Why become a member? ×

NBD 1980 Aria Pro SB-1000 "batwing"

AndyTravis

So after a search and a bit of detective work I've found something I've been after for a while.

An early Aria Pro SB-1000, The batwing headstock version.

This one has a poorly preamp, so I've ordered a new one from a chap in Finland who's reverse engineering them as the original units are known for failure (in fact, the last batwing SB-1000 I encountered had a dead preamp too!)

So I'll be posting photos and maybe a video later.

But to say I'm excited would be an understatement

Edited by AndyTravis

I had an SB1000 reissue, the John Taylor signature version that I regret letting go. I had ordered it from Aria through my local music shop and when it arrived we just couldn't believe how good it was. I've never had anything before or since with the same sound - bright attack and tight bottom end with a rather special punch just below it.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1480846447' post='3187442']
I had an SB1000 reissue, the John Taylor signature version that I regret letting go. I had ordered it from Aria through my local music shop and when it arrived we just couldn't believe how good it was. I've never had anything before or since with the same sound - bright attack and tight bottom end with a rather special punch just below it.
[/quote]

There's a modern (Japan only - I think...) SB Series which I've found online, and they do a gorgeous aqua burst version.

I thought "I'll order that instead..." £3000 before import etc 🙄

aria SB-SW/CA Is the model, beautiful thing.

I was looking out for a JT too, but I think they are held onto by people who have them.

Aria UK don't keep the current reissue in stock and didn't reply to my enquiries about the reissue or SW/CA model...so I found a used one.

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1480852500' post='3187513']
I was looking out for a JT too, but I think they are held onto by people who have them.
[/quote]
There's probably a reason for that - it was a really, really good bass. My only reason for letting it go was that my other bass was a Spector Euro 5lx with narrower string spacing at the bridge and I found that to suit me better. I've since bought a Warwick Custom Shop Streamer Stage 1 which although it too is a great bass and has a 3-way adjustable bridge (so that I can get the string spacing just how I like it) has a very different sound.

Edited by darkandrew

The same man in Finland makes exact replicas of the pickups.

I wonder.

I'm going to have the pickup tested (I am without multimeter) and if it is, then I know where I'm up to.

When I've had it plugged in with the new preamp, there's signal as I can hear that the pots are a bit gritty.

I would love it if they didn't epoxy everything so I could have a go of sorting it.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1480883004' post='3187826']

looks the part...just need to get some sound out of the sucker...
[/quote]

Oh my. That brings the whole 'Why did I sell my SB900 fretless?' thing back again! Lord, we do some dumb stuff in the name of GAS, don't we?

Edited by Bass Culture

Kid at my secondary school had one of these in a much darker brown stain, I don't remember the grain being as nice as yours though.

It was a lovely sounding/playing bass, I was quite jealous of it at the time.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1480969602' post='3188598']
Kid at my secondary school had one of these in a much darker brown stain, I don't remember the grain being as nice as yours though.

It was a lovely sounding/playing bass, I was quite jealous of it at the time.
[/quote]

The darker Grain batwing was my first experience. One day.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1480969111' post='3188587']
That looks beautiful. Lovely grain.

There are two chaps in Finland btw, one makes the pickups (Rautia Guitars) and the other does the preamps (Prostheta, occasionally of this parish). They do know each other though :D
[/quote]

One has had my money, the other will soon 😆

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1480969230' post='3188591']
I have always wondered what the rotary 4 way selector does on the 1000?
[/quote]

It's actually 6 positions and switches between different value capacitors to vary the tone

Edit: I did some sound samples at the end of my restoration thread (linked in my signature? Can't tell on mobile version). They are not the best quality as I was getting distortion if I did any more than tickle the strings - and I won't mention the playing :D It should give you an idea of the varitone sounds though

Edited by Norris

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1480857262' post='3187562']
There's probably a reason for that - it was a really, really good bass. My only reason for letting it go was that my other bass was a Spector Euro 5lx with narrower string spacing at the bridge and I found that to suit me better. I've since bought a Warwick Custom Shop Streamer Stage 1 which although it too is a great bass and has a 3-way adjustable bridge (so that I can get the string spacing just how I like it) has a very different sound.
[/quote]
And here are some pictures of it ...

