Why become a member? ×

Marshall Jubilee - yay or nay?

John_P

As I'm looking for a new amp, I was offered an old Marshall Jubilee rig today - 300w 4x10 and 1x15 cabs, (In Black rather than the grey finish).

Any opinions? I was thinking of something like a tc or gk 2x10 or 1x15 combo so this is a lot bigger than I had planned but it's pretty cheep so I'm tempted.

For typical small/medium functions/parties with decent pa support.

Guest bassman7755

If I was in a rock band playing stadiums and had roadies to move it - maybe, in a working band where I needed something convenient and flexible - wouldn't touch it with a barge pole personally.

Edited by bassman7755

As the 2 above posts say, it will be heavier than modern equipment like TC 2x12's or 2x10's
It all depends on just how cheap it is, and whether you're sure you're willing to lug it around - this is especially "fun" when you get home at 1:30am after a late night gig, and you're tired because it was a long gig, and you had already done an 8 hour shift in your full-time job, earlier that day.... lol

A newer rig may cost you more, but these days, I much prefer loading / unloading the car with lighter weight.more compact gear. (I know I'm getting old!) Sounds like it may be overkill for your small / medium sized functions, and you may want to go for a newer amp head (which should be more reliable) Perhaps keep your eye on the marketplace here for a decent, compact, flexible rig?

Whatever you opt for - best of luck with your search & choice

Edited by Marc S

It won`t be light, and to be honest you`ll probably never need the 115, but it will sound immense. Plenty of guitarists use a 412 with a valve head and they never moan about the weight - or at least the ones in the bands I share the bill with don't. If you`ve the means of transport and band-members willing to help carry the cab, go for it. If my back wasn`t so bad I`d be pestering for the details of this myself.

I'm well used to lugging heavy gear around - my guitar gigs are with a marshall super lead or jubilee half stack, or a friedman asm active cab that is heavier than a Fender twin.

I had planned to get a simple grab and go lightweight combo but as the full stack (head, 4x10, 1x15) is less than the fee for 2 gigs I'll probably grab it. Maybe sell the 15 cab or flip the whole rig once I've done these gigs.

I guess my real question is - if you were offered it for next to nothing would you think it sounds great but the tradeoff is weight and size or dismiss it as old and so outclassed by modern gear in terms of sound.

I think the answer would depend on the individuals tone preference there. There are some who prefer the valve stuff, some who prefer the more modern amps, tools for the job really. Some would fork out a fortune for that tone, others would run a mile, irrespective of value. If you`re ok with the heavier gear - and like good old valve sounds - grab it while you can.

[URL=http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/johnpinchin2/media/1CFED007-EC32-474D-BF53-D12D452D6453_zpsfc4yg1lv.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w617/johnpinchin2/1CFED007-EC32-474D-BF53-D12D452D6453_zpsfc4yg1lv.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

So it's a big heavy old thing but sounds great and will pay for itself very quickly - I'll almost definitely just use one cab so need to see which sounds better.

Edited by John_P

I've never heard it, but I did ask a local player about this gear, because he mostly used it for high profile gigs through the 90's. I assumed it was just loud and free (endorsed) but he rated it very highly, and used it as his first choice for at least 15 years. I'd certainly try the amp, even if the cabs are a bit bulky.

Edited by BassBod

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1481383702' post='3191922']
yeah the head shouldn't be too much trouble, I have a Trace Elliot head that weighs about 13Kg, an easy one handed lift, that I use with a light weight cab.
[/quote]

Yes the head is very light, i could easily do one trip with a bass and amp then a second trip with the 1x15. The 4x10 is a bit heavier though and I wouldn't want to carry it far on my own. I suspect most gigs will be the 15 on it's own.

[quote name='John_P' timestamp='1481240784' post='3190987']

For typical small/medium functions/parties with decent pa support.
[/quote]

Doesn't fit the bill at all for this type of gig. You really don't need a big heavy rig.

Absolute bitch to sell if you decide to move it on in the future too.

I'd walk away, rapidly. . .

