Why become a member? ×

New Fender American Professional Series....

Musicman20

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1481113496' post='3189766']
I know its easy for us to talk about what Fender should and shouldn't be doing but did no one in Fender think to take some test pieces out into the public domain, bass shows or something and get opinions on these instruments??

The same old sh*tty colours and some new sh*tty additions, why not throw in some of the cool vintage colours from the past that aren't being used on other models? Another thing with the US standard/pro instruments that has always done my head in, is the router hump by the neck joint, why in gods name cant they sort that out and grade it in and finish the instrument properly? I have had 3 Squiers that don't have it and they play fine and the necks never fell off or anything drastic like that.

I have a huge in-explainable sort spot for Fender, the RW and vintage USA stuff seems to be well received, but they seem to be losing the plot IMO. To think what superb quality instrument you could buy for £1500.......the mind boggles as to why anyone would buy a new USA fender.
[/quote]

Did you actually look at the new colours? The olive one is pretty nice, and the 5 string precisions look nice, it's not really quite the same old. There's no point in crying about the prices, that's been on the cards for months.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1481138228' post='3190018']
Mannnn that sonic grey Jazz really is one of the nicest looking instruments I've ever seen.

Some contrast to the worst hairstyle I've ever seen...
[/quote]

The hair is supposed to be a bass clef, though I thought she'd stopped wearing it like that some time ago in favour of something more conventional?

Maybe she's decided it's her unique trademark?

Edited by Cato

I'm hoping to be able to pick up a brand new 2 year old American Standard Jazz Bass for a steal in a year or two :)

re MIM vs MIA, I have a P bass of each,same year 2014.

The string thru on the MIA is a great additional option. The high mass bridge is awesome. The rolled fretboard is more noticeable than you might think. The CS pups are nicer too. So is the fretwork. The MIA is double the price. I think both basses are great. I intend to gig with the MIM and record with the MIA.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1481112847' post='3189756']

It'll be fine and people will pay it. :)

I remember back when the updated US Standard range was released in 2008 and people were saying that £795 rrp was too much for them. This year people were paying £1200+ for the same thing. (And don't get me started on "custom shop" pickups on the post 2010 models that justified another price increase. What the hell is "custom" about winding a pickup ffs?)

Frank.
[/quote]

I think the £795 was more than reasonable. Heck, I bought and sold around 5 until the changes in 2011, then I settled on an 09 P Bass which is absolutely killer, and an '11 J Bass which is definitely what I'd class as a good quality Jazz.

I think the £1100-1200 asking price of the 12-16 models was also 'fairly' acceptable. It was obviously a fair jump from what the prices used to be, but at least the pickups were fab.

Now...£1500 for a pretty much bog standard USA P bass? I mean, Olive Green is ok, but it isn't very exciting for that money.

The bridge has been, from what I can see, changed so that it does not allow for string alignment. Makes zero sense.

'Tall/Narrow' frets. Do we want that?! Is that suitable on a bass?

V-Mod pickups? They've change the bass side of the P pickup to alnico-2....is that a good thing? The bass itself sounds quite 'hi fi' to me for a P bass which is not what I would want out of a P. It could well be the amp/compression/post production...

I don't know...it does not seem like an upgrade to me. I love buying gear and I have ZERO interest in the basses. In fact, I have zero interest in the guitar apart from the Jazzmaster and Jaguar, and even then I'm not entirely sold.

Edited by Musicman20

I also cannot see this as an upgrade - just different. Personally I'm very happy with my 2012 Jazz with the CS pups and for me the change wouldn't suit. I'm currently looking at getting a Precision but the American Standard is my first choice. The prices of the professional series are just daft.

Edited by mr zed

Now the full specs are out and the vids to give an idea of the tone, I must say I'm not taken at all. I want a new P currently, though I already have a MIM 2011 P I want a new one to give me a different sounding P, flats and rounds. And after a GREAT experience with the Elite series, Fender were a genuine consideration. Now, I'm not interested in them.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1481200680' post='3190425']
... I want a new P currently...Fender were a genuine consideration. Now, I'm not interested in them.
[/quote]

There are still plenty of American Standards new in the shops, now that they've been discounted to a grand they're an absolute bargain - I don't think they can be beaten at that price.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1481209671' post='3190588']
There are still plenty of American Standards new in the shops, now that they've been discounted to a grand they're an absolute bargain - I don't think they can be beaten at that price.
[/quote]
You're not wrong, but I was hoping the new series would bring some new colours, I've got an Oly white and whilst I like 3TSB, I was after a classic Fender colour, such as; Burgundy mist, Aztec/shoreline gold, LPB, or Dakota Red/Fiesta Red!

Yeah, I'm pretty choosy! ;)

New colours from Fender?! Nah - I get you, that makes it harder. I quite like the new Olive colour but not enough to spend 1500 on a bass that doesn't sound 50% better than the American Standards judging on that video up thread!

We'll see - I'll be in the market for a new bass in the new year and I'm currently torn between a P-bass or a Streamer stage-1 (not that they're anything alike - I just fancy both of them really) so I'll definitely give these new fenders a go but these new pick-ups & frets are going to have to be incredible to make me go for one!

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1481211129' post='3190609']
New colours from Fender?! Nah - I get you, that makes it harder. I quite like the new Olive colour but not enough to spend 1500 on a bass that doesn't sound 50% better than the American Standards judging on that video up thread!

We'll see - I'll be in the market for a new bass in the new year and I'm currently torn between a P-bass or a Streamer stage-1 (not that they're anything alike - I just fancy both of them really) so I'll definitely give these new fenders a go but these new pick-ups & frets are going to have to be incredible to make me go for one!
[/quote]

This! Spot on.......

PMT have a US Jazz V for under £1200 which is good if it's as nice as mine, I'm sure mine was about £1500? I can't see what the pro version has to make it worth another £200 than I paid never mind £500 more than the US Standard they have in stock! Still got the dual graphite neck rods, light weight tuners, polyurethane rather than polyester finish etc. Good old Fender :)

I guess i'm the only one who quite likes these new Fenders, I don't see the problem with any of it. You can get whatever you want in a huge number of price points, and if you want fancy colours, you can still order a CS. The price is horrible, yes, but all prices are going to be horrible from now on, it's pointless complaining about it.

NOT Pro series but wonder if these will make their way over here.
I like the cosmetics :)

EDIT. They are here. £690. Tempting!

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/s-l1600_zpssd7mizii.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1481362096' post='3191716']

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/s-l1600_zpssd7mizii.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

What is that?

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1481362096' post='3191716']

[/quote]

Yeah, thats funky! Do they make that with a B string do you know?

Mex Standard Ltd Ed. opal/pearl white with matching headstock.
Can't find a 5 I'm afraid.
http://www.reidys.com/pr/electric-guitars/fender-fsr-special-edition-jazz-bass-white-opal-23395/?&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison&gclid=CNejzq2F6tACFRAW0wodsJMAqA

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1481326545' post='3191619']
I'm a staunch Fender fan but this "upgrade" is poor in my opinion. Plus, why get rid of the tortoiseshell on the white and sunburst models?
[/quote]
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1481327306' post='3191625']
Yep stupid, looks like the old Méx version now on the 3tsb.
[/quote]

+10000!

Those white pickguards simply cheapen the look.....why, oh why would they put those on, and up the price? :(

I think the Olive is nice, though. :)