Why become a member? ×

New Bass Day 25 Dec

kendall

For a few months now I've been looking at various 4 string basses as my old faithful is really battered and has become a bit of a chore to play.

I set a budget of about £400 max as I can't justify any more for an Xmas pressie. I whittled my list down to 5 basses to try out

1. Squier Dimension
2. Epiphone Thunderbird classic
3. Musician Sub Ray 4
4. Squier CV P Bass
5. Ibanez SR300

Took myself into a store last Monday and tried out a few. The Thunderbird, whilst sounding nice, was uncomfortable. The Ibanez felt a bit underwhelming on the tone, but played nicely. The SubRay sounded great and played nicely. I was pretty much set on the SubRay but it had a ding in the headstock and rather than take a discount, I wanted a mint one.

Back to another store on Saturday, with Mrs K in tow, where I retried the SubRay - still liked it, tried the Dimension and instantly disliked it. The Squire CV was a lovely quality bass, and sounded good. But I still wasn't sure which to go for. Mrs K pointed out an Ibanez SR500BM which she liked the look of, because the colour would match our coffee table and mantlepiece! I wasn't sure as the SR300 I had previously tried hadn't really grabbed me. But I gave it a go....

Instantly, I was hooked, playability, tone, finish etc bowled me over. Then on checking the price, it was a touch over budget by £130. Mrs K pointed out that over the last few months, she's not seen me get excited by a bass like this one, so decided to try and get a deal for us. Mission accomplished, a nice reduction on price and approval to spend a bit more from Mrs K and I'm the proud owner of an Ibanez SR500.

I do now have to wait until Xmas Day, but am really excited about opening this. My 4 month quest is over......

[quote name='Mattpt85' timestamp='1480937299' post='3188132']
what was it about the dimension that you didn't like?
[/quote]

The Dimension, felt very cheap (which it was I admit) but compared to other Squier models I'd tried and even own, it just felt poor quality, fret ends were rough, controls very loose and the tone was a bit flat and one dimensional (no pun intended).