Why become a member? ×

Headphones. The good, the bad, and the "oh, what a surprise"

funkgod

just wondering what everyones take/pref is on headphones,
I do most of my mixing at night and my studio is in the spare bedroom, so thats headphones time for me,
i have a few pairs of headphones, here is what i have found
some people like beyer Dt100, and i have some cus people like them and i wanted to try them,
i have beyer dt 100 and beyer dt100 canford compensated,
[url="http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/54-330_CANFORD-LEVEL-LIMITED-HEADPHONES-DT100-93dBA-without-cable"]http://www.canford.c...A-without-cable[/url]

now i personally can't stand them i think they sound god awfull, bass seems really bad in them,
i have some cheap AKG K44 had them years, and i seem to hear things better in them,
so...
when i mix a track for cd using them i know what the bass will sound like on a cd and i know what the cymbals will sound like and everything inbetween on a car cd player and an MP3.

If i use the Beyers my mix will be all over the place on cd because i cant hear bass very well in them so will add more in the headphones to get what i am use too etc, result is a bass heavy mix on cd and mp3.

so conclusion is, its just what you get use to, if i keep changing i have to re eq my head, if that makes sense?.

Now.. on saying all that, i was given a pair to try, tried them and found the difference was not so radical from my akg as my akg's were against the bayers, in fact they sort of made things clearer across the whole range, tho bass was a bit more heavy,
when i then tried them against the beyers the beyers sounded like dull mud.
i liked them,
imagine my surprise when i was told i can get them from thomanns for ............. £16.35p
WHAT ? :o Get the fffffront door !........

I loose more than that running for the buss.

so i ordered 2 pairs of " Superlux HD681"
and 1 of the more flat range HD681B"

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_hd681.htm"]https://www.thomann....erlux_hd681.htm[/url]

for the price these are very well constructed and more cumfy than my akgs
what a surrprise,
well worth a try for the money,
( if you order a pair, let us know what you think?)

is anyone else using these ? your thoughts ?

also what else is out there ?

Edited by funkgod

Long-term comfort and hard-wearing connectors and cable come high on my list of features; I'm very happy with my Superlux HD669's. I've had 'em for a few years now; I was encouraged to give them a listen as I use a set of Superlux drum mics, with which I am also fully satisfied. I'm sure there are 'better' headsets, but, having less-than-perfect hearing, and a modest budget, I'll not be tempted by subjective claims, nor technical specs. One gets used to one's gear, whatever it is, anyway, so, as long as reasonable compensation is in play, for me, anything Very Good is good enough. I'm not much of a gear snob, either, so that helps. Yes, I endorse Superlux stuff.

Edited by Dad3353

I use the HD681's in the studio and think there great ..i have tested how they sound compared to other far pricier offerings and prefered them to be honest
I realize that the beyer high ohm closed back monitor headphones are supposed to show every detail up but i agree sometimes i just think they sound sh*t and
dont really see the point of listening to to the mix in a way which you never would a finished mastered track.

DT100s are tracking headphones. They are designed to give you a useable working sound with the minimum of spill, so that you can record your part(s) while hearing everything clearly but not necessarily accurately. I wouldn't even begin to think about using them for mixing on.

I use a pair of AKG K240 MKII (open backed), which I've had for about 5 years now. I've gotten to know them very well, to the point that I'm slightly nervous about replacing them! And they do need replacing... they're literally falling to bits :unsure:

Do they have a flat response? Supposedly... but more importantly, I'm [i]very[/i] familiar with them and have a good idea of how my mixes translate when using them. But that's all down to time spent with them fixed to my noggin, rather than the manufacturer's specifications.

If I bought another pair, I'd be tempted to save up for some Sennheiser HD 600. Expensive at around £230-250, but well regarded on just about every music forum I've read.

All that said, I'm doing an increasing amount of mixing on Apple iPhone earbuds. I use them for probably 70% of my mixing time, then switch to monitors and the AKG cans once everything is sounding "ok" on the 'buds. It's a bit like the NS10 philosophy... if you can get something sounding good on earbuds, then it'll probably translate well to other sources. Works for me anyway :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1480944857' post='3188235']
DT100s are tracking headphones. They are designed to give you a useable working sound with the minimum of spill, so that you can record your part(s) while hearing everything clearly but not necessarily accurately. I wouldn't even begin to think about using them for mixing on.
[/quote]

Yeah, they're just very robust (bit like the SM58 logic I guess)... I think it's the DT770 for mixing IIRC?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1480944857' post='3188235']
[/quote]

hi BigRed, when i play the track in the head phones for our sax player to play/record along too, he just goes "uuuggghhh sounds rubbish" he prefs the akg's, ..... now, this might not be the sound ! he might be refering to the track :lol:
but yea get your point,

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1480948120' post='3188280']
but more importantly, I'm [i]very[/i] familiar with them and have a good idea of how my mixes translate when using them. But that's all down to time spent with them fixed to my noggin, rather than the manufacturer's specifications.

If I bought another pair, I'd be tempted to save up for some Sennheiser HD 600. Expensive at around £230-250, but well regarded on just about every music forum I've read.

