Why become a member? ×

SHORT SCALE AND MEDIUM SCALE.

grandad

I began my bass playing with 34's, Precision, Jazz, Speakeasy, etc. I've enjoyed trying out numerous makes and models. All 4 stringers.

Since about 3 years I have only short and medium scale instruments.

Here's a good read regarding the merits of a shorter scale.

http://www.innertainment.net/medium.html

Very interesting article, thanks for posting.
I play long scales as well as short scales (including a Fender Starcaster bass) and I really agree about the fact that the strings are not floppy at all on short scales (with a heavier string gauge) and that the dead spots are really hard to find.

The only instrument that I can recall with obvious dead spots was the one and only Jazz I owned, since sold on.

I haven't noticed any on my present instruments though on all, certain notes sustain more powerfully than others to a small extent, but none are dead.

Edited by grandad

Short scales definitely bring something different to the party. We often think of 34in as the 'standard' scale length, but it was really just an informed guess by Leo Fender, somewhere between the 41in+ of the double bass and 24-25in of the guitar.

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1480765064' post='3186957']
I began my bass playing with 34's, Precision, Jazz, Speakeasy, etc. I've enjoyed trying out numerous makes and models. All 4 stringers.

Since about 3 years I have only short and medium scale instruments.

Here's a good read regarding the merits of a shorter scale.

[url="http://www.innertainment.net/medium.html"]http://www.innertain...net/medium.html[/url]
[/quote]
I only gig s-s basses too nowadays, so I really appreciate this article - thanks!

Good article. Thanks for posting that. I think it's definitely worth trying a short scale bass if you've never played one. I made the move a couple of months ago after 25 years on a long scale and I love it, although you might find you hit a few duff notes at first, especially if it's a move from long scale fretted to short scale fretless. (To be fair, I'd probably still be hitting some bum notes even if it was a long scale fretless.)

I'm just starting out playing a short scale. I'd be keen to hear from those that mix playing long (medium) / short scale instruments as after having played a 34" jazz bass for most of my years, it's taking some concentration to get used to playing short scale (muscle memory, string spacing, string tension and overall body / bass position (when playing standing up))

It's not that it's uncomfortable or impossible, its just that its unusual and I find myself concentrating harder (more tense) when playing. I guess it's like all things that the more you practice, the more you get used to it but I'd be keen to hear from anyone that went through this process - did you keep swapping between medium and short scale or just stick with the SS for a while?

I've been playing 34", mostly Precisions forever. Since September I've switched to a very nice 32" Warwick Rockbass Starbass. It took very little time to adjust and feels very comfortable. I picked up the P Bass for the first time since then last night and was having a little trouble adjusting which I found surprising.
I don't get the deadspot thing particularly. I don't notice them on any of my long scales. Maybe I've just nbeen lucky or that they're all atpast the 12th fret where I never venture anyway. The medium scale seams more even in volume across the strings maybe but the long scales do feel like they have a bit more oomph. Hard to tell with different pickups, etc. I do find I have to take more care EQ'ing the shorter bass to fit in the band mix.
I might even have a go at a proper 30" short scale if I see something interesting and cheap.

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' timestamp='1481012774' post='3188877']
I'm just starting out playing a short scale. I'd be keen to hear from those that mix playing long (medium) / short scale instruments as after having played a 34" jazz bass for most of my years, it's taking some concentration to get used to playing short scale (muscle memory, string spacing, string tension and overall body / bass position (when playing standing up))

It's not that it's uncomfortable or impossible, its just that its unusual and I find myself concentrating harder (more tense) when playing. I guess it's like all things that the more you practice, the more you get used to it but I'd be keen to hear from anyone that went through this process - did you keep swapping between medium and short scale or just stick with the SS for a while?
[/quote]

I swap between medium and SS without a problem. 34" now requires a conscious effort to move my LH whereas medium and SS require less LH shift.

Each neck feels different and width/string spacing to me is the major 'feel' factor. It does take quite some time for me to get comfortable with the action and feel of a different neck and I still swap around between my instruments, some days preferring this one and then another day a different one. I mostly play my Mustang nowadays.

I gave my Viola to my 14yr old grandson last month who seems to have taken a real interest in it. Quite a good light weight SS to start out on.

[quote name='Numerov' timestamp='1481016224' post='3188907']
With a 30 inch short scale bass I assume there will be a fair drop of tension in the strings.
Am I correct?

If I'm correct what do short scale bass players do to overcome this?

Thanks.
[/quote]

My 2 medium have D'Addario flats I think and the tension is certainly not loose. The Rotosound flats on the Viola were medium tension. The LaBella flats on the Mustang are slightly looser than the Rotosounds I had on previously. I think the core thickness/material is the main contender where tension is concerned, more so I've found than the gauge.

More info'.

http://www.ghsstrings.com/pages/faq-bass

D'Addario do a tension guide but to much information for me to process quickly.

