Why become a member? ×

NBD - Fender RW Jazz

LewisK1975

So - happy NBD to me.

Fender RW Jazz bass, acquired from Daveyboyrooster of this very parish. Here it is, after getting it home and getting familiar. Also had a string change (Sorry Dave, the flats felt lovely, but i'm really used to the lower tension of the Dunlop superbrights I've been using) and setup to my own personal taste. Managed to get the action nice and low with only minimal buzz when digging in. Really punchy sound to it, I'm a very happy man!

[attachment=233537:IMG_0064.JPG]

And here it is with it's sibling:

[attachment=233538:IMG_0067.JPG]

And here saying an aloof hello to some other members of the clan:

[attachment=233539:IMG_0070.JPG]

Such a nice bass, been wanting one of these for a while, and when I saw this one, with the replacement stack knobs (Dave also supplied the original bell plate with pots and jack) I knew it was the right one.

Few emails later, and a blast up the motorway, deal was done. Unfortunately didn't get to meet Dave as he was stuck in work, but Mrs DBR was very welcoming even though I was late getting there! :rolleyes:

Overall a great purchase, from a top fellow BC'er :i-m_so_happy:

Great stuff Lewis. I knew you'd been thinking about getting one of these for a while. Glad you went for it.
The Fender Roadworn Jazz is the bass that got me back into old-school style basses again, and made me fall back in love with Fenders too - I'd been "off" them for quite some time. The roadworn series are absolutely awesome. They're stunning basses, that sound, look & feel beautiful and easy to play.

I've got the same 2 RW's as you -same colours too, though my P is now a P/J and is even better than it was before :)

Happy NBD to you. I bought a Fender Flea sig Jazz from our local BC'er FuNkShUi too. I didn't "need" it - what with my RW Jazz already being so awesome, but I'm loving the new Flea Sig. Played it, and just had to have it :)

Cheers Marc, yeah I agree they are awesome. I've had the P for a while now and I've been so impressed with it, it was a no-brainer on the Jazz really, just a matter of waiting for the right one to show up, IMHO they're way too pricey to buy new at the moment.

Nice catch, the Flea was on my radar too as a possible alternative if the deal didn't work out, how does it compare with the regular Roadworn Jazz? Much the same?

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1481112973' post='3189759']
Cheers Marc, yeah I agree they are awesome......
....the Flea was on my radar too as a possible alternative if the deal didn't work out, how does it compare with the regular Roadworn Jazz? Much the same?
[/quote]

Hi again Lewis. Both the regular RW Jazz and the Flea sig Jazz are built in Mexico. They are sort of similar - but also quite different. They both look, sound and feel vintage and worn-in (as opposed to worn out lol). But the finish on the neck is quite different on the Flea sig. It feels more matt than both my other roadworns. Also, the neck is slightly thinner front-to-back than the regular RW Jazz.

Actually, though I've not weighed either on a proper scale, the Flea sig does seem rather lighter in weight than the RW Jazz. It feels like the lightest Jazz I've played. Some time back, I fitted an old set of DiMarzio pickups to my roadworn, and they are absolutely brilliant! It still has a vintage sound, but it has a beefier output, and a bit more bite. With the Flea sig, I'm still getting used to the controls, as the stacked knobs are unfamiliar territory for me.

The range of tones available, and the added control of sound is great, but I find I'm still fiddling with the controls too much. I've yet to plug it into a big amp, or gig or rehearse with a full band - but I'm loving it already. My trouble is, I really do have too many basses, and I really should sell one now - but which one? Oh the pain, the pain! ;)

EDIT: I wish I could get hold of another set of 70's / 80's DiMarzios for the Flea - though the stock pickups are good, those old DiMarzios are brilliant (I got mine cheap, 2nd hand locally too - I was lucky)

Edited by Marc S

I have a 3TSB RW Jazz and the Flea sig and love them both, i now use the Flea all the time as it has rounds on and suits the band better but the 3TSB RW Jazz is my favourite bass. It genuinely feels like a vintage instrument.

If and when they do a RW 60's P I'll have one

Cheers Marc, interesting that the Flea's neck profile is different, I guess it's modelled on his actual Bass neck. Kind of glad really then, as my hand seems to prefer a chunkier neck (as chunky as a jazz can be, I suppose)....Good score on the old dimarzios! gotta love the cream!

Yeah I'm with you on having too many Basses, with this one added, it makes 8 now. Probably not many by some folks standards, but to put it in perspective, this time last year, I didn't have any Jazz basses, now I have 4. Seems a bit silly.....but you're right, which one do you sell?!?!

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1481127212' post='3189897']
I have a 3TSB RW Jazz and the Flea sig and love them both, i now use the Flea all the time as it has rounds on and suits the band better but the 3TSB RW Jazz is my favourite bass. It genuinely feels like a vintage instrument.

If and when they do a RW 60's P I'll have one
[/quote]

Interestingly mine had flats on it when I got it, not sure which make but they had black silk on the ball end and red on the peg end. Thought about leaving them on, but I'm really used to the lower tension of the Dunlop Superbrights I've been using and with those on (and setting it up to my own personal tastes) the Bass jumped to life in my hands...Very happy man indeed..

