Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision

Gottastopbuyinggear

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1483906063' post='3211050']
North of £400 for a Squier doesn't make sense to me.
[/quote]

Why not?

I remember paying £325 or so for a Squier CV60s in fiesta red. At the time I was "uf, over £300 for a Squier seems a bit pricey" when I started looking at these basses, but the minute I got my hands in one, it made sense. They did not feel like the budget bass the Squiers I had tried before did.

£300-400 for a 'Classic Vibe' Precision (or the similar quality Matt Freeman, Roger Waters etc) doesn't seem extraordinary when you think a Fender MIM will be around £600 and a MIA around £1000.
There are cheaper Squier Precisions, around £180-200, and they're ok, but the CV series is a substantial step up in quality.

I'm lucky enough to have the fiesta red one and the sonic blue one, The blue has flats and the red rounds.I'd NEVER sell them them, I've owned Fender P basses MIM and USA but these to me just feel and play superb! I'm toying with the idea of having one converted to a PJ but so far can't bring meself to have one altered! If you get a chance to own one, get it.

Edited by Basscabman

Any love for Affinity PJs here? I don't normally buy at that price point (listen to me, what a prat....) but I plugged one in in a shop in Leeds awhile back and was almost laughing out loud at how good it played and sounded, lovely construction too. £200! She is my "bedroom bass" now, think I might pop a couple of Barts in and see how she turns out.

Edited by Defo

[quote name='Defo' timestamp='1484054986' post='3212242']
Any love for Affinity PJs here? I don't normally buy at that price point (listen to me, what a prat....) but I plugged one in in a shop in Leeds awhile back and was almost laughing out loud at how good it played and sounded, lovely construction too. £200! She is my "bedroom bass" now, think I might pop a couple of Barts in and see how she turns out.
[/quote]
i have an affinity jazz and its suprisingly good with a lovely sound, should play it more tbh

I have an Affinity P-Bass; it cost me £50.
It's now got a Mighty Mite neck on it (that cost me £50 too!).
And a Hipshot D-tuner (yep, another £50).
And a Badass bridge (I've had it many years, but it probably cost £50).
And a Shadow pickup (that was less than £50).
I'll probably replace the body at some point, and then it'll be de-Squired.
I will then have all the Squier bits to put together and start again though...
or I might sell it (for £50!).

So I have picked up some Entwistle pickups for my Matt Freeman p-bass and as stated earlier the pickup covers have long ears and won't fit. I need to get different pickup covers. Finding it hard to see which ones might work. Would these be ok do you think? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KBYYYFW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30B8VBSCA3EJZ or has anyone got a link to where they got pickup covers that fitted?

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1484071416' post='3212453']
I have an Affinity P-Bass; it cost me £50.
It's now got a Mighty Mite neck on it (that cost me £50 too!).
And a Hipshot D-tuner (yep, another £50).
And a Badass bridge (I've had it many years, but it probably cost £50).
And a Shadow pickup (that was less than £50).
I'll probably replace the body at some point, and then it'll be de-Squired.
I will then have all the Squier bits to put together and start again though...
or I might sell it (for £50!).
[/quote]

Sounds like Trigger's bass rather than his broom :P

[quote name='Mister RLP' timestamp='1484082975' post='3212598']
So I have picked up some Entwistle pickups for my Matt Freeman p-bass and as stated earlier the pickup covers have long ears and won't fit. I need to get different pickup covers. Finding it hard to see which ones might work. Would these be ok do you think? https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KBYYYFW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30B8VBSCA3EJZ or has anyone got a link to where they got pickup covers that fitted?
[/quote]

Are these sealed pups or could you take out the insides and use the original covers? I think thats one of the solutions i used, although i do remember taking a file to the pickguard at first. Ive had a look but cant see where i got my covers from, but i think I actually replaced the pcikguard as well at some point and that seemed to go on fine without any modification when i had a EMG in my CVP.

