Why become a member? ×

Best 5 string bass you've ever owned and why?

Al Krow

This thread was very helpful to me when I was first looking to get a 5 string nearly 3 years back, and didn't know my 'benchmark' Fender from the back of my Yammy. I now pretty much only play 5'ers! There have been a bunch of new and excellent 5 string basses released in the past couple of years so, in case there are fellow BC'ers who are looking for a steer on getting a 5'er, I thought it might be timely to ask folk to share thoughts on their current 5 string bass favourites to bring this thread up to date. 

My original post below:  kinda amusing that I thought I would have the self control to only get one 5er; I've just recently got my collection up to six having moved another four on along the way :)

Hey BCs - it's nearly Xmas and I'm thinking about treating myself to a 5 string (probably passive) bass. I play in a couple of rock and pop covers bands with music ranging from 50s rockabilly to the modern day and have been purely 4 string focussed so far. This is likely to be my only purchase of a 5 string, so I'd be really keen to hear from you about your own choices, particularly if you LOVE your 5 string!

Edited by Al Krow

Hey Chris - had a quick look on the web, I see that Guitar-Guitar stock them in the UK. They do look good and I must admit weren't on my radar. Are you playing one yourself, if so which model? How would you say they stack up against the "benchmark" Fender Jazz 5 string?

My Maruszczyk Elwood is the best 5 string bass I have played, but then it is customised to me, so I guess it would be. After that, my Ibanez 1605 (which is what the Maruszczyk neck is based on) is one of the better ones too.

At the other end of the scale, the Ibanez ATK, which are pretty cheap, is really nice to play, although pretty ugly to look at :D

2 of the best 5 string basses I've played was a Ken Smith and a Fodera. Even second hand, these basses are way beyond my budget. Different league and a lottery win away for me, I'm afraid. Also a level of quality beyond my old Soul and R&B playing style.

The current basses I own are my best so far. I have a US 55-94 Lakland and a Mike Lull PJ5. Great sounding and playing basses. I have a Fender Am Std Jazz V which is good but the other 2 get all the gigs.

I've just picked up a Lull M5V. Haven't gigged with it yet, but from playing it at home I think it might be my new #1 bass.

I have been through a few 5 strings now and would say that my top two would be a Lakland 55-02 and then my old MusicMan Stingray 5. I loved the sound of the stingray but the string spacing was way too tight for me.

The Lakland has been super reliable and consistent for me, good B string definition and the EQ on board I find very subtle, and musical and I only ever need to cut or boost a small amount.

If it had been lighter, aYamaha TRB-5pii

There's one up for sale currently but they're all about 11/12lbs.

It was just a really special instrument, very well made and lots of sounds to be had. Having recently taken delivery of an SB-1000, it reminds me of the Yamaha, the quality and finish.

Would love one around 9lbs

I have a Peavey GV graphite necked bass which the Yamaha lost out to as it did more or less the same job, and was a whole 2lbs lighter. Think the Yamaha was just a little better, but was twice the price...

Edited by AndyTravis

Nice thread. I'm interested in finding a nice 5 fretless.
Right now my go-to is a Warwick Corvette 5 with a bubinga body

I also have a Thumb. Out of the two I find the tone in the Corvette has less attack. So, the jury is out to decide which I keep.
Both have Elixir strings, but those on the Thumb are older. Both are no light-weight though.

My current 'go to' gigging 5 string is a German made Warwick Corvette. I really enjoy playing it. It has a rich, deep tone that is consistent across all the strings. Relatively light and smallish bodied.
Personally, I don't think it wise to skimp on the strings for a 5er. Too many cheap sets have a B that would be better served strung across two posts keeping cattle in the field. I go for Newtones.

All of the Yamaha 5s I've tried have been great value for the money.
I have been underwhelmed by the Fender 5s I've played, although I haven't tried one of the more expensive models.
I've got a Mexican fender jazz 5 as a passive backup bass and it's pretty average and heavy.

Edited by Len_derby

Favourite - Spector Euro 5LX
Least favourite - A Yamaha 5 string (forgotten the model but was passive) which almost led to me giving up playing bass altogether.

The Euro is so easy to play and despite its 35" scale doesn't require gorilla arms/hands to play it.

Edited by darkandrew
  • Like 1

I am new to the world of 5 string basses. I tried a couple on a whim a few years back but didn't get on with them. A recent project means I need one so I persevered and now find I like them... but my requirements are fairly specific in that they have to be light weight and with a narrow string spacing. Sadly that kind of excludes all the Fender 5ers I have looked at, even though I am a Fender type of person. Anyway, of the narrow light ones I haven't tried too many but here goes.

I bought an unusually lightweight Musicman Sterling 5er on here - stock it was around 8.5lbs! Width of the nut is 43mm, spacing 18mm at the bridge. I had Andyjr1515 put an Aguilar vintage Precision pickup in the P bass 'sweet spot', do a little extra routing to conserve weight and change it to passive. I also put lightweight tuners on it. It is totally fabulous, the best bass I have owned. A reasonably expensive project, though.

I just bought as a back up 5er a Yamaha BB425, New it was £315. It was also around 10lbs, which is a bit heavy. A set of Hipshot Licensed Ultralite tuners has reduced this to a more acceptable 9 and a bit lbs. 43mm at the nut, 18mm spacing at the bridge. Exceptional value for money - if I didn't have the Sterling I'd be happy to use this all the time. Which given the post above proves that it is all so subjective! :)

The Yamaha replaced a Peavey Foundation 5er. This was even narrower string spacing - nut was 42mm, strings 16mm at the bridge. Also a tad heavy at 9.5lbs. Lightweight tuners would cure that, though. I prefer the Precision sound so moved it on in favour of the Yamaha but this was a decent bass.

