Why become a member? ×

Got amazing tone! :)

LukeFRC

Was playing today - DI straight through the PA, my IEM - and everything set up perfectly... (for once)
and I love this bass - my Warwick SS1, barts and a silly ACG preamp, tone stacks... set then leave... blend control... set then leave...

just move my right hand and I've got everything from big deep woody sounding, punchy P bass sound, naisal snappy jazz like burp and everything in between - just by moving my right hand up and down...

To have a bass that is just so so so so so responsive to playing dynamics is really a great thing.

Just wanted to share that, that's all. Bass forums are so often about wanting something new and lusting after some new bass sound (or just saying that Leo got it right second time and all we need is a Precision bass) and it's good sometimes to reflect on the really cool things that we actually own and use.

L

Edited by LukeFRC

Nice - I do love a streamer, played a few in the past but am yet to own one (one day though)!

91 Streamer - is this the Wenge neck with cherry (?) body or had they changed to mostly maple construction by then?

@jazzjames - that very much depends on the year of manufacture, they go from jazz-style thinness right through to full on baseball bat!

I'll pay more attention then! I think I've mainly tried new ones, so post 2006 was the first time I went to a good music shop in London.

I like fat necks- i play a 58 precision reissue, but it was the shape and the big brass frets that felt quite tall on the edge of the board.

Edited by Jazzjames

[quote name='felixxx' timestamp='1480934637' post='3188095']
They are amazing basses. However, I can't help thinking that if your post was about p or j bass you would get like 50 responses so far.
[/quote] probably!
But only if it were sunburst

[quote name='Jazzjames' timestamp='1480946488' post='3188264']
Good for you! A guy that I sent to college with used one of those. He sounded fantastic, and really liked the bass. I however, can't get on with Warwick necks, and find them uncomfortable to play.
[/quote] they change with era - early ones tend to be really thin. It's when they stepped up production in late 90s and 2000s the necks got bigger.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1480955975' post='3188389']
Nice - I do love a streamer, played a few in the past but am yet to own one (one day though)!

91 Streamer - is this the Wenge neck with cherry (?) body or had they changed to mostly maple construction by then?

@jazzjames - that very much depends on the year of manufacture, they go from jazz-style thinness right through to full on baseball bat!
[/quote] early is wenge neck with cherry laminates and cherry body
Then came wenge neck with maple laminates and body
The came maple neck with wenge laminated and maple body what I've got
Then they stopped using wenge so it's a allmaple bass with a synthetic wood as laminate
Then - I don't know wHat they use now as they are way outside my purchasing power

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1481018595' post='3188933']
Ok - I know the one you've got now!

I really fancy one of the mid-late 80's ones with the wenge neck & one piece bridge - a couple came up on here for bargain prices a couple of years ago but I just didn't have the funds :-(
[/quote] if you have the funds now message warwickhunt - he was selling one not so long ago.

I've an old thumb with the one piece bridge and carved headstock - that's nice too