Why become a member? ×

Chipped Fender Aerodyne

Chienmortbb

After 10 years with hardly any wear, I clipped my Aerodyne on a mic stand and a chunk of lacquer flew off, exposing bear wood.

The home is the size of a pea but I would like to seal it. I realise that I cannot get an invisible repair and am happy to make a feature out of it.

Has anyone any ideas?

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1480720988' post='3186795']
After 10 years with hardly any wear, I clipped my Aerodyne on a mic stand and a chunk of lacquer flew off, [b]exposing bear wood[/b].
[/quote]

some very surreal and inappropriate images came to mind...
I need my meds :lol:

What colour is the lacquer? I have a Japanese Thunderbird that had four nasty chips. I'd tried nail varnish on an earlier bass but ended up using superglue which is slightly harder. Both work well but you can build the super glue up more quickly. To match the colour I used spirit based felt tip pens blending the colours until it was matching in colour slightly darker than the surrounding lacquer.

Build the superglue up in layers until it is slightly higher than the surrounding lacquer. I masked off with sellotape so the extra was sellotape thickness. I then smoothed back the imperfections with a razor blade again using sellotape on the blade to avoid scratching the surrounding good finish, then used wet and dry glued to a flat piece of wood reducing the grade from 300 down to 2000 gradually before polishing with some pro car cutting compound a mate had handy. Slightly finer than T-cut. I cant see the joins though I didn't quite get a perfect colour match. Stewmac have a video on you tube showing how to do it.