Why become a member? ×

NGD - vintage Korean plywood

Beer of the Bass

I've just picked up this guitar from someone on a local facebook buy/sell group, as I'd been fancying a 335 type and this one was a very good deal. It's a Hondo Revival H935, and from the information I can find online it was made in Korea, probably by Samick, mid to late 80s. It's interesting that it uses the Gibson headstock shape, as I had thought that the copies had stopped doing that some years earlier than this guitar (but maybe that was only for guitars sold in the US?).

The seller's dad had played it in a wedding band, and it's does look like it's been well played. I've seen some Hondo badged instruments of dubious quality, but this one seems very well put together. It's built in the classic 335 style with a mahogany centre block, long-tenon glued neck, and the neck is maple with a volute at the headstock. The tuners are quite serviceable Grovers and the only thing I could really criticise is the pickups, which are cheaply made ceramic magnet types, unpotted and held together with glue inside. Oddly, they don't sound too bad but that might be something I'll upgrade. It may get some sort of vibrato too, if I'm going to use it with my band.
It would benefit from a fret dress, which I'll do at some point, but overall I'm really pleased with it. I think I'll enjoy playing this one...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1481376472' post='3191844']
The only issue with my Hondo II Les Paul is the intonation from the 12th fret up on two strings.

How's yours?
[/quote]

There don't seem to be any issues on this one. Is it dodgy fret placement on yours, or just not enough adjustment range on the bridge?