Why become a member? ×

Think I may have blown one of my studio monitors.?

bubinga5

Might be good as a 1st step to do a check like this [url="https://youtu.be/oharywNa044"]https://youtu.be/oharywNa044[/url] then do the same to the other good monitor ( if you have a stereo pair) and compare any difference ?
If the monitor has a standard jack input, just plug a guitar lead in and touch the 9 volt battery across the ends, tip and ring is it called ?, of the other jack plug.
You need to know if the speaker has blown or maybe a fault on the amp could be causing the squealing noise.

Take it you mean the bass amp plugged into the monitor ?

Edited by blisters on my fingers

What monitors are they ? What bass is it? Did you plug the bass guitar into one active monitor ?
It's fine to check the speaker itself as in the method in the Yoube video, but don't put a 9 volt battery into the input of a powered monitor.
You need to tell us a bit more than " bass into monitor". An active bass into a powered monitor could well blow the speaker. Sounds likely that's what has happened :(

[quote name='blisters on my fingers' timestamp='1480879102' post='3187781']
What monitors are they ? What bass is it? Did you plug the bass guitar into one active monitor ?
It's fine to check the speaker itself as in the method in the Yoube video, but don't put a 9 volt battery into the input of a powered monitor.
You need to tell us a bit more than " bass into monitor". An active bass into a powered monitor could well blow the speaker. Sounds likely that's what has happened :(
[/quote] M Audio active monitor, Active Jazz bass.Plugged it into one monitor. Yes the other one was ok.Whoops

Edited by bubinga5

It's hard to say without more information. It squeals when turned up. Does it do this when there is no signal which would indicate damage to the amp inside, or when you are playing music(not bass) through it. Does it play music when you have it turned down but distorts when you turn up? That would indicate the amp is probably working OK but something mechanical has gone wrong with the speaker.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1480886469' post='3187895']
It's disappointing this error could take out a monitor. A signal from an active bass should just clip, not cause damage.
[/quote]

I thought active monitors would take line level input, which means that a signal from a bass (active or passive) shouldn't even touch the sides, let alone clip.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1480926441' post='3188016']
It's hard to say without more information. It squeals when turned up. Does it do this when there is no signal which would indicate damage to the amp inside, or when you are playing music(not bass) through it. Does it play music when you have it turned down but distorts when you turn up? That would indicate the amp is probably working OK but something mechanical has gone wrong with the speaker.
[/quote]Well I'm not sure about music as my Macs charger has broken so no Mac. It will squeeling when bass is plugged in obviously. I can't say for any other source. I know of a guy who fixes guitar amp,s etc. I wonder if could have a look at it