Why become a member? ×

Preparing for battle.

Phil Adams

I spotted and Ibanez BTB 1605 for sale on DV247's website yesterday. It was up for £629 and I went to bed last night thinking that I might make enquiries in the morning.

In the cold light of dawn I realised that this is in fact a stonking price, so I foolishly phoned to ask if the bass was in stock and if so was there anything wrong with it.

I was told by a staff member that the price hadn't been updated, and the best they could do would be £875.00

So, while the web page was open showing the price as being £629.00 I added it to my basket and applied for credit.

And now I'm waiting....... Price on their website is now £1059.00!

I guess I can't insist that they sell it to me for the price they advertised it for.

IMO they are obliged to honour the price at which it was advertised and ordered, and if they fail to do so you could threaten them with Trading Standards, BUT if this is an honest mistake on their part (which it would appear to be) morally I don't think you can insist on them honouring it, especially as you were made aware of the error before placing the order. It depends on whether you are the type of guy that hands back the extra tenner that someone gave you in your change by mistake.

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1480950288' post='3188306']
Looking at the citizens advice page. Once you have a contract it is clear cut, item is yours at that price.
Finance agreed is a contract, deposit paid, I'd be hopeful.
[/quote]

Thats what I said, only in a better way.

I'm not going to be slagging them off if they didn't honour it. My stupid fault for questioning the price, should have just bought it and kept quiet.
Says the order request has been received (at 629.00!). Says to check after 6 when the orders have been received by the carriers to track the order.
Not seen anything yet that says "tough luck sucker!"
Hopeful!

Edit:

Ive had confirmation of the order from DV247 at the agreed price!!!

I wonder of I'll get a BTB 675??

Edited by Phil Adams

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1480932520' post='3188061']
IMO they are obliged to honour the price at which it was advertised and ordered, and if they fail to do so you could threaten them with Trading Standards, BUT if this is an honest mistake on their part (which it would appear to be) morally I don't think you can insist on them honouring it, especially as you were made aware of the error before placing the order. It depends on whether you are the type of guy that hands back the extra tenner that someone gave you in your change by mistake.
[/quote]
Sorry no, basic sog act law
Price shown, unless and until you actually hand them money AND they accept it, is an invitation to treat - see boots v royal pharmaceutical society -modern equivalent is payment by card over phone or clicking buy now and paying

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1481107304' post='3189697']
Sorry no, basic sog act law
Price shown, unless and until you actually hand them money AND they accept it, is an invitation to treat - see boots v royal pharmaceutical society -modern equivalent is payment by card over phone or clicking buy now and paying
[/quote]

You are correct. The issue here was that the buyer applied for credit, so no contract was in place at the advertised price. If this was a "cash sale" and the seller had confirmed the order then the contract would have been in place.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1481108313' post='3189715']
Even verbal agreement is not enough, you'd have to pay a deposit and so have be consideration for the promise

I have a shiny law degree
[/quote]

I kinda gathered that from you quoting case precedence

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1481232360' post='3190905']
Might not be the 'party line' but I sort of feel sorry for the shop?
[/quote]

me too, but didn't want to say anything.

I wonder if the mistake relates to the actual model they are selling rather than the price.

[quote name='MarkJB' timestamp='1481283058' post='3191162']
It still seems to be up at that price.

[url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/ibanez-btb1605-5-string-bass-guitar-natural-flat--216521"]http://www.dv247.com...al-flat--216521[/url]
[/quote]

In that case, having had communication about the price, I find it difficult to have sympathy with the shop, but the OP's gone quiet on this?