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:134669]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:134670]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:134671]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:134672]

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:134673]

The black hardware and DR Black Beauties really suited it.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1480977281' post='3188753']
It's actually 6 positions and switches between different value capacitors to vary the tone

Edit: I did some sound samples at the end of my restoration thread (linked in my signature? Can't tell on mobile version). They are not the best quality as I was getting distortion if I did any more than tickle the strings - and I won't mention the playing :D It should give you an idea of the varitone sounds though
[/quote]
Very cool indeed, thanks for that!

That reissue is stunning.

So, stage two, the bass is off to Steve Curtis who's based next door to PMT in Salford.

I've known him for years and as daft as it sounds, I have him do repairs for me on my own gear even though people have me repair their gear.

He's just got a few things I haven't so the circuit can be tested before I sp**k £100 on a pickup I'm not convinced I need.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy! I'm surprised that Norris didn't tag me in on this thread. Yeah, this fault-find is a bit of a bummer what with the preamp not sorting it. I definitely agree with testing professionally before throwing more money or items at it. Keep me in the loop with the findings and I'm more than happy to provide what input I can. If it's of any consolation, swapping out any 40yo preamp - functioning or not - will have an impact on the noise floor, battery life and general clarity. The silicon used in the originals is incomparable to modern processes, that and the list of other improvements made.

Equally, Veijo [Rautia]'s pickups are identical exactly where they need to be and far better when they should be. There's a lot of love that goes into these old Japanese birds! :)

Edited by Prostheta

[quote name='Prostheta' timestamp='1482941682' post='3203649']
Hi Andy! I'm surprised that Norris didn't tag me in on this thread. Yeah, this fault-find is a bit of a bummer what with the preamp not sorting it. I definitely agree with testing professionally before throwing more money or items at it. Keep me in the loop with the findings and I'm more than happy to provide what input I can. If it's of any consolation, swapping out any 40yo preamp - functioning or not - will have an impact on the noise floor, battery life and general clarity. The silicon used in the originals is incomparable to modern processes, that and the list of other improvements made.

Equally, Veijo [Rautia]'s pickups are identical exactly where they need to be and far better when they should be. There's a lot of love that goes into these old Japanese birds! :)
[/quote]

I don't think you can tag people on basschat or I would have done. All you can do for a notification is to quote :D

Bass is stripped down.

Stumbled across a pickup from a 1985 Aria laser series bass and thought I'd give it a go (didn't cost me loads).

More noise, and the tiniest hint of a signal.

I'm done with it now - going to drop it off with Steve Curtis in Manchester as my time has run out and I'm back to work on the 3rd and I'm busy before that 😔

I am wondering whether the jack socket might be at fault. That's something we haven't discussed as of yet. It does get a bit crazy from that point diagnostically, since the power is switched by the jack's DPDT switch also. Wrong moves can cause permanent and swift preamp failure, as evidenced by a few other SB-1000 owners who have had catastrophic adventures.

If the jack isn't switching the batteries, then it could offer half of the supply voltage to the preamp or nothing at all. This might result in some sort of signal bleedthrough, but it's unpredictable in what would happen. Passive mode would be unaffected. If on the other hand, we don't have a signal in either mode, then the problem is upstream of the preamp (switch, pickup) or downstream of it (tone, vol, jack). I would first want to confirm that there is a stable and correct non-earth referenced balanced supply to the preamp (+9v, 0v, -9v) to figure out whether it is a power or signal path issue.

Ask Steve to ping me an email if he wants. Not sure of his direct experience with SB-1000s, however I'm happy to relate what I can.

Edited by Prostheta