Why become a member? ×

Will running two preamps at once damage my amp?

Cosmo Valdemar

Since finding my Rolls Tiny Crossover box - which I had completely forgotten about - I've been thinking about doing a bit of frequency-splitting experimentation. I've always been intrigued by the bi-amping associated with Entwistle and Squire and the mix of tones you could achieve.

I'm currently running a Tech 21 Leeds into the effects return of my Ashdown Mag amp, effectively using the Ashdown purely for the power. My plan is to run the bass in to the Rolls, split the signal into two separate Leeds, then run both signals into a Boss LS-2 and then into the Ashdown as before. Logically giving an approximation of bi-amping but with only one amp.

What I'm worried about - will this overload the amp in any way, or is it safe to do?

For those unfamiliar with the Rolls:

http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=SX21

Surely the Boss LS2 operates as an either/or switch, ie it won't blend the two sounds? ETA oh yeah, just looked at one - yes it can mix A+B inputs, I'd imagine this is perfectly safe to then send into an amp or its FX return.

Edited by paul_c2

It'll be fine. The only potential problem will be whether your pre-amps are too hot for the LS-2, or whether the LS-2 is not hot enough to drive your poweramp. I doubt that'd be a problem though

Does using the effects return on your amp cut out the pre-amp signal? Or maybe you have an effects blend control? I'm just wondering whether you could use the front end of the amp for the low side of the crossover... it'd save you buying another Leeds and an LS-2