Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB5 I v's TRB5 II

Guest MoJo

The difference I am aware of is the scale lenght. Series I has 34" scale lenght while series II is 35" scale. Other differences such as preamp and
design of the body is explained below by ikay. Another model is TRB P (not newer Ps with soapbars) which is more different from TRB I and II.

TRB P
Neckthru
34" scale
PJ pickups + piezo
Better quality wood with top woods on body and veneers on the neck
Better quality hardware especially the bridge

TRB II
Bolt-on
35"scale
Soapbars
Ash body with 3 piece maple neck (if I remember correctly)

I never had I or P series so I cannot compare them but had II series twice in the past. They are great for the money when you think about their prices in the second hand market. It was my first 5 stringer and that bass made it very easy to switch from 4 strings to 5 strings due to 18 or 19 mm string spacing. The only reason I don't have one now is that they are 35" scale.

You cannot go wrong with TRB II (especially for the price) if you are ok with 35" scale lenght. It is very versatile and well made bass which will be enough for almost every gig/concert. Cons that come to mind are:
- heavy
- hiss when you turn the treble up
- no active/passive

But as I stated you cannot go wrong with TRBII for the price. As for the TRB I or P other BCers may give you some ideas.

Cheers

Edited by GCYPbass

I think the series I TRB GCYPbass details above is a TRB 'P' (with piezo). The regular TRB I was 34" and had soapbars like the series II but had a shallow 'slap' contour on the body and a different preamp with a 3-position mid control (adjustable using internal presets) rather than a sweepable mid boost/cut. I've had my trusty series I TRB5 for 16 years now. Have had many other basses in between but keep coming back to it. Great basses.

Edited by ikay

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1480668551' post='3186187']
I think the series I TRB GCYPbass details above is a TRB 'P' (with piezo).
[/quote]

True. Completely forgot about the series I with soapbars. Edited ;)

Edited by GCYPbass

I have a series I TRB6 which was my first bass (got a great deal on it), it's a phenomenal instrument. The build quality is absolutely faultless, and the acoustic tone is fantastic. The preamp is a little bit hissy but is easily replaced. I was very comfortable with it when it was my only / primary bass, but having adjusted to other basses now I find it a little wide and heavy for me.