Why become a member? ×

Robbie Williams icon award

leschirons

Massive Industry back-slapping backhander alert. Album to promote for a failing artist and a build up to a reunion/anniversary tour (which happened a few years back with Progress so they've stolen their own thunder already) to push.
[u]Massively[/u] successful performer/recording artist? Yes. Icon? My arse.

I am not a fan of his particularly. I watched him on tv performing live, and he was playing Let Me Entertain You. He was a really good showman and really got the crowd going. I started having a bit of respect for his craft. As too whether he is an Icon, I am not too sure. In the last 20 years, I guess it is between him and Will.I.Am. I would go with Robbie out of the 2.

Saw him live at Knebworth, I've never seen an artist hold a crowd that big so effortlessly in the palm of his hand. It was as remarkable a performance as I've ever seen.

He's definitely an icon, it all depends on your definition of 'icon' as to whether that's a good thing or a bad thing...an icon after all can be defined as the visual representation of something, not necessarily the thing itself.

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1481022514' post='3188988']
Massive Industry back-slapping backhander alert. Album to promote for a failing artist and a build up to a reunion/anniversary tour (which happened a few years back with Progress so they've stolen their own thunder already) to push.
[u]Massively[/u] successful performer/recording artist? Yes. Icon? My arse.
[/quote]This. I'm always suspicious when the tail appears to be wagging the dog.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1481014525' post='3188891']
Like Oasis, Williams was on top of the pile for a few years in the UK but was unable to sustain the same level of critical or commercial success over the longer term. Now he's half forgotten. Outside the UK and especially in the US he aroused little interest. He has an unremarkable voice while Guy Chambers actually wrote the music to his big hits.
[/quote]

Funnily enough I do lump him into the same box as Oasis - and not just because I can't stand either of them. Absolutely massive for a few years in the '90s before losing the plot and spending a long time in the wilderness with a few slightly sad-looking attempts to return to fame. As chard suggests above, it does seem to coincide a [i]bit [/i]too conveniently with the release of a comeback single.

Robbie Williams an icon? Don't make me laugh. Just because he's sold 19m albums in the UK and another 57m worldwide and had 7 UK #1 singles and 31 UK top ten singles and 12 UK #1 albums and 17 Brit awards doesn't make him an [i]icon[/i]. Just the most chart-topping British solo artist ever which is completely meaningless out of context.

Performer? Not even on the same planet as Richard Jobson out of The Skids which was the first band I saw back in 1978. And he doesn't even write his own songs unlike Elton John and - er - Bernie Taupin.

If Robbie Williams got up and sang at one of my band's monthly gigs at the Frog and F*ckwit I bet no one would even notice. What a loser.
[color=#ffffe0].[/color] Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1481148899' post='3190140']

Robbie Williams an icon? Don't make me laugh. Just because he's sold 19m albums in the UK and another 57m worldwide and had 7 UK #1 singles and 31 UK top ten singles and 12 UK #1 albums and 17 Brit awards doesn't make him an [i]icon[/i]. Just the most chart-topping British solo artist ever which is completely meaningless out of context.

Performer? Not even on the same planet as Richard Jobson out of The Skids which was the first band I saw back in 1978. And he doesn't even write his own songs unlike Elton John and - er - Bernie Taupin.

If Robbie Williams got up and sang at one of my band's monthly gigs at the Frog and F*ckwit I bet no one would even notice. What a loser.
[color=#ffffe0].[/color]
[/quote]

Exactly. It's all about sales and who's career the record companies want to wring another bestseller out of.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1480971691' post='3188642']
Whoever thought to award it to that plonker when there's literally dozens of more deserving artists out there needs their head examining, what a joke.
[/quote]

Replace 'that plonker' with the name of any artist you care to name and that sentiment will ring true for some people and not others.

It's all just opinion, there's no right or wrong. There might well be sour grapes though ;)