[quote name='Mister RLP' timestamp='1484082975' post='3212598']
So I have picked up some Entwistle pickups for my Matt Freeman p-bass and as stated earlier the pickup covers have long ears and won't fit. I need to get different pickup covers. Finding it hard to see which ones might work. Would these be ok do you think? [url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KBYYYFW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30B8VBSCA3EJZ"]https://www.amazon.c...=A30B8VBSCA3EJZ[/url] or has anyone got a link to where they got pickup covers that fitted?
[/quote]

I got mine from 'guitars_electric' on eBay:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-PICKUP-COVERS-in-BLACK-CREAM-or-WHITE-to-fit-Precision-P-Bass-guitar-/190980490847?var=&hash=item2c7753065f:m:mOj0wiAk5TV65_6pNY9TY3g"]http://www.ebay.co.u...5TV65_6pNY9TY3g[/url]

Some black ones for the Matt Freeman, which fitted perfectly in the pickguard, and white ones for the Mike Dirnt:

Edited by mcnach

[quote] [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Are these sealed pups or could you take out the insides and use the original covers? I think thats one of the solutions i used, although i do remember taking a file to the pickguard at first. Ive had a look but cant see where i got my covers from, but i think I actually replaced the pcikguard as well at some point and that seemed to go on fine without any modification when i had a EMG in my CVP. [/font][/color][/quote]

Not sealed but seem stuck in quite firmly. The Entwistles when they arrived yesterday had one cover off and the other cover was easy to prise away. Seemed they were glued in place. Is this what I should do - use glue - or just place the covers over the pickups? Don't really want to go down the replacing the whole pick guard route if I can help it - although did this with the Ric I used to own.

[quote] [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I got mine from 'guitars_electric' on eBay:[/font][/color]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-PICKUP-COVERS-in-BLACK-CREAM-or-WHITE-to-fit-Precision-P-Bass-guitar-/190980490847?var=&hash=item2c7753065f:m:mOj0wiAk5TV65_6pNY9TY3g"]http://www.ebay.co.u...5TV65_6pNY9TY3g[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Some black ones for the Matt Freeman, which fitted perfectly in the pickguard, and white ones for the Mike Dirnt:[/font][/color] [/quote]

Thanks for the pics and the link. I think the Amazon link I found are the same people - so result. Cheers.

[quote name='Mister RLP' timestamp='1484162687' post='3213218']
Is this what I should do - use glue - or just place the covers over the pickups?
[/quote]

Just place the covers over the pickups, and make sure you have enough foam underneath so that the pickup presses firmly against the cover.

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just place the covers over the pickups, and make sure you have enough foam underneath so that the pickup presses firmly against the cover.[/font][/color][/quote]

Cheers. Have ordered the pickup covers.

Edited by Mister RLP

I was in Guitar Guitar Birmingham on Thursday and they had a used CV 60s P-bass in Fiesta Red.

It was up for £215.

The previous owner had changed the knobs for muliti-coloured Strat-type plastic ones. The bridge looked a bit more chunky than a 60s bridge, but not being au fait with these models that may be standard for the bass?

Anyway, for anyone looking for a s/hand one...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1484487297' post='3215792']
Standard CV bridge is chunky with brass saddles, and you'll struggle to replace it with a vintage style as the hole spacing isn't standard on the CV. But £215 is a great deal!
[/quote]

Thats not true in the case of my two CV's. Ive had a Fender BBOT on my CVP and now both have Gotah 201's on them. Never needed to drill or fill the holes

I really like the chunkier style of bridge on the CV's. They seem more of a high-mass type. The brass saddles seem really solid too. I don't know about changing the bridge. Personally I'd leave the original bridge in place, in preference to the more standard BBOT bridge.
At £215 - I'd go for it! That's a really good price for one IMO.
Just change the knobs back to the more standard Fender P type

You'd be hard pushed to find anything else that even comes near touching it for that sort of money
Hell, if you added another 150 quid to the price, you'd be hard pushed to get anything as good....

Fair enough. I like to have one or two differences between my basses though - so I'm more comfortable with different basses....
Perhaps that's a bit odd on my part, but I think I'm more comfortable on other peoples basses than I used to be

No, not odd at all.

For what its worth ive had a Lakland JO4 neck on my CV Jazz most of its life, but its also been on the CVP as well. The CVP has had the CV Jazz neck on it most of its life as well, as i prefer jazz necks, and the CV Jazz neck is one of the best ive played.

• 11 months later...