Why become a member? ×

Is MIM precision truss rod nut removable?

Having just responded to a thread about flat wound string gauges I thought I'd get around to asking a question that's been bugging me for a while. I put some La Bella 760 FLs on my 2015 MIM precision a few months ago, and whilst I did manage to adjust the truss rod to get the relief I wanted it felt very stiff, so I have a suspicion it's right at the end of its travel, i.e. the nut is right to the end of the truss rod thread. I know in theory I could put a spacer in, but it's not clear whether the nut will come out in order for me to do that, or whether the plastic "tube" that's in the entrance to the slot will stop it coming out.

Of course I may never need to adjust it further, though I might want to put some slightly heavier gauge flats on in the future, but in the main it's just something that's niggling me a bit.

Anybody ever tried or successfully done this?

Edit: Just to add, I don't think the problem is with the nut being seized or anything - I've tried slackening the nut off a little and it seems to move okay, and the bass is less than two years old so I'd not expect it to be a fault like that.

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

I find loosening off string tension is sufficient for the typical fender style neck to be adjusted.

Most of them IME adjust just fine at concert pitch - even increasing truss rod tension. I'd say it depends on the neck, and of course the strings. I'd avoid applying too much pressure to the nut when adding tension. Try removing the nut (with the strings loose), adding a small dab of grease to the nut threads - then reinstalling. That may assist the movement of the nut. a spacer/washer may end up being nescessary. Either way a little grease will make taking off & on - and future tweaking - a safer bet. I find it's dry or corroded threads that I'm most likely to damage.