Why become a member? ×

Compressors

radiophonic

I need a compressor and it must be foot-switchable. It's for boosting / sustaining harmonics largely, so I need to switch it in and out during specific passages. I have an old BOSS CS 2 that in theory does everything I need, except for the fact that it badly thins out the sound even when in bypass mode. Does anyone have experience of other compact pedal type compressors that offer a cleaner bypass? I have some more modern Boss pedals and these seem OK in that respect and I definitely recall bypass issues with an old CE2 I had as well, so maybe this is something that has been addressed since the 90s. Maybe the CS 3? Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

Okko Coca Comp is a strong candidate for what you're after as I was looking for the same, however I never got to try one as I found & kept a Rothwell Love Squeeze & am very impressed with it. Previous comps I had all added too much noise (two we're boutique ones) but the Rothwell doesn't :) .. my 2c

For clarity in harmonics, a multiband compressor - and a good one at that will be a good choice. The TC Spectracomp with the addition of the free TonePrint editor software is hard to beat. The algorithms on board are lifted from TC's own highly regarded studio rack systems. I use multi band compression because I need to be able to have deep pounding bass at times, but still hear chords, melody lines and indeed harmonics ringing out but without the side effects of heavy compression.

The cool thing about Spectracomp though is that if you want CS-2, Ross, EBS style compression characteristics, well, it'll do that too :)

You could modify the CS-2 you have to improve it a bit, these guys will do it for you, I've not used them before I just stumbled across their web site.

http://www.pedalmods.com/mods/boss/boss-cs2.html

Monte Allum does a kit if you are handy with a soldering iron.

http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html

I modded a CS3 using one of his kits and it made a big difference.