Why become a member? ×

Stringbusters Reliability/Customer Service (WARNING - AVOID THEM!)

TomWIC

Haven't posted in a while so I'm a bit out of touch with the latest comings and goings of the Basschat world, but can anyone let me know if Stringbusters is still reliable?

It's getting too expensive for me to be buying one or two sets of Kalium strings now so I'm looking to switch to GHS Bass Boomers instead as the bassist from Architects uses them and has a great sound. Anyway, ordered a set from Stringbusters (who I have used before 3/4 years ago without an issue) first thing on Wednesday 23rd November, honestly expecting them to arrive by first class post on Thursday or Friday at the latest.

Monday rolls around and still no strings so I give them a call, after noticing on their website my order says "awaiting dispatch". I get told that their website isn't working properly and that the strings have actually been dispatched and should've arrived by now so I said I'd give Royal Mail another day to be sure (it is the busy season after all). Tuesday comes, no strings, so I give Stringbusters another call and they say they'll do another invoice and send out another set. Didn't receive an email confirming a second set had been dispatched or that they had put the order through again or anything but meh, no big deal.

Fast forward to weekend just gone and still no sign of either first or second set of strings from them. I ring them on Saturday a few times and keep getting a non-personalised voicemail, so I leave all my details and ask them to call me back to see if we can sort it out and today passed without any contact from them at all.

I'm a little bit pissed off now to be honest, if I had needed the strings urgently I'd be screwed but as I don't I feel I've been pretty lenient with them. At this point I feel tempted to just ask for a refund and go to Strings Direct or something. I know it's only £30 but it's not the point :(

Can anyone offer any advice on how to proceed or give me any reassuring feedback about them to put my mind at ease?

Cheers

• 4 months later...

I ordered 3 sets of elites DBE strings mid January 2017 - they sent 1 out because they were out of stock and said the other 2 would follow in early February. It's now April - still nothing and I've phoned 2 times now for a refund (on the 2 sets of strings I didn't receive) - it shouldn't take 2 weeks to refund my money? I'm not sure what's going on with them as they were always very reliable in the past.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1491599317' post='3274287']
I've had universally good experiences with both Stringbusters and Strings Direct.
[/quote]strings direct have awesome customer service trouble is that the price of the strings has gone up a lot not just a few pence but 3-4 pounds a set of one's I buy which is a lot of cash

I have ordered from them for about years. I last ordered a bunch strings during the Christmas period. The order took about a week to arrive but (a) it was the Christmas period; and (B) I was in Orkney.

Their website needs updating though. It is so old fashioned which doesn't inspire confidence.

I had an issue last year when the status DBE strings were unavailable, clicked on the button for the Elites and after over a week I phoned up to find that "the other guy was supposed to ring you to say they are out of stock" Give them they're due though, they did supply another make priced at nearly double for the same price for the inconvenience. Just pressed the button for some Hotwires DBE from Status, after a week no money taken and no contact, emailed them, Dawn was supposed to contact me to say they're out of stock! So it happens all over really! Not many other choices really! Best boil up the set I've got on :)

Not been a problem for a few years now. I had just the one off instance of when I had no delivery... " oh were out of stock and waiting for those to come in" to which I replied "thanks for letting me know well after the event and taking my money upfront." to which they were very sorry and threw in an extra free set.

It hasn't happened to me again since so I guess its just one of those things that for what ever reason came and went.

Have been a few times the website hasn't worked but they told me it was a temp thing. The site is a little clunky but I guess its probably a right old hack to update. Overall though I think they are pretty good. I usually order a min of two sets at a time and re-order at the time I'm on my last set to cover all bases. If its really important I need a new set in a hurry I contact them by phone and order like that. They will confirm they are sending same day.

Until they do something that tells me otherwise I'm happy to keep using them.

Edited by bassjim

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1491663521' post='3274650']
Dawn was supposed to contact me to say they're out of stock! So it happens all over really! Not many other choices really!
[/quote]

Is it just me, or is it invariably "Dawn" who was supposed to call me when somebody's warehouse has run out of those particular strings/that DVD/that beer?

Always been very content with Stringbusters' service myself. But then I've never had to press them for anything urgent, and my usual order is for half a tonne of assorted Rotosounds, so I'm not exactly pushing them into the dustier corners of their stockroom.

