Why become a member? ×

i have absolutely no rythm

Rolie

Humans are rhythmic creatures, our hearts beat to a rhythm & we breath rhythmically so you do have a sense of rhythm/time inbuilt.
To put it into a musical context all you have to do is work on it, as already said can you tap to the beat of a song? Why do you think you have no rhythm? Is it because you can't dance?
Your sense of time is definitely something that can be improved, even after years of playing music.

You can learn how to be better at rhythm, so its not an issue (but at the same time you'd need to actually learn rhythm-related stuff, not just pass it by if you're self taught etc).

I believe there's certain things which are much harder to learn than others. Playing in time is kinda middle-of-the-road. Perfect pitch, I believe is impossible to learn, if you don't have it naturally then you will never get completely there, although you can learn good relative pitch. Also (unrelated to bass guitar, but relevant in a wider sense) if you can't do the embrochure to certain wind instruments after a reasonable time trying, its possible that you're simply not physically able to play them properly, eg due to mouth shape, teeth, anatomy etc.

All told, bass is pretty easy to get started on, although of course you can learn and improve to be a very good musician over time.

Where does this idea you have no rhythm come from? Don't equate it with finding dancing difficult for example! Download a metronome or drum machine onto your phone, just tap along to start. Once you can find the pulse easily you're off. Do the same with nice loud tracks you enjoy, (because they're likely to have a strong pulse) and it will get easier and easier. After that, then start experimenting with how the beats divide to become more complex. Some of my students really benefitted from learning some basic drum patterns to play on the desk for example, which helps with context. But the important thing is to be involved physically with what you're hearing, and like most people on here I absolutely promise you you'll get the knack. Enjoy it!