Why become a member? ×

Status S2 preamp swap out - worth it?

lowregisterhead

I'm looking for a bit of general guidance on whether a different preamp will really be able to change the sonic character of a bass, in this case a Status S2 5-string thru-neck.

The bass is lovely to play, sits really nicely, and I like the look and general ergonomics of the instrument. However, regardless of how I fiddle with the eq, it has a high-mid bark that I can't seem to dial out, and getting a clear, glassy top end out if it seems to be beyond the capabilities of the current preamp (an 18v 302 board).

Is it worth fitting, say, a John East Uni-Pre (I've had several different East preamps and they've all been great) or would I be wasting my time & money?

All advice gratefully received!

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1481327158' post='3191623']
I'm looking for a bit of general guidance on whether a different preamp will really be able to change the sonic character of a bass, in this case a Status S2 5-string thru-neck.

The bass is lovely to play, sits really nicely, and I like the look and general ergonomics of the instrument. However, regardless of how I fiddle with the eq, it has a high-mid bark that I can't seem to dial out, and getting a clear, glassy top end out if it seems to be beyond the capabilities of the current preamp (an 18v 302 board).

Is it worth fitting, say, a John East Uni-Pre (I've had several different East preamps and they've all been great) or would I be wasting my time & money?

All advice gratefully received!
[/quote]

Have you tried changing string type yet? I went through two pickup replacements and two aftermarket preamps plus one DIY one in a similar scenario (too dark in my case though) before I finally got around to trying that. The third preamp did help a lot, but the strings probably made even more difference, and starting there might have gotten me close enough to what I wanted to not bother trying all those other tweaks.

[quote name='Passinwind' timestamp='1481351356' post='3191666']
Have you tried changing string type yet? I went through two pickup replacements and two aftermarket preamps plus one DIY one in a similar scenario (too dark in my case though) before I finally got around to trying that. The third preamp did help a lot, but the strings probably made even more difference, and starting there might have gotten me close enough to what I wanted to not bother trying all those other tweaks.
[/quote]

A very good point, and not one I had really considered. When I bought the bass, I just stuck on a set of my favourite make and gauge of strings - D'Addario EXL170-5 Nickels, 45/65/85/100/130. Status's own Hotwire string range doesn't even include Nickel strings, only steel. Perhaps I should try a set in a lighter gauge... [edit]... but I remember now trying some years ago when I had a headless and I didn't care for them, they felt rougher and much more 'grabby' than the D'Addarios.

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1481495785' post='3192752']
A very good point, and not one I had really considered. When I bought the bass, I just stuck on a set of my favourite make and gauge of strings - D'Addario EXL170-5 Nickels, 45/65/85/100/130. Status's own Hotwire string range doesn't even include Nickel strings, only steel. Perhaps I should try a set in a lighter gauge... [edit]... but I remember now trying some years ago when I had a headless and I didn't care for them, they felt rougher and much more 'grabby' than the D'Addarios.
[/quote]

Try a set of the Hot Wire 'Half Rounds'. I find the Hot Wire Rounds a bit aggressive and moved over to the halfs on my Streamline a few years back (40s - 100s). I find them a fair bit smoother but they still have plenty of top end. I've since put these on my MM with similar good results.

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1481817464' post='3195431']
Try a set of the Hot Wire 'Half Rounds'. I find the Hot Wire Rounds a bit aggressive and moved over to the halfs on my Streamline a few years back (40s - 100s). I find them a fair bit smoother but they still have plenty of top end. I've since put these on my MM with similar good results.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Disappointed to report that an experiment in lighter gauge steels (Swing Bass SM665) came quickly unstuck today when the B string was as dead as a flabby rubber band straight out of the pack, the very same reason I stopped using Rotosounds in the 80's... quickly put the old D'Addarios back on again, normal service resumed.

• 1 month later...

Please do update. I swapped out the pre on my Status Series 1 for an Aguilar OBP3 with active/passive switching and switchable mid point too.
Sounds incredible and passive is lovely, so is having a mid control too!

Edited by dyerseve