075']
Swindon has a fairly busy live music scene, especially for a town that some would consider a cultural wasteland.
[/quote]

True, I play with three Swindon bands and there are plenty of places to gig in and around the town.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1480666221' post='3186171']
Nashville.
[/quote]
That made me guffaw!

Kiat - It's probably not on your list but I would definitely not look at Weston-uper-mare or it's surroundings. I moved here just over a year ago and there's practically nothing going on at all.

You could try around Reading/Maidenhead/Windsor as there's quite a lot of live stuff going om (certainly compared to here).

Depends upon what you mean by music scene, are you talking as a performer, as audience or just where there are plenty of people up for a jam. Are you talking covers or live original music? I'd say lot's of original live music might be tricky outside of the big cities as that's where the younger populations tend to be. You didn't mention Bristol which is pretty good for it's music scene but is a city of course.

Exeter and Torbay has a fairly lively scene of covers bands and there's a fair community of musicians to tap into, there's also a lot of open mic stuff going on and an opening for the solo performer and duo's in some of the country pubs and smaller coastal venues. It's not so easy for originals bands or young musicians though.

It's all relative though, Bridport has a good artistic community all round for its size for example, but it is a small place and you''ll soon have located every musician in town.

[quote name='DrBike' timestamp='1480667862' post='3186182']
That made me guffaw!

Kiat - It's probably not on your list but I would definitely not look at Weston-uper-mare or it's surroundings. I moved here just over a year ago and there's practically nothing going on at all.

You could try around Reading/Maidenhead/Windsor as there's quite a lot of live stuff going om (certainly compared to here).
[/quote]

Made me smile too.

How do you find stuff in and around Reading though? I moved down to the West Country from Reading 20 years ago. I go back fairly regularly to visit friends and usually look out for live music or open mics and can't find anything like as much as down here. Berks seems to be cursed with dozens of websites that aren't kept up to date. Down here a quick search on Lemonrock turns up dozens of gigs every week without fail.

Wrexham is actually really good and there are lots of people trying something different.

A really active and popular 'originals scene with interesting bands, plus a great blues thing going on.
There's also the Focus Wales' festival in Wrexham every April - check it out...........

There are also lots of pub covers bands and jam nights.

Additionally, there's Chester 20 mins away with some decent venues, plus Liverpool and Manchester are within an hour's commute.

If the quality of a live music scene is your main criterion or moving you'd best stay clear of Gloucester and Cheltenham. They were once quite good but so many venues have closed down that the gig scenes are pretty sh*te. Mind you there are some decent music festivals in the region. Other that it's a great part of the UK to live.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1480634807' post='3186086']
Banbury seems to have its fair share.
[/quote]

We do indeed, as does Leamington, just up the road. Loads of bands and venues to play, lots of festivals in the summer - not bad for a town of 45k!

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1480672810' post='3186232']

We do indeed, as does Leamington, just up the road. Loads of bands and venues to play, lots of festivals in the summer - not bad for a town of 45k!
[/quote]

Cropredy has a lot to answer for!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1480633810' post='3186075']
Swindon has a fairly busy live music scene, especially for a town that some would consider a cultural wasteland.
[/quote]
[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1480634794' post='3186084']
True, I play with three Swindon bands and there are plenty of places to gig in and around the town.
[/quote]
Agree with this, plenty to choose from.