Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a cab/cabs for my OTB500!

Killstarz

Hey, so I had a thread up last week discussing orange cabs to run with my OTB500 head and i got the info I was looking for from it (cheers guys). I'm starting to consider alternatives to orange cabs.

So, what's good these days? im looking to spend no more than about £600 (for one or a pair). More than happy to go for pre owned.

I play in a 90s alternative rock band (pearl jam, nirvana etc) but I often dep for a wedding band so need something that is loud, yet versatile and obviously that I can run with my current head.

This might be a nonsense idea, but the best cab I've ever owned was a Tech Soundsystems 4x12. Tech Soundsystems, became Tecamp, which is now Eich. German engineered bass gear. Light and VERY loud with an Orange Terror, although a little on the large side (a bit bigger in every dimension than a 4x10). I know there are a few out there so it might be worth a wanted ad in the classifieds section. The 4x10 equivalent is supposed to be excellent too. Both sell for well under your budget as they are relatively unknown.

I've used quite a varied range with mine, the best results I've had are with my own cabs obviously, but I've never really used anything that's sounded terrible other than a Hartke xl 4x10. Peavey of various models have always been good, Ashdown abm was ok, Ampeg was quite nice, I will say it does shine through my Four10, it sounds massive.

Given the variety of music you do I`d look for something as clean/flat/uncoloured as possible, seeing as the OTB doesn`t have the most flexible of eqs. So avoid anything with a really coloured sound, or any cabs that have a fair bit of high-end roll-off, such as Markbass. The Ashdown 112s in the Rootmaster range look to be quite good.

[quote name='Killstarz' timestamp='1480853790' post='3187534']
I've potentially got the opportunity to pick up a pair of Aguilar db112s. Anyone got any experience with putting the otb500 through this setup before?
[/quote]

No, but a gs112 sounded great with it. The dB cabs use the same driver tuned slightly differently so I'd say they'd probably sound great too!

I have an OTB (with Mullard Valves to tame the beast) and run it through a Barefaced Super Compact. Small, light weight, extremely loud and sounds fantastic. You can always get another cab at a later date but you won't have to! Have a chat with Alex Claber at BF. Nice guy who really knows his stuff.

[quote name='Killstarz' timestamp='1480853790' post='3187534']
I've potentially got the opportunity to pick up a pair of Aguilar db112s. Anyone got any experience with putting the otb500 through this setup before?
[/quote]

I regularly gigged an Aguilar DB210 cab, both with my OTB500 and AD200B before that. It was always more than enough/plenty loud. I hardly turned up far on either amp.