Why become a member? ×

Travelling light....

mike257

Had to get in and out of a gig super fast yesterday because of tech problems on another show I was dealing with somewhere else, decided to see what I could get away with leaving in the van. Told the sound guy I was going to DI and walked into the venue with nothing but a bass, a lead and a clip-on tuner. Still sounded ace (despite my ham fisted playing!) and I was on the road within seconds of finishing the set, think I'm a convert. Anyone want to buy a couple of bass amps?

Edited by mike257

I prefer to have no instruments in the monitors, with all the sound of the bass from an amp behind me, but have gigged amp-less before with only a DI to FOH and it was fine. I could probably do it without being able to hear myself at all, but I suppose it`s more down to monitoring for the drummer, if they need the bass or not.

I played in Perth last night at a venue with PA and backline provided so took only my bass. Soundman came along and said to set the amp settings as I prefer but the 4x10 cab won't be used. If I hadn't read this thread I might have objected but went along with his advice and listened to my playing through the monitors front of stage. A bit odd at first but knowing it sounded good FOH put me at ease. Well done BC.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1480976611' post='3188735']
I prefer to have no instruments in the monitors, with all the sound of the bass from an amp behind me, but have gigged amp-less before with only a DI to FOH and it was fine.[b] I could probably do it without being able to hear myself at all,[/b] but I suppose it`s more down to monitoring for the drummer, if they need the bass or not.
[/quote]

Why would you want to do that, do you not enjoy the noise the band makes? Personally, my sound is my sound, and I get it from my guitar, amp and pedals. I would hate to just rely on a sound guy guessing the sound I might like the audience to hear.

A really interesting topic and one close to my heart. I don't play without an amp and cab very often but I do use very small and light gear.

Something worth mentioning is that you can use [i]some [/i]amps as a DI box without using a cabinet.

Disclaimer - I believe that certain amps (valve amps?) can be damaged by doing this. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will chip in.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1481475021' post='3192537']

Why would you want to do that, do you not enjoy the noise the band makes? Personally, my sound is my sound, and I get it from my guitar, amp and pedals. I would hate to just rely on a sound guy guessing the sound I might like the audience to hear.
[/quote]
Are you micing your amp up?

Last year my old Ampeg died during our soundcheck but the built in DI was still working so we got through the gig with the bass going FOH only. Unfortunately our little 100W 1x12 powered wedges really aren't man enough for anything more than vocals so I could only hear what was in the FOH mix. Not an experience I'd be in any hurry to repeat at all!
This morning though I ordered myself a wireless IEM system to use mainly for vocals (our lead singer got the same system a few weeks ago and loves it) so at least if that situation ever happened again I'd be able to hear myself properly.
Personally though I much prefer the sound of my bass coming through my amp than the sound we got from the PA - given the choice.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481477884' post='3192566']
Are you micing your amp up?
[/quote]

Nah, mate, 99% of the gigs we play are not that big. But even small festival etc I like to hear my own sound on stage even though its miced up or DI into the PA. Individual in ears must be luxury but if we were big enough to do that I would have roadies to lug the gear so it wouldn't be an issue anyway, would it?

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1481480344' post='3192608']

Nah, mate, 99% of the gigs we play are not that big. But even small festival etc I like to hear my own sound on stage even though its miced up or DI into the PA. Individual in ears must be luxury but if we were big enough to do that I would have roadies to lug the gear so it wouldn't be an issue anyway, would it?
[/quote]

Most of the time the sound guy is still deciding what the audience hears even when you have the sound you want on stage then.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481482748' post='3192621']
Most of the time the sound guy is still deciding what the audience hears even when you have the sound you want on stage then.
[/quote]

Errr, no. I just said, 99% of the time we are not mice'd up as the gigs are too small.