Why become a member? ×

"They're playing your guitars in there"

stingrayPete1977

You got paid for doing a [b]Christams party[/b] for [b]care workers[/b].

I bet you even mic'ed up the bass drum.

And you wouldn't even let them have a go on your instruments.

You're a bloody mercenary Pete. That's what you are. That's for sure.

Edited by TimR

I think that drums are the main idiot magnets. I've seen my old drummer drag a few people straight over the front of the kit! He was a big chap too :D

Edit: Shame really. He was a great drummer, good voice and enthusiastic. But he had a nasty streak that grew with his ego...

Edited by Norris

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1480797400' post='3187254']
You got paid for doing a [b]Christams party[/b] for [b]care workers[/b].

I bet you even mic'ed up the bass drum.

[/quote]

Well it was a ballroom style room big enough for 300 people, I know you like your PA that fits in the guitarists boot but I think your 8" FOH speakers and unmicd kick would have been struggling in there :D

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1480827624' post='3187355']
Its good practice to pack away the mics and drumsticks as soon as the last note stops ringing, 'cos everyone is a singer or drummer after a few shandies! If I have my decent bass, that goes straight into the gig bag too..
[/quote]

If it's a pub where we are on the same floor level I normally would or I'd keep the stage area in sight, with this one raised up, 2 djs watching and it not being a tight for space room I was quite surprised, we were only gone for two minutes!

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1480797554' post='3187255']
I think that drums are the main idiot magnets. [/quote]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1480845094' post='3187425']
I'm not sure that I should be excluded from the category, now you come to mention it. :blush:
[/quote]

Indeed.
Although, it doesn't really say much about the Musicians who congregate around them on a gig.
:D

I once saw a guitarist packing up after a gig in a very crowded blues festival fringe venue come back from loading out the first armfuls to see two drunken girls having a go at the rest of the kit - and it took him a scarily long time to push his way back through the crowd to stop them. I suggested he and his mates should invest a few pennies in hi-viz vests - at least they would have got through a lot faster!

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1480877414' post='3187766']
As a classical musician I've never liked typical audiences for classical music, but reading this I may have to reconsider.
At least they were never drunk, and they wouldn't wreck the instruments or the stage.
[/quote]

I doubt many of the folks at the gig on friday had ever been to a classical performance, I wonder if they'd still shout for Sex on Fire between each song? :o

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1480882743' post='3187816']
I once saw a guitarist packing up after a gig in a very crowded blues festival fringe venue come back from loading out the first armfuls to see two drunken girls having a go at the rest of the kit - and it took him a scarily long time to push his way back through the crowd to stop them. I suggested he and his mates should invest a few pennies in hi-viz vests - at least they would have got through a lot faster!
[/quote]

I must say it's mainly been trouble from you girls joining in unannounced Josie :P :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1480883092' post='3187828']
I must say it's mainly been trouble from you girls joining in unannounced Josie :P :lol:
[/quote]

I will confess to occasionally trying out someone else's bass after a gig - but only if they handed it to me unasked! :)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1480877414' post='3187766']
As a classical musician I've never liked typical audiences for classical music, but reading this I may have to reconsider.
At least they were never drunk, and they wouldn't wreck the instruments or the stage.
[/quote]

Have you never played at last night of the proms?

And you're not necessarily safe on a slightly raised stage.

Was doing a corporate Xmas do at a Heathrow hotel a while back on a raised stage. In the middle of one song, once we'd got the crowd a bit revved up, the stage suddenly seemed to be bouncing a bit harder than our jigging would have suggested. Towards the end of the song I turned round to see three quite drunk ladies jumping up and down in their torrery high heels with my other Wal and the guitarist's Les Paul and Takamine slung around their necks (usherette's tray style).

We quickly truncated the song and as quietly as possible extricated our instruments from them without them getting damaged. The girls remonstrated and were told that these were expensive delicate instruments. One of them tried the old, "Yeah, well if we'd broken it we'd have bought you a new one". When we pointed out that left to right the replacement value of the instruments were a grand and a half, two and a half grand and four grand they had the decency to turn a sickly green shade of white, start apologising profusely and trooped dutifully off the stage and round to the front where they continued to party on while flirting with us for the rest of the evening. We had them back on later in the evening to do backing vocals with me on Mustang Sally so it ended up all very good natured.

From then on we always has cheap blow up guitars and saxophones available and ready to distribute to the punters.