Why become a member? ×

Just bought 5 packs of 45-105 for £28 inc delivery

skidder652003

Ok so they're Harley Bentons from Thomman. Ive tried status flats, Hard Rockin' Steels from La Bella, Legacy (good value but now £10 a pack), Rotos and Elixrs. Im not expecting too much but for that price they can go on the home practice axe if they're shi*e. I'll let you know what I think when I try gigging 'em.

rounds, nicklewound, I used to use the Legacys (also nicklewound) and they were fine but they've gone up from £7 to £10 a set, so I thought Id give these a punt, got to be the cheapest sets on the Internet? Got a mate who uses the guitar sets (about £1.80 a set) and he says they're great, so even if they're a bit rubbish I can use them at home and get some Elixr Nano's for gigging (£40 a pop!) I think Bass strings are generally vastly over inflated price wise anyway

Since I've gone back to roundwounds I'm also interested in cheap strings that I can change often. The Billy Sheehan set I have on my bass are almost dead after 4 gigs.

I've looked at the Thomann ones and they look suspiciously like the Alice branded strings on Ebay that double as cheese wire

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1480677326' post='3186284']
Since I've gone back to roundwounds I'm also interested in cheap strings that I can change often. The Billy Sheehan set I have on my bass are almost dead after 4 gigs.

I've looked at the Thomann ones and they look suspiciously like the Alice branded strings on Ebay that double as cheese wire
[/quote]
I'll let you know how I get on with them.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1481892170' post='3195997']
I don't get this thing about cheap strings on a bass. It's like buying a sports car and then having the cheapest tyres available put on it. Why would you do it to a bass? I use DR strings but I pay £14 a set...
[/quote]

absolutely. and quality strings, like tyres, last longer so although the initial outlay is more, in the long run it's a better investment and not to mention they sound better(the strings that is, not the tyres!)

• 2 weeks later...

Some people like the initial zing you get from new strings that fades relatively quickly so change more often, hence the need for cheaper strings.

Although my strings are cheap they're not cheap if that makes sense? I've used D'addario strings for years and the EXLs are the smoothest, longest lasting roundwounds I've found and I've tried literally everything over the years.

Edited by Delberthot

• 4 weeks later...

i like them, we have them on the basses at the college i work for, we get them as we have 7 basses that the students use for band practices so don't need to be the best quality in the world, pretty zingy and stay that way for a surprising amount of time and nice tension, i bought some for my active bitsa PJ and i think they sound great on it!