Why become a member? ×

200W Tube heads - Hywatt dr201, Weber Mywatt 200, Reeves 225

drums1977

Hi guys,

I am considering purchasing a 200W "English Style" tube head. I had a SVT VR but sold it because of the weight, just too much, and also far too much power for my needs. I am looking at the options for 200W, but I naturally gravitate towards the weber Mywatt because of the weight, only 22 kg (like a Ampeg V4b, wch is only a 100W head), its price (1400 Eur new) and the fact that it is fully hand made in the EU. I have checked the "original" Hywatt DR201 and the Reeves 225, but the price is wild and the weight difference is huge. On forums, everyone swears for them all, but I wonder what the real tone differences are. The Reeves sounds insane on their web samples, and apparently the Mywatt and the Hywatt sound identical. The Mywatt offers updates features like the individual tube bias adjustment or speakon connector, but there is very little information or samples online. Also, when people samples this kind of amp, they tend to focus on heavily overdriven tones. I like a natural, organic grunt when I dig in the strings, but I also appreciate a warm rich clean tone.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this amplifiers, thanks a lot!!

The Weber Mywatt is VERY well built! It is very clean sounding and has lots of high end.
Apparently they are not 100% perfect clones of the DR201. (There are people claiming Hiwatt "leaked" wrong schematics in order to prevent clones.
But it modding it seems easily doable.
Have a read: http://www.stagedoc.lu/pimp-my-amp.html

ok :)
My Weber recommandation was based on you mentioning the Hiwatt/Reeves amps.

My personal tube amps experineces are based on the few tube amps I had and played extensively: Ampeg V4BH, Weber 100 & 200, Sadowsky SA200.
The difference in sound between the Weber 100 & 200 are minimal.
The Ampeg is on the other side of the spectrum whereas the SA200 lies in between both "extremes"
The db750 I had is more of a SA200 style sound with a more limited eq.

My point is not all tube amps are sounding ampeggish or hiwattish.

So, what's your flavour?

Edited by gillento

After a lot of reading and listening to samples (unfortunately I can't try any of these locally) I think I will try the db751. I love the tone and eq of my tonehammer. I play regularly with a Svt vr and as much as it is great, I have never thought WOW. I did think that when I listened to my tonehammer for the first time. I didn't expect that tone from such a small head. If the 751 is better and louder than that,it might be 'my thing'!

[quote name='drums1977' timestamp='1481322635' post='3191590']
A... I play regularly with a Svt vr and as much as it is great, I have never thought WOW.......
[/quote]

my thoughts on Ampeg all tube heads as well!

Since you are considering tube sounding hybrids as well, have a look at the Mesa Walkabout (NOT Subway). After playing lots of 500watts hybrids over the last decade (Ashdown ABM, Eden, Markbass TA503, ....) the Mesa is still the best sounding between all of these and its output is more than enough with a single 410, 212 or two 115.

Have you also considered this option http://stonehamamps.co.uk/YI200-Bass-Head(3023626).htm ?

Martin Stoneham is a new name in the guitar and bass amp world but he is gaining a reputation for very well made good sounding lightweight valve amps. I've tested the prototype of this head and it's everything I'd want in a valve amp. The advantage with Martin is that as it's all handmade point to point wired, if you want any tweaks to the design, he can accommodate.

Edited by JPJ

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1481376217' post='3191842']
Have you also considered this option [url="http://stonehamamps.co.uk/YI200-Bass-Head(3023626"]http://stonehamamps....ss-Head(3023626[/url]).htm ?

Martin Stoneham is a new name in the guitar and bass amp world but he is gaining a reputation for very well made good sounding lightweight valve amps. I've tested the prototype of this head and it's everything I'd want in a valve amp. The advantage with Martin is that as it's all handmade point to point wired, if you want any tweaks to the design, he can accommodate.
[/quote]

Martin has fixed tons of amps for me, I can agree with this.