I used to have both of those Silver Jubilee cabs many years ago. They were not that heavy, but obviously not as light as a lot of gear you can get today.

it depends what you want and what you're prepared to shift at the end of the night. Personally I wouldn't touch a TC combo with a bargepole, but it might well work for you. If you are not bothered about super lightweight gear there are lots of great old American built SWR amps going for a song!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1481414414' post='3192206']
I used to have both of those Silver Jubilee cabs many years ago. They were not that heavy, but obviously not as light as a lot of gear you can get today.

it depends what you want and what you're prepared to shift at the end of the night. Personally I wouldn't touch a TC combo with a bargepole, but it might well work for you. If you are not bothered about super lightweight gear there are lots of great old American built SWR amps going for a song!
[/quote]

Can I ask a bit more about your opinion of the TC gear? I thought it had a decent reputation now, early models might not have been reliable and while it isn't the most exciting I thought it looked really good value?

If I ever gig I won't care about having a heavy rig. It probably takes 5 mins longer and more effort to unload etc. So be it.
If you like the design and sound buy it. Don't let others to influence you.
If I had spare cash I'd get Ampeg svt vintage and two 4x10 cabs.I wouldn't care about the weight.

[quote name='John_P' timestamp='1481477777' post='3192565']
Can I ask a bit more about your opinion of the TC gear? I thought it had a decent reputation now, early models might not have been reliable and while it isn't the most exciting I thought it looked really good value?
[/quote]
It is a bit difficult as it is all very subjective and if you are not careful you start throwing terms like ‘heft’ around. Also, I know some pretty decent players who obviously think that the weight advantage overweighs other considerations to the point that they quite happily use TC amps.

However, personally I think that they are underpowered and thin sounding. I have been told that apparently, they are naturally heavily compressed to the extent that it sucks all of the life out of the tone. I use a little compression (sparingly) but never anything like to that extent. Certainly, you could never compare them to a decent old SWR amp (as I mentioned in the previous post) or many others. Don’t get me wrong, I think that some new lightweight gear is a reasonable compromise between weight and tone – I have always thought that Mark Bass make pretty convincing amps (I have a 102 combo) and the Aguilar TH stuff sounds pretty good to me, but not Genz Benz and especially not TC.

But of course, that is my opinion and there are many good players out there who may not agree…

Edited by peteb

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1481478737' post='3192578']
If I ever gig I won't care about having a heavy rig. [/quote]

So does that mean you haven't? Try it and you might change your mind!

My amp rig peaked with an Ashdown lead sled amp, 4x10 and 1x15 stack. The down to GK 1001 and neo cabs, then now to Gk class D and barefaced. Trust me, the smaller and lighter the better!

I gigged in my late teens and early 20's. My 300 w Peavey combo weighed a ton.

My current 100w Fender rumble is feather weight and gives out lots of power but for a gig I'd choose something beefy.
I would go to a war driving a tank not waving a feather duster.😂

Me too, but the difference is that a tank is suitable for war and feather duster is not. For your analogy to stand lightweight gear would have to be unsuitable for a gig.

Not directed at you SH73 but I could see the appeal someone might have if one were to gig very rarely. It might be a nice treat to lug the old tube head down the stairs and clean out the car boot to fit the 8x10. I think once you hit twice a month or so though people seem to see the gig itself as the treat and the surrounding load in, travel etc as just a necessary pita. When I know a gig has supplied backline the 'artiste' part of me will whinge about not having 'my sound' or whatever but the rest of me is really, really happy for the 5 minute tear down!

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1481550185' post='3193148']
..........When I know a gig has supplied backline the 'artiste' part of me will whinge about not having 'my sound' or whatever but the rest of me is really, really happy for the 5 minute tear down!
[/quote]

Haven't done a shared backline for many years, but as I read this, I chuckled, remembering how I used to just unplug my bass, put it in its case and go back into the crowd. Lovely.

A lot of the gigs we do are outdoor or marquees, biker rallies, birthday parties, that kind of stuff. There's nearly always a backline IME, either from the sound company or just from one of the bands that's playing. Shame about pubs though!

Although as I understand it, originals bands often play multi-band bills and they have shared backline. It might be time to join one...... :-)

Yep, the majority of the gigs my band do there is either a provided backline or we all liaise as to which band brings what, to speed up changeovers and maximise on-stage time. That`s why I get all my eq/sound from pedals, no matter what rig I`m using and how it sounds on stage I know that the audience are getting what I wnat them to have FOH.