Why become a member? ×

MOTU Digital Performer V9 (9.1) software. Anyone use it?

VTypeV4

Just the above really..

I've recently picked up an 828MK3 second hand and I'm considering making a more compact 'mobile version' if you will - of my existing setup which has an 828x at it's heart.

I'm considering using DP9 as an alternative to the tried and tested as surely they'll work in perfect harmony both coming from the same company? Pro tools works just fine and I also have two ancient versions of Cu-Base for home recording and I have no issue with any of them, I was just wondering if DP9 might be better?

I'll be using it for live multi-tracking at gigs as well as the more traditional layer-by-layer process and probably creatively for my own group using the midi sequencing and soft synth parts of the software also..

B)

Why not stick to what you know? (protools I assume) You're already running a motu interface with no issues. Learning a new DAW is a major headache! I tried DP back at version 6... not for me, plus it's very expensive. I've got an 828mk3 and it's solid as a rock with various softwares (Mac).

I'm just wondering if there's anything it does better than PT or Cubase? I appreciate 'better' is very subjective and mileages may vary.. And yes I'm mostly using PT on a Windows 7 computer which, as good as it is as a virtual tape machine and sequencer, I find the creative process a little uninspiring. Maybe that's what I'm looking for...?

Just seen they do a 30 day free trial of DP9..

I've used my 828x as part of a mates Mac system using Logic X via Thunderbolt as well as my own and it too has been rock solid. I've been very impressed with the hardware, it syncs with the computer and the 02Rs without any upset hence me buying second 828MK3..

An up to date Cubase (which you'd get an upgrade offer for I expect) might be preferable as you know it a bit? Or cubase lite (or whatever the cut down version is called). DP used to be Mac only, I see it's windows also these days, you might want to check out Motu forums and see how happy the customers are with 9.1, motu make great hardware but their software has often suffered from lack of support, or at least that was the situation a few years back.

For multitrack protools is king but if you want virtual instruments and that kind of thing then logic/cubase/dp are stuffed with goodies! I'm a mac + logic user.

30 day trial of dp is helpful, let us know what you think :)

Edited by tedmanzie

I am a Cubase user for my own stuff (PC), but a company I work for use DP9 (On both Mac and PC),
so I have some experience using it. (The key commands differ from Cubase a lot and do fry my brain a bit) :)
But key commands apart, I think it's still easy to navigate around.

DP has only been on Windows since version 8 and is not as stable as the Mac version (random crashes),
although it is getting there with each update. So worth bearing that in mind. (Specific crashes are over on the motu forum).

It has a nice clean interface and the tab system works great. I like the work flow on DP, but that is a personal preference of course. All the Audio side of it is good (as with most DAW's).
We do a lot of Midi editing, and the in depth midi editing is very impressive. If you like doing Midi editing using notation as opposed to PRV, or indeed, using both in combination, the DP editor is excellent for that.
To me, it really shines in that department. 'Chunks' is also a great feature. Originally, It was aimed at folks who compose music/cues to picture/film etc, because of the extra time lines and ease of video Sync. The facilities for that are excellent.

These days, DP fits the whole bill, It has some good Synths and the FX are excellent.
The automation lanes are great as well, no where near as cluttered as other DAW's.
The midi functions are certainly on the level of Cubase and Logic.

Definitely worth downloading the demo and getting stuck in.
Quite a few tutorials on YouTube and a few over at the MOTU site that are worth checking out.

Don't forget that there are crossgrade deals knocking around for DP, it brings the price down quite a bit.
One here, I am sure there are others.
[url="http://www.westenddj.co.uk/motu-dp-comp-crg"]http://www.westenddj...otu-dp-comp-crg[/url]

EDIT: I have just noticed tedmanzie has posted something similar. :)

Steinberg have just released Cubase V9. The new zone and tab system has finally arrived, doing away
with that old floating windows system (still there if you need it for dual monitors etc).

Edited by lowdown

I don't know what it's like on Windows (or the current version on the Mac TBH) but MotU always used to have their own way of doing things especially with the interface which means that there was a lot of extra code in their applications to do stuff that the OS should have been handling. This re-inventing of the wheel doesn't always make for the most stable or intuitive of systems.

As an alternative to PT on Windows I would have suggested Nuendo, but it seems to have been repositioned as an audio post-production system for video, so it might not be suitable anymore.

On the other hand the sooner you find an alternative for PT the better. Avid seem to be in the process of a company melt-down which could have dire consequences for their end-users (and that's before we deal with all the iLok fiascos!)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1481543517' post='3193042']
I don't know what it's like on Windows (or the current version on the Mac TBH) but MotU always used to have their own way of doing things especially with the interface which means that there was a lot of extra code in their applications to do stuff that the OS should have been handling. This re-inventing of the wheel doesn't always make for the most stable or intuitive of systems.

As an alternative to PT on Windows I would have suggested Nuendo, but it seems to have been repositioned as an audio post-production system for video, so it might not be suitable anymore.

[i][b]On the other hand the sooner you find an alternative for PT the better. Avid seem to be in the process of a company melt-down which could have dire consequences for their end-users (and that's before we deal with all the iLok fiascos!)[/b][/i]
[/quote]

Good to know..

For live tracking it might be worth giving reaper a try - people over at the cockos forums have been sucessfully running reaper for big multitrack sessions on budget windows tablets. The benefits of no fan noise, being able to sit your transport controls pretty much anywhere (like a mic stand tablet clamp) when self-engineering and the uber compactness is worth taking a look at IMHO, assuming your 828 will play nice over USB.

I was a long time user of DP until recent studio requirements meant switching to Logic... I always felt that DP was up there with the best of them and that the plug in's they created were fantastic. I'd love to look at the latest version again at some point but current crop of work means living in Logic land.... which is ok.