Why become a member? ×

Robbie Williams icon award

leschirons

Apparently, only the third artist to get this award. The other two were Elton John and David Bowie. Bit of a difference in output there as the other two have/had, careers spanning 40 plus years. Surprised it wasn't someone like McCartney, Peter Gabriel or Kate Bush etc.

I'm not a huge fan of Mr Williams, but in his defence he won a shed load of Brit awards and has had a very successful career, with a chart record, both singles and albums, that's not been matched by many.

Not every celebrated 'musician' (and I use the year loosely) can come from the 60s and 70s, things have to move on.

No matter how much we may disapprove.

Edited by Cato

[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/FullSizeRender_zpsiw01velp.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/FullSizeRender_zpsiw01velp.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Here's me and two of my band members with the Robster after we supported him last christmas*

*may not be the real Robbie, terms and conditions apply, your house may be at risk etc.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1480975132' post='3188704']
I'm not a huge fan of Mr Williams, but in his defence he won a shed load of Brit awards and has had a very successful career, with a chart record, both singles and albums, that's not been matched by many.

Not every celebrated 'musician' (and I use the year loosely) can come from the 60s and 70s, things have to move on.

[/quote]

I agree about the 60s and 70s bit however, I was kind of referring to the fairly well documented fact that he wrote no music and possibly provided a few lyrics though in fairness, the term "icon" doesn't dictate that you have to create, simply be, an icon.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1480975949' post='3188724']
[URL=http://s997.photobucket.com/user/stingraypete/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/FullSizeRender_zpsiw01velp.jpg.html][IMG]http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af100/stingraypete/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/FullSizeRender_zpsiw01velp.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Here's me and two of my band members with the Robster after we supported him last christmas*

*may not be the real Robbie, terms and conditions apply, your house may be at risk etc.
[/quote]

Living the dream Pete, living the dream LOL

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1480976500' post='3188731']

I agree about the 60s and 70s bit however, I was kind of referring to the fairly well documented fact that he wrote no music and possibly provided a few lyrics though in fairness, the term "icon" doesn't dictate that you have to create, simply be, an icon.
[/quote]

Most of Elvis' songs were written by other people, most of Cliff's too.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but , unfortunately, sometimes it's charisma and marketing that make the big records big.

Whether he is worthy of this award is debatable but i dont think you can argue he has worked incredibly hard over the last 20 odd years to get where he is.
I think to many musicians the fact he doesn't notably play an instrument makes him appear less talented.
I think he is a great showman with a good voice and im not sure his arrogance is any worse that a lot of other performers.

He is one of the most instantly recognisable people on the planet and has given pleasure to millions of his fans so I think that is pretty iconic.

Having said that i cant bear to hear Angels anymore.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1480977181' post='3188750']

Most of Elvis' songs were written by other people, most of Cliff's too.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but , unfortunately, sometimes it's charisma and marketing that make the big records big.
[/quote]

This. I don't mind a bit of Robbie TBH. "Lazy Days" is a great tune and so is "No Regrets". Definitely past his best but he has had a decent career. Kate Bush wouldn't have turned up to collect the award anyway. 😉

Just watched the programme on ITV. Whatever you think of Robbie, still some great songs there.
And a top band too, with Guy Chambers back in the fold on keys

For me, Robbie falls into that category of 'quite like some of the music, don't particularly want to watch
him perform it though' - along with Elton, Cliff, Buble etc.

Get your bets in now on next year's recipient being that bloke off Britain's Got Talent who did the rap about not being able to find his keys or his phone.
I actually quite like most of the songs from the first 2 albums if I'm completely honest (alright, not Angels then) but he does seem a bit of an odd choice to me.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1480975132' post='3188704']

[/quote]

Using that thought process would mean The Spice Girls and Boyzone are nailed on for next year.

Like Oasis, Williams was on top of the pile for a few years in the UK but was unable to sustain the same level of critical or commercial success over the longer term. Now he's half forgotten. Outside the UK and especially in the US he aroused little interest. He has an unremarkable voice while Guy Chambers actually wrote the music to his big hits.

I quite like his voice to be honest. The gig shown last night proved how well he can sing, didn't falter once to my ears.
The band were exceptional too, especially the drummer as mentioned above.

As for his being 'half forgotten', this from Wiki -
Two days before the album was released in the Netherlands, Williams received a gold edition of the album during his appearance on [i][url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTL_Late_Night"]RTL Late Night[/url][/i] on 2 November 2016 for over 20,000 pre-orders of the album in the country. It debuted at number 1 on the UK album's chart with combined first week sales of 67,000 copies sold.[sup][url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heavy_Entertainment_Show#cite_note-12"][size="2"][12][/size][/url][/sup]

Maybe not as impressive as his previous releases, but still doing it.....

He's a pretty boy who fell off the boy-band conveyor belt. Without his support team, he'd be nothing. If he looked like me, he'd be nothing. But he can hold a tune and the girlies love him, and that sells. Good luck to him. He's not fit to be held in the same esteem as Elton John and David Bowie though.