All that said, I'm doing an increasing amount of mixing on Apple iPhone earbuds. I use them for probably 70% of my mixing time, then switch to monitors and the AKG cans once everything is sounding "ok" on the 'buds. It's a bit like the NS10 philosophy... if you can get something sounding good on earbuds, then it'll probably translate well to other sources. Works for me anyway :)
[/quote]

hi skol, yep my point exactly about having to re Eq your head when you change to something else after so long, its like having to learn again,
the superlux were not that far apart from my akg's so was almost like the next step rather than a leap, i can deal with small changes, :happy:

I just tested a whole range of different headphones for recording / studio / listening. I have used HD25's for about 15 years and the only headphones that came near them in a similar-ish range were the Spirit Focal Pro's, which are great for monitoring but have a much better stereo field and fatter low end than the 25's. So I bought those. I haven't stopped using the 25's though, still my favourites for straightforward mixing and general audio tasks.

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1481029297' post='3189082']
Studiospares m1000

[url="https://www.studiospares.com/Headphones-and-Speakers/Headphones-Studio/Studiospares-M1000-Studio-Headphones_448760.htm"]https://www.studiosp...ones_448760.htm[/url]

Great cans, exceptional for the money.
[/quote]

+1 from me - the M2000 are similar but open-backed, I have both and use the M1000 a lot more than I do my Adam F5 monitors (for various reasons). It's worth watching Studiospares for special offers on these headphones, they seem to be on offer quite regularly.

Edited by RalphDWilson

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1480948120' post='3188280']
I use a pair of AKG K240 MKII (open backed), which I've had for about 5 years now. I've gotten to know them very well, to the point that I'm slightly nervous about replacing them! And they do need replacing... they're literally falling to bits :unsure:
[/quote]
Might be worth looking at the PreSonus HD7 cans (https://www.amazon.co.uk/PreSonus-HD7-Semi-Closed-Studio-Headphones/dp/B004ACQMUQ/) - I replaced my K240 MKIIs a while back because the mini-XLR jack went on them, the HD7s, whilst pretty cheap, are remarkably good and fit and feel is pretty similar to the AKGs. Sound is probably not 100% as good but definitely good enough. I use mine mainly for doing audio mixing for audio at work at the moment and they've been very good for that. And for £30 you can take a punt (and return 'em if you buy from Amazon) without too much worry.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1481116429' post='3189802']
I keep meaning to get some DT770s for home. Maybe next month
[/quote]

Hi Charic,
Never tried the Dt770, but they seem high on peoples list,
i will look into trying a pair, be interesting to try against the superlux just too see.

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='funkgod' timestamp='1481155190' post='3190184']
Hi Charic,
Never tried the Dt770, but they seem high on peoples list,
i will look into trying a pair, be interesting to try against the superlux just too see.
[/quote]

I mostly remember finding them comfortable/decent build quality if I'm honest. At around £100 it's not a huge gamble though :)

I have a pair of Beyer DT150 'phones. They are great for recording with a sensitive mic as they provide excellent acoustic isolation, but too tiring and bass-heavy for other uses.

My go-to 'phones are the Sennheiser HD201 - so cheap I got 2 pairs, comfy and quite well balanced.

I think I would always want to check a mix through speakers though.

I got a pair of Audio Technica M50x heaphones. They're not flat but I've been able to mix with them quite well. My Yamaha HS7 monitors pair up nicely with them. The Yamahas give that flatish response and exposure of all the horrible frequencies and the headphones help check the mix with a more hi-fi sound. I know the headphones really well now which helps massively.

Before the M50x, I used a couple of Superlux headphones - the closed back 662F and the open back 668B. The 668Bs are a fantastic set of headphones for the £25 I paid for them although I have to say for general music listening the Audio Technicas top them.

I don't mix with headphones but I like to check a mix with 2 pairs of headphones and also iPod earbuds.

I have a pair of Koss Pro4s with the[font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][color=#454545]SLX40 element, supposed to be tuned for reference listening in a studio environment and they do sound similar to my alesis studio monitors. real flat but detailed. not very comfortable to wear for long periods but Highly recommended. I got mine for £115 online [url="https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/pro4s"] [/url][/color][/font][url="https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/pro4s"]https://www.koss.com...eadphones/pro4s[/url]

[font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][color=#454545]I then like to test my mix with a pair of Sony XB950AP. These Pack serious bass and I use it to reference the low end. These are bass exaggerated and are good for listening to anything and feeling like you are using huge speakers. Not as detailed but that bass!!!!! feels like someone is kicking you in the head if up loud. I love these for general listening and films too. great comfort on my large head. These are about £90 [/color][/font][url="https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-xb950ap"]https://www.sony.co....nes/mdr-xb950ap[/url]

[font=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][color=#454545]Last of all I test with standard/ possibly copy iPod earbuds, these are almost the polar opposite of the above Sony's and I use it to make sure the mix isn't to harsh for small headphone/ earbud users, after all this is how so many people listen these days. obviously these are not hard to get hold of and cost typically less than a tenner. [/color][/font]

Edited by Zombie1965