Hohner B2V - 5 string headless and body-less. Narrow string spacing, electrics don't work exactly right but it is good enough to use as a portable 'get out of jail free' bass in case my main one fails/string breaks. Probably my least favourite of the 4 I have tried.

How would you say they stack up against the "benchmark" Fender Jazz 5 string?

I would say the fender Jazz 5 string is not a benchmark. The 4 clearly is a benchmark for basses, but I have tried from squier to the American 5 string jazz basses and none of them gave me the impression they were just a 4 string jazz with another one tacked on as an afterthought that didn't really work well, which I guess they were, but most other manufacturers 5s don't come across that way, the yamahas, the ibanezes, most of the others mentioned here etc. Maybe it is just because the necks are way to wide for me to play so I don't really see it but they don't seem to play well or sound right. Edited by Dad3353

My ACG Finn Uber spec:

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/portfolio/0148u-finn-5/

Each pickup has two coils per string so the articulation is completely different to the usual one coil per pickup. The neck is very rigid and the B string is like no other I've played (I've owned nearly 100 basses, not all 5 string). It feels more like an E. The latest spec filter pre-amp gives the adjustment of a low pass filter on each pickup, an active blend between pickups and there is a resonant peak control on top that has a significant effect on tonal range. There is also a high and low mid boost on each low pass filter. Add to this sweepable mids and a passive tone control, just like a Fender and that's it. Oh and there an active/passive switch but you still need power to supply the pickups.

Add to this Alan's playability from perfect balance and fretwork on a flat board that is as good as any bass on this planet and there you have it.

It is a bit weighty but we knew this from the choice of woods that were informed from my 89 NT Thumb. Even the tuners are the smoothest and best geared I've ever used.

I have had a play on a couple of Fodera's and I didn't feel they were as good.

Peter

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

Shuker 5’s are amazing basses and so are the 4’s! Custom made by one of the finest luthiers in the UK and as each one is built by hand with different woods and hardware, each is unique.
They always seem to have excellent set-ups too.

Edited by Dad3353

I would say the fender Jazz 5 string is not a benchmark. The 4 clearly is a benchmark for basses, but I have tried from squier to the American 5 string jazz basses and none of them gave me the impression they were just a 4 string jazz with another one tacked on as an afterthought that didn't really work well, which I guess they were, but most other manufacturers 5s don't come across that way, the yamahas, the ibanezes, most of the others mentioned here etc. Maybe it is just because the necks are way to wide for me to play so I don't really see it but they don't seem to play well or sound right.

I half agree with this, I've never found a Mex 5 that felt good and the pre 2008 (?) US Jazz V feels really odd as you say, like a four string with a B string tagged on, but the post 2012 with the 4+1 headstock version feels great, very good B on mine, great finish too. I have fitted a preamp as I don't get on with passive basses but that was just a personal thing. Edited by Dad3353

When I saw the title I was thinking SR5, Ibanez prestige or a G&L or yammy maybe but by suggesting probably a passive I'm struggling

I would suggest a warwick 5 but wouldn't worry about the passive bit...Also get something that feels familiar so that swapping isn't a big deal.

I don't like the 5 string F' jazzes at all, either in terms of sound of playability. A recent fender 5 precision maybe but I don't have experience of them

Edited by Pinball

When I saw the title I was thinging SR5, Ibanez prestige or a G&L or yammy maybe but by suggesting probably a passive I'm struggling

The G&L L2500 is passive if you switch the switch off. The tone control is entirely passive, and the preamp is after it. Its set up well, noiseless and you can't actually tell the difference between passive and active unless you push the switch to the treble boost. Edited by Dad3353

Best 5 strings I've ever owned are alembic and my series II Alembic in particular .There is no sound I need that I can't get from that bass. I've used it for everything from jazz/funk, reggae, blues, rock, soul r&b, funk, pop, country and it has ever failed to deliver. Not cheap to buy new but if you are savvy you can find great condition used ones like I did. Never regretted it for a minute. I'd highly recommend them, even the more affordable models can be picked now on the second hand market keenly priced. Unfortunately if you prefer passive then these are unlikely to be up your street.

Guys - some really useful insights so far, thank you - please keep them coming! I've already had my eyes opened to thinking "above and beyond" a Fender 5 string and it seems a lot of you also prefer to go with active rather than passive for your 5 string. My 4 string is a Sandberg California TM (which I love) and has dual active / passive capability, but I've always been comfortable with playing it in passive mode. Right, I'd best start thinking about getting my s*** together for tonight's gig, my last for this year...looking forward to following up on / reading your further comments.

I have a Sadowsky which is nice and a Vigier Arpege which is also very nice.

I think that the best approach is to try a bunch of basses and buy the one you like the most. Recommendations from other players will only get you so far. A 10/10 bass for one bassist will be a 7/10 bass for another.

For a passive 5 string I would have a look a Mike Lull if you like the Fender look. However I personally prefer having a nice preamp and EQ options if I am paying upwards of £2000 for a bass that isn't a vintage Fender.

If you already have a 4 string Sandberg, I certainly wouldn't discount a 5 string Sandberg as it would be a great, well-rounded bass that would work for any number of styles.