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1481178610' post='3190226']
gorgeous bass, HNBD !

if you wanted to post more pics, including close ups, it wouldn't be a bad thing , just sayin hehe
[/quote]

Thanks, I'm really happy with it, the pics do enlarge if you click on them, not extreme close ups mind you!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1481202155' post='3190455']
Sadly mine had a terrible gap around the neck pocket so I returned it with heavy heart.
[/quote]

Slightly OT but I've seen this written three times on here in the last week, not to mention all the other references in the past; what are peoples problems with neck pockets? You mean it was really roughly cut so it looked bad?

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1481214271' post='3190654']

Slightly OT but I've seen this written three times on here in the last week, not to mention all the other references in the past; what are peoples problems with neck pockets? You mean it was really roughly cut so it looked bad?
[/quote]

I mean there was a massive gap between the end of the neck and the body. It was so loose I could easily shift the neck from side to side when playing.

Nice bass Lew!
Glad you're enjoying the Flea Marc.
I'm not a jazz bass kinda guy, but i could easily have been converted if i didnt need the money from the sale.
The Flea was a quality bass. I loved how articulate it was, and how easy it was to play.
If your RW is anything similar, which i'm sure it is, you got a cracker

Yes, the Flea is lovely FuNkShUi - I took it to rehearsal last night (well, it was just me & the singer / guitarist, and in his living room) but it played nicely, and sounded good. The neck is very definitely slimmer than the standard Roadworn Jazz though, and I can't decide which one I prefer... The RW neck is chunkier, but not as chunky as say an older P bass neck, not as chunky as a 90's Jazz I once owned, but chunkier than the Flea, and chunkier than an early 70's J neck. (EDIT: I liked the 70's RI Jazz I once owned, but found the neck on that too slim for my liking.... fussy B******!)

I'm surprised to hear that Cosmo Valdemar had a RW with a gap around the neck pocket :o
My 3 Roadworns, and every other one I've seen, have no gap - they are a very snug fit. I discovered this when adjusting the truss-rods on my 2 RW's (not had to do it on the Flea yet). It has been mentioned on here, that the RW's, although made in Mexico, are finished and quality-checked in the US - I don't know whether this is true or not, but with my own experiences and speaking to other RW owners and guitar shop staff, they are made from select woods and are of top quality components and finish.

Glad you're still enjoying your Jazz Lewis - long may that continue matey :)

PS. Perhaps we should form a Roadworn owners fan club, with regular meetings and tea afternoons? ;)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1481242510' post='3190995']
How could it shift with 4 bolts in it?
[/quote]

I can only assume the holes it the body were vastly wider than the screws? But even then I'd have thought if they were screwed tightly enough the friction between the two woods would have been enough to keep them still.

If anything I'd have thought you would want a gap between the sides of the neck & the body as if they were tight you'd risk damaging the finish when removing the neck or when the two woods react differently to atmospheric pressures.

Bizarre, still no closer to the explanation!

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1481276694' post='3191101']

I'm surprised to hear that Cosmo Valdemar had a RW with a gap around the neck pocket :o
My 3 Roadworns, and every other one I've seen, have no gap - they are a very snug fit.
[/quote]

That's comforting to know as I really would love another one. Everything else was spot on! I must have just had a dodgy one that slipped through.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1481242510' post='3190995']

How could it shift with 4 bolts in it?
[/quote]

As the neck extends so far out from the screws, and with a relatively small area actually being fixed to the body, it's quite easy to get some side-to-side wriggle from the neck if neck pocket isn't snug.

Got it on the bench last night to have a look and there was no issue with it choking when played acoustically. The saddle on the G is a little low compared to the other strings (My dodgy set up, not a QC issue) but the string rung out fine.

I think it might be an amp issue as I was playing through the rehearsal rooms old knackered Ashdown combo, I'll try it out tonight on my gig through my Orange rig.

I also had the 3TSB RW on the bench as I have an unlocatable buzz on the E string. I can't find it for the life of me. Body end, not a fret or nut buzz. Held everything down and it still buzzed. The only thing I can think it is is the silk on the bottom of the string almost comes over the bridge and I think the buzz is where the ringing string causes the string rather than the silk to hit the bridge ??

Sounds unlikely I know

• 1 month later...

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1481879256' post='3195850']
Got it on the bench last night to have a look and there was no issue with it choking when played acoustically. The saddle on the G is a little low compared to the other strings (My dodgy set up, not a QC issue) but the string rung out fine.

I think it might be an amp issue as I was playing through the rehearsal rooms old knackered Ashdown combo, I'll try it out tonight on my gig through my Orange rig.

I also had the 3TSB RW on the bench as I have an unlocatable buzz on the E string. I can't find it for the life of me. Body end, not a fret or nut buzz. Held everything down and it still buzzed. The only thing I can think it is is the silk on the bottom of the string almost comes over the bridge and I think the buzz is where the ringing string causes the string rather than the silk to hit the bridge ??

Sounds unlikely I know
[/quote]
I had a hard to locate buzz on my AVRI p bass, turned out to be a spring in the bridge just slackened the intonation screw stretched the spring out and it was sorted once the intonation was set again

• 2 weeks later...

They are absolutely fantastic instruments and way superior to any of the USA models.
I had one but sadly I just don't like Jazzes. If only they had done a late 60's P bass the same way...now that I would have been all over.
Just saying, but if you measure it up you'll find all the body and neck dimensions are thinner than the top range USA basses. I think that's why they feel soooo good.