Why become a member? ×

Laney Gear

interpol52

Hello all

I went to see Turin Brakes (remember them?) at the Picturedrome in Holmfirth recently. Part of the fun of going to any gig for me is seeing what gear the band are using. Usually its Ampeg, a few Hartke players and every so often I have seen an Aguilar rig pop up. For the first time in years though the bassist was using a Laney rig, I hardly ever see the brand mentioned anywhere nowadays. A quick look on the internet shows that its still alive and well and not all of it is cheap.

The classifieds on here hardly ever have it for sale, I can't remember the last time I saw anyone write about them on here. Anyone have one? The last Laney product I had was one of these below, I got it for Christmas in 1990.

[attachment=233400:linebacker.JPG]

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1480885566' post='3187875']
Remember Laney Klip gear? I saw Spencer Davis group back in the early 70s and they had a stage full of it.
[/quote]

My first amp (in 1974) was a Laney 100w Klip guitar amp......Mum's catalogue didn't have a bass amp for sale!

I had an Arbiter version of Mr Hall's invention that was stereo...one pick up to the clean , one to the "Klip".

Played through a 2x15" Carlsbro cab. Sounded fab!

My first proper amp, in around 1987/88, was a Laney Klipp, too. I blew it up, but that was just pure ignorance about tube amps on my part.

My current guitar amp is an old Laney Linebacker 100R. I've had it for donkey's years, even used it for practising bass at home for a while. Other than having to have a lead between the effects loop out and the effects loop in, otherwise it tends to cut out, it works fine and I use it most days.

This isn't mine, but mine was identical. My first decent amp, a Laney ProBass 150w 4x10 combo that my wonderful amazing parents got me for my 21st birthday. It was a marvellous amp, and served me well for many years.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/jazza42uk/Mobile%20Uploads/bassanlage-laney-pro-foto-bild-116106841_zpstxwf3urs.jpg[/IMG]

I used to have the 15 inch kickback combo..rb3?

[url="http://www.laney.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/RB3-kickback-right-copy.png"]http://www.laney.co....-right-copy.png[/url]

It was ok but a bit underpowered, and I still have a RB410 which still gets an occasional outing, heavy as feck though! I have no recollection of the 1x15 in this pick...maybe I borrowed it?

[url="http://s1122.photobucket.com/user/Mkuk0/media/bassrigjune2011.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by Oopsdabassist

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1480942530' post='3188197']
I had a Laney head back in the day, a DP150? I think? One of these:

[attachment=233433:Capture.JPG]

IIRC, it was pretty good! Can't remember what I traded or P/X'd it for, was a looooong time ago!
[/quote]

I had one of those - I seem to remember it was awful........May have been my playing though :-)

I used Laney bass amps consistently for the first 11 or 12 years of my bass-playing life. First proper bass amp was a Session 40 Bassman, superseded by an HCM120b when I needed something loud enough for a rock band. That one soldiered on for about eight years or so before giving up the ghost about a week before a gig, and an ex-display RB8 was bought off fleabay to replace it.

I guess the main attraction was that they were in my price range, but I always found them pretty reliable and I quite liked the sound. I moved over to Ashdown valve amps after the RB8, and I have more recently had a few evenings in a practice room which has amps from both the HCM and RB series. It's reassuring to go back to them and find they're still quite nice to play through, though I do find the HCM a bit brittle-sounding - perhaps I've just been spoiling myself with those warm valvey tones!

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1480951235' post='3188327']
I had one of those - I seem to remember it was awful........May have been my playing though :-)
[/quote]

You could well be right about those amps, i didn't really know my arse from my elbow back in those days! :lol:

A few years ago I saw The Small Fakers and the guy playing Ronnie Lane had a Laney. He'd snapped off the Y from the logo which I approved of.

The rehearsal studio I currently use has Laney bass amps and they are terrible. Probably more a reflection of the way they are treated as I have come across some okay Laney stuff in the past. I bought Tech 21 Sansamp VT pedal purely to make them sound better.

My first every amp was a Laney HC60 combo - I think that was the model name anyway. Late 90's/early 00's, got it used super cheap & it served me well for a good few years - girlfriend made me take it to the tip in the end, apparently the family of spiders living on the speaker was the final straw :-(

Have tried one of those cheapish RB8 (or 9) more recently at a rehearsal studio; not bad for the money, better than the bass amps most other rehearsal spaces provide.