Why become a member? ×

Neck Through or Bolt on, is there any practical difference?

Pinball

Hi, I used to think that neck-through was something to aspire too until I got a used Ibanez 3005 wich was a stunning bolt on model that changed my mind. I have since worked my way though many basses sice to get to my current favourites (Stingray's and G&L) and it I dawns on me that they are all blot on models.

I have had both types at the same time and couldn't hear any difference. I have noticed that the bolt-on's seem to generally lighter in weight but that is about it really.

Waddyathink?

A great sounding bolt-on bass is something to treasure, as is a great sounding through-neck bass. Fortunately, I have one of each.. :)

Are they different sounding?

Yes, I think so - the through-neck basses I've owned had a sound and feel that set them apart from bolt-ons I've owned, but it's more a case of being different rather than better.

Just my 2p worth..

From a sound point of view.....where I've been able to compare what is essentially the same bass in both neck types I can tell a difference. For example, I found the Warwick neck-thru Thumb Fretless to be softer (less attack) and have better sustain than the BO version. When it comes to basses that come in one type or the other though I don't think I could say the same. For example from a neck thru perspective my Rick 4003 is hardly the smoothest, most sustaining bass out there and neither is my Status Streamline. On this basis I'm inclined to believe that electronics and wood/graphite materials (in that order) make a bigger difference to the sound than whether it is NT or BO.

The thing that makes the difference for me, regardless of if it's a bolt on or a neck through (or a set neck), is how good the neck to body transition is.
I've played neck through basses with crap upper fret access & bolt ons with really good upper fret access.

I personally like the feel of a neck through for faffing about above the 12th fret. Wouldn't say it's a better sound. Seems a lot of £1000+ basses are bolt on necks, so it must have more merit than just a tip of the hat to 1950s production processes, or no less merit than neck thru

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1480684001' post='3186377']
Your a bit buggered if your neck develops a warp or any other problem on a neck through.
[/quote]
Yeah absolutely. The oldest basses I have are well played 1980 and 1989 neck through alembics and thankfully neither have any neck problems. They both have dual truss rods and are laminate construction. I have though seen on the alembic forum a bass that had the through neck replaced by Alembic. Costly no doubt but not the end of the world.

As for the sound I don't think it would make much difference to me if a bass was bolt on or neck through as long as i liked the sound and the neck/body area didn't compromise my playing of it.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1480696581' post='3186553']
I think I've read somewhere a bolt on has more natural compression ? More punch or something? Whatever it is ....there is more of it than a through neck and thats why players like me (bolt on neck ) prefer them. :)
[/quote]

I've always found that my Gibson/Epiphone basses ('bird & SG respectively) are much more articulate in the upper register* than bolt-ons. I originally thought that this might have something to do with the neck-through and set-neck constructions offering better sustain/coupling/something, but I have begun to wonder whether this has more to do with them simply having bigger, hotter pickups than my Precisions.

Still...if somebody would like to pop a Thunderbird pickup into a P-bass (the placements are as near-as-bugger-it), perhaps we could test this out!

[size=3]*Yes, I'm another dusty-end botherer; I'll take my place in the stocks next to UK_lefty![/size]

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

Guest bassman7755

A very un scientific survey but both the through neck basses I have, exhibit very pronounced dead spots i.e. one particular note with almost no sustain. my bolt-ons don't have this to the same degree although the only one I have with a complete absence of any "favouritism" on the neck is my status graphite.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1480677039' post='3186280']
Easier to change a bolt on ;)
[/quote]

I was waiting for that... how many of us have ever changed a neck on a bass?

And re. bassjim's comment, "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I think I've read somewhere a bolt on has more natural compression ? More punch or something? Whatever it is" [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Other way around: through-necks have more natural compression with a longer sustain from the fundamental. Bolt-ons have the brighter, punchier 'quick' response.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Both good... although I wouldn't avoid a through-neck just to avoid neck changes! Also, these days, the countersunk six-bolt+ neck joints of many (Goodfellow, Dingwall and Ritter) to name but three make for an equally stable joint.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Not sure about those 3-bolt neck joints from Fender and others [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And who said shimming in this day and age of super-flexible bridge and nut adjustment.[/font][/color]

BP's here, who play pizzicato and plectrum must notice some tonal difference between a Fender Bolt-On and a Set Neck. To me, a SN sucks up the plectrum attack, while BO's display a distinct "snap", especially when using a medium gauge plectrum towards the bridge. A BP who uses a plectrum would keep this in mind when acquiring an instrument. Of course, a tube amp set for low pass would provide all the warmth and pillowed attack required, but the BP would still have the option of trebling up to a snappier sound. A source of G.A.S... it never ends.

Edited by CrackerJackLee

It's true; my vst Ricky and my vst Jazz have very different 'snap' and 'punch'. I often wish that my vst double bass had a virtual bolt-on neck; I'm sure it would have made a world of difference. :| I'm not at all sure that any such difference can be heard in the audience, or by those listening to the records at home. Still, if it's important...

(Strange folk, bassists, or, at least, some of 'em... 9_9 )

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1480689782' post='3186453']
It'd be interesting to compare a neck through bass, with an instrument with exactly the same hardware, electronics, strings and wood etc, but with a bolt on neck.
[/quote]

My thru neck Aria SB700 always seemed to have a touch more punch and a much longer sustain than my chum's set neck SB600. Think they were identical other than thru vs glued. Of course a gazillion other factors may have caused this. But I just put it out there anyway.