Just found this 'au contraire' article.

http://menga.net/adventures-with-strings-on-a-short-scale-bass-guitar

I've played basses with all sorts of scale lengths from 26" to 36", and TBH it takes very little to swap between them, but maybe that's because I play a variety of other stringed instruments, so I'm used to all sorts of scale lengths.

My first bass was a Burns short scale, and I never used the E string on it, because it sounded rubbish when compared to the others. This turned out to be down to Rotosound failing to be able to make decent short scale round wound strings in the 80s rather than any actual short-comings of the bass, as it was fine once I discovered Newtone strings.

I don't have any problems changing scale lengths between 30.75 and 34 on a gig. As for string tension I use the same gauge on the short scale as on 34" scale strings, 45 - 105 and there isn't anything to worry about. My most recent short scale bass came with 40 -100 strings and I changed them to my regular 45 - 105 on which felt really good but I will go back to the lighter set when the next string change comes around. I like the flexibility on the short scale and thinner strings feel much better to me when playing up the dusty end of the neck too.

[quote name='Zummerbass' timestamp='1481055319' post='3189402']
As i'm still pondering the short/medium scale option this thread was rather timely. Great article posted by Grandad. Just got to find someone that stocks the damn things!
[/quote]

Where are you based?
I've just picked up a Scott Whitley SWB-1 Standard from ebay and it is very impressive so it might be worth keeping an eye out for one of those. Also, there appears to be a very nice Atelier SS in the classifieds here

With a 30 inch short scale bass I assume there will be a fair drop of tension in the strings.
Am I correct?

Thanks.
[/quote]
Heavier gauge strings - not heavier by much

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' timestamp='1481109267' post='3189723']
Where are you based?
I've just picked up a Scott Whitley SWB-1 Standard from ebay and it is very impressive so it might be worth keeping an eye out for one of those. Also, there appears to be a very nice Atelier SS in the classifieds here
[/quote]

I'm curious about the SWB-1. What's your thoughts so far?

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1481129931' post='3189919']
I'm curious about the SWB-1. What's your thoughts so far?
[/quote]

Initial thoughts are very good. Fairly well balanced for a SS, quite a punchy tone (I have the active mahogany) with quite a bit of tonal variety through the pickup selector and the bass/treble cut /boost. Personally, I prefer the treble rolled off quite a bit.

I am a fan of the pickup selector switch which gives me instant tone change between songs.

Having moved from a medium scale passive bass, I'm still getting used to the 18mm string spacing (although I can see this being helpful when I get used to it) and the heavier gauge strings as I usually play 100 - 40 rather than 106-44 that come with it.

[quote name='Floyd Pepper' timestamp='1481130576' post='3189927']
Initial thoughts are very good. Fairly well balanced for a SS, quite a punchy tone (I have the active mahogany) with quite a bit of tonal variety through the pickup selector and the bass/treble cut /boost. Personally, I prefer the treble rolled off quite a bit.

I am a fan of the pickup selector switch which gives me instant tone change between songs.

Having moved from a medium scale passive bass, I'm still getting used to the 18mm string spacing (although I can see this being helpful when I get used to it) and the heavier gauge strings as I usually play 100 - 40 rather than 106-44 that come with it.
[/quote]

Thanks. This is my SS, bought on ebay 12mths since. It's my first and only maple fingerboard. The string spacing is pretty close and does take some getting used to. The tone control is quite effective for treble cut and the pickups powerful considering their small size. It's a simple guitar with a good finish all round and great value for money at <£300 new.

[url="http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2011/08/26/squier-releases-vintage-modified-mustang-bass/"]http://www.notreble....d-mustang-bass/[/url]

I had RS77M on it which I liked, tone and tension.

When I discovered that La Bella did a special set for the Mustang I fitted them as I had wanted to try out La Bella's after the hype here and elsewhere. Are they worth the outlay? I'm in 2 minds.

The action is pretty good now after a set up by Rockstar Guitars of Blackheath. The tension with the La Bella's is I think slightly less than the Rotosounds and the tone a tad less modern.

Edited by grandad

Am I correct?

Thanks.
[/quote]

When I play on 34 inch I use 45-100 string gauge and when I play on 30 inch I use 45-105 string gauge. I just can't notice any difference in tension between the two of them.

[quote name='Guile' timestamp='1481403128' post='3192126']
When I play on 34 inch I use 45-100 string gauge and when I play on 30 inch I use 45-105 string gauge. I just can't notice any difference in tension between the two of them.
[/quote]

After trying out a mustang in Dawsons yesterday I'm definately getting a short scale soon. I've been looking at strings and icouldn't see any in my regular gauge, 45-105, what strings do you use in this gauge?

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/bass-guitar-strings-sets-c34/la-bella-760f-mus-stainless-steel-flat-wound-30-scale-fender-mustang-bass-p9677"]http://www.stringsdi...tang-bass-p9677[/url]

Changed to these due to it being a string thru' bass. The silk at the ball end is longer. If other medium scale strings are used there is a kink on the wrap where it passes through the body and over the bridge plate. This is okay and shouldn't lead to any damage of the wrap if care is taken when restringing.

Edited by grandad