Why become a member? ×

High mass bridge doesn't fit

SH73

Finally, I got around to replace the stock bridge with Fender high mass bridge (looks like bad ass) on my P bass.
Both bridges have five holes but spacing is not identical. Should I use wood filler to fill holes and drill new holes at the same line or move the bridge forward and drill new holes.
Any advice?

I did exactly this with my Squier VM P5. In my case it was a Badass II. I ended up siting the BA slightly further back than the original bridge to ensure I had enough travel for the B to intonate. Do this & you're golden. Along with taking all precautions to make sure it's dead centre etc.

I'm with Gary. Wood filler looks the part, but it's not strong. I would use cocktail sticks (they're hard wood, matchsticks are weak firewood). Glue one stick in place, then cut fine sticks from the same cocktail sticks and ram the holes full. Let the glue set and then drill the new holes.

When you fit the new bridge, use masking tape under the old bridge for you to draw markings on the body, to show you the positions of the sides and the back line of the old bridge.
Then find the centre line of the old bridge and mark that.
Them mark the centreline of the new bridge and align that on the body with the centreline of the old bridge. Also align the back of the new bridge with the old backline - unless the style of the new bridge means you need more/less space. Roceci beat me to it! :D

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1480973617' post='3188674']
I did exactly this with my Squier VM P5. In my case it was a Badass II. I ended up siting the BA slightly further back than the original bridge to ensure I had enough travel for the B to intonate. Do this & you're golden. Along with taking all precautions to make sure it's dead centre etc.
[/quote]
[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1480973803' post='3188676']
I'm with Gary. Wood filler looks the part, but it's not strong. I would use cocktail sticks (they're hard wood, matchsticks are weak firewood). Glue one stick in place, then cut fine sticks from the same cocktail sticks and ram the holes full. Let the glue set and then drill the new holes.

When you fit the new bridge, use masking tape under the old bridge for you to draw markings on the body, to show you the positions of the sides and the back line of the old bridge.
Then find the centre line of the old bridge and mark that.
Them mark the centreline of the new bridge and align that on the body with the centreline of the old bridge. Also align the back of the new bridge with the old backline - unless the style of the new bridge means you need more/less space. Roceci beat me to it! :D
[/quote]

I consider both options. I may not like the bridge so may want to avoid filling the holes.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1481025471' post='3189022']
I consider both options. I may not like the bridge so may want to avoid filling the holes.
[/quote]
Fix it with 3 screws only until you know. That way you'll probably be using the same centre hole and only need to drill the 2 outside ones.