Why become a member? ×

Squier Vintage Modified Precision V

No lust in Jazz

I bought one of these recently, I bought it as I wanted a five stringed bass with a maple board and nothing that I fancied had come up in the classifieds.

I originally thought that I'd be changing stuff out on it - but no - ok the bridge is a BBOT, it works, the tuners stay in tune the pick up is wonderfully boisterous, the electronics - just work.

It took a bit of setting up out of the box, I rehearsed with it last night playing the material for our forthcoming Xmas gigs - something about its simplicity just put a massive smile on my face.

Its just a great bass - irrespective of the £250 price tag.

Here it is at the sound check of a recent gig

Edited by No lust in Jazz

They really are fantastic basses aren't they - and at any price IMHO.

I've added a switchable active circuit to mine which makes it more versatile but keeps the character of the sound intact and chrome covers purely for looks but I gigged it un-modified very happily for a good while.

[URL=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Richard_Pain/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0512_1_zps0tswxhtp.jpg.html][IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e113/Richard_Pain/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0512_1_zps0tswxhtp.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It's actually my favorite of all the basses that I've owned (which has included some pretty high end stuff over the years) so nice to see someone else feeling the love for these humble Squiers.

Edited by Painy

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1481394123' post='3192055']
They really are fantastic basses aren't they - and at any price IMHO.

I've added a switchable active circuit to mine which makes it more versatile but keeps the character of the sound intact and chrome covers purely for looks but I gigged it un-modified very happily for a good while.
[/quote]

Which circuit did you add? As much as I love this bass a bit more versatility would come in handy.

[quote name='StephenYork' timestamp='1481502716' post='3192801']

Which circuit did you add? As much as I love this bass a bit more versatility would come in handy.
[/quote]

It's actually an old Dan Armstrong Yellow Humper which I had modified so I could install it into the bass.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/287810-activificating-my-p-bass-special-thanks-to-kiogon/page__fromsearch__1

I got a CAR Squier VM after some comments from the Blues Brothers Tribute about the "Duck Dunn" vibe. Must admit I am astonished how good it is.
I was preparing myself for some major upgrades but really it doesn't need it.
That said I've changed the BBOT bridge to a Wilkinson Vintage one and picked up a mint green pickguard off here. Changed the pots to CTS whilst swapping the pickguard over and also changed the jack to a Switchcraft one, ( that was a necessity in my opinion).
Stonking bit of kit and getting plenty of use.

Edited by BassBunny

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1481886906' post='3195931']
Having got rid of my Fender Jazz 5 string for being too heavy (10lb+) I have wondered whether the Squier P 5 might be a lighter alternative. Do you know what it weighs in at?
[/quote]
It's like any bass, the weights will vary due to the nature of the wood used. Mine is around 8lbs, but there are heavier ones.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1481893875' post='3196028']
Thanks Bassbunny, point taken on variations but if a particular model has some lighter ones out there then at least it's worth pursuing. Some are just never light!
[/quote]
True that. I must admit my first question if in the market for a bass is "How Heavy".

Having got rid of my Fender Jazz 5 string for being too heavy (10lb+) I have wondered whether the Squier P 5 might be a lighter alternative. Do you know what it weighs in at?
[/quote]

Mine just rung up exactly 4kg.

In respect of weight, I've played heavier 5 strings (Xotic Jazz) but within reason, just as important as weight is balance and this is pretty well balanced.

I played a gig with mine at the weekend, (LiveRooms in Chester) the comment from the engineer who sees a lot of pro bands was - 'That's one of the nicest bass sounds I've worked with'. We recorded the gig and having heard the raw desk mix I see why he said that.

[/quote]

Arrived today. I like it alot so far. Bought it for a "next to nothing" Price and it sounds like a P-Bass should. Weight is 3,8 Kg, wich is 8,377 lbs. I'd like to put some Flatwounds on it. Has someone tried the Dunlop Flatwounds?
Here ist is...

[url=http://abload.de/image.php?img=20161221-pc21001702jx7.jpg][/url]

Edited by AREA

Squier basses really are fantastic in the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified range, the bassist in a band I used to play drums in had a CV, it was beautiful. I also say that when it comes to guitars the CV strats are my favourite strats by far, even against Fenders. The Tele I own is also one of the best guitars I've ever played. I'm gassing a bit for one of these now or just a CV Precision... What are the pickups like OP?