I've used Stringbusters for well over 10 years but my last three orders (starting end of November) have all turned up late & incomplete..
Either "out of stock" but not showing when ordering, or just not all turning up at once & always having to wait nearly a fortnight from initial ordering, And this has been orders of at least 3 sets at a time?

My next string order will be with Strings direct, I don't care if they are slightly more expensive, at least they're local..

I managed to order Status black nylon flats on the Status webby, only to get an email sometime later to say they stopped having them made,
and they dont know how i managed to order them. I got told to refresh my browser ? How can that be the problem

They didnt take any money, but did say they would let me know when they're back in. That was 4 months ago

I suspect if i was ordering a £3000 MK graphite wonder plank, the communication would have been more forthcoming

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1492045793' post='3277495']
I managed to order Status black nylon flats on the Status webby, only to get an email sometime later to say they stopped having them made,
and they dont know how i managed to order them. I got told to refresh my browser ? How can that be the problem

They didnt take any money, but did say they would let me know when they're back in. That was 4 months ago

I suspect if i was ordering a £3000 MK graphite wonder plank, the communication would have been more forthcoming
[/quote]

I used Status strings for years but I've given up now.
On one occasion last year it took Status 6 weeks to tell me the strings I ordered were out of stock AND they weren't getting them made anymore.
Disappointing, but little point me giving Dawn a hard time about it.

Yup, same here. Just gave up on the strings.

I even tried to order a pair of pickups and preamp, a bit later, but there's not enough info on specifications, and some info on there on these items is confusing

I tried to get clarification, and i ended up getting nowhere. I gave up and bought Aguilar Soap Bars and Noll preamp

• 4 weeks later...

I've also been using these guys for years with no issues, but my most recent order from 25th April is still "Awaiting Dispatch". I did send an email Friday asking for an update but it's probably too soon to expect a reply yet. I don't like to sound impatient but when you spend a couple of hundred quid on strings a time you don't expect crap service!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I should update this thread. I have still had no response from Stringbusters after they took my money. No response on the phone, no emails, and I even sent them a Facebook message which has been read but ignored. I opened a dispute with PayPal which has been escalated. They have until the 23rd to respond but so far there hasnt been any acknowledgement whatsoever.

I would recommend that nobody uses these guys again. It's fair enough for a company to run into problems, but there's absolutely no excuse for this behaviour. I cant even buy replacement strings elsewhere until I get my money back because buying Elixirs in bulk isn't cheap!

Anybody know of anywhere else I can get these without paying through the nose?

With some great regret I have to say a very disappointed bassjim here. Three weeks this one has been dragging on.

Ordered on line. Nothing saying my choice of string out of stock. Ordered a few sets. They took the money. Then nothing. Chase up phone call 1 and chase up phone call 2 had them contradicting themselves plus still no strings. After these phone calls just the one set turns up a week late, with a royal mail date stamp that again contradicts when they said the strings were sent. First missing order blamed on the post.
More phone (from me to them. never them to me) calls and apologies made to me with promises of free strings plus refund. Nothing. Another phone call and am told a refund on its way same day. 2 days later .Nope.

Again its with great regret I report this as they have been spot on up till now. Have since been elsewhere (cause like, y'know...still need some strings!!!! :angry: :mellow: ). Oh dear. This recent experience doesn't inspire confidence for future purchases. A bit of honesty goes a long way.
" sorry out of stock".= ok get elsewhere this time and come back next time around. Three week balls up = go elsewhere and stay there.

Edited by bassjim

I always get mine from either Amazon or strings direct. Both have fantastic customer service.

Whenever I've looked on the string buster website they've always been out of stock with whatever I've wanted.

DV247 are good too. I just bought a 6 string set of Thomastik flats for about £30 less than anywhere else was selling them for.

Unbelievable. Did you pay using PayPal? Buyers protection is a godsend. I should have my money back next week. Even if they respond at the last minute offering to send my stuff I'll decline. I'm not doing business with people who treat their customers like that.

All sounding very like a (non-music) shop I used to use who went out of business, so I googled them and noted some very poor reviews on Yell and a few other sites, all fairly recent and with similar issues about payments being taken and no sign of the strings.

Then this

https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.stringbusters.com

check out he second review down from Miles C

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I can't comment on the truth of this, just re-posting what I found[/font][/color]

Edited